Model S

COVID-19 discussion thread for all

Comments

• edited March 27
    Watched the Cuomo press conf on twitter today. Very informative. NYC is litmus test for rest of metro areas IMO. Stats: 35k + infected. 1/7 (>5k) hospitalized and 1200 in ICU. That is about 1/30 ending up in ICU. Not your granny's flu. CV19 patients on vent for 11-21 days vs. 3-5 days for average respiratory arrest patient. That is where the major concern for need for vents lies. I think Elon delivered a bunch to NYC today. Good man . NYC patients being 'farmed out' to neighboring facilities to alleviate bed shortage. Peak of rate of rise of number of infected important focus. I suspect that will peak very soon (days not weeks) as opposed to Italy's slower rise, due to sudden onset of extensive testing.
  • edited March 27
    He was wrong. If the virus is as easily transmitted as he thinks, it is, then many more people already had it and thought it was the flu, they did. That means his mortality rate estimate is absurdly high. We, those of us dealing with this in reality, already know this. That’s why many of us call it a bad cold. Many of us will get it and understand. If you don’t have a comorbidity, 99.999999999% you’ll be ok.
  • edited March 27
    Perspective... The CDC last week recorded at least 36 million flu illnesses, 370,000 hospitalizations and 22,000 deaths from flu... 600 of those deaths in California.
  • edited March 27
    Darth, comorbidity? You mean like smoking, age over 70, diabetes, obesity, immune or lung issues, and a few others that put at least 1-10% of the CV19+ in the ground depending on locale? Whew, I'm glad you said that. I thought maybe this was a serious outbreak that perhaps a million or more could die from. Believe me, I know where you are coming from. The disruption in our/world economy is also devastating. I've taken heat for stating this will be over sooner than many think and that we should not hog tie the entire work force for more than the next few weeks. However, unless we get our testing, isolation, and containment up to snuff, this could end up being worse case scenario or protracted mass quarantine and extended economic hardship. NYC is a case in point. Too little, too late and now it's all about damage control. My sense is that we are finally getting results from isolation in many other areas in US and won't see another NYC - like calamity.
  • edited November -1
    NY is unfortunate and I admire what I’ve seen from Cuomo. However, 4000+ die from the Flu virus there. That’s with a vaccine and treatment being available. The narrative being driven by the media is not in line with the data from the field.
  • edited March 27
    Yes, I was impressed with his concise, logical explanation of unfolding events and plan of action. A true statesman and leader. Very little in the way of blame or politicizing. I can see why some feel he would be a better choice than Biden or Sanders. Not a high wall to scale....Insofar as data from the field, it is too early to declare this less than a catastrophic loss of life for NYC and elsewhere. Hopefully more like Germany's percent dead and not like Italy's. So far, more like Germany.
  • edited March 27
    I think it will end up pretty bad loss of life. Unfortunately there’s nothing we can do about it without destroying our way of life and economy until there’s a vaccine. I think Cuomo has his eyes on 2024. I wouldn’t vote for him, he’s too anti 2nd Amendment, but I give credit where it’s due. I’m a little less worried about a President Cuomo than I would have been because the right Federal Judges have been put in place to contain the damage but that’s another matter. But again credit where it’s due and I wish Cuomo luck with this terrible crisis in NY.
  • edited March 27
    Not sure there is 'nothing' we can do. I mean if we do nothing we might as well feed a good percent of our population to the wolves. Not what most would chose. A balance to severely slow the CV19 spread and maintain our economy is what is needed and I suspect what we'll get if Trump is reasonable regarding the options. A vaccine is good for next wave, not this one. We will be practicing social distancing and common sense hygienic practices for months. We will feel the effects of this for years regardless of what comes next. Our way of life will be muted for some time. We are fortunate this is not a more virulent entity and hopefully will continue NOT to mutate into one. From what I can tell the markets have priced in what has happened thus far and perhaps a bit worse. We will recover fairly quickly but perhaps not to near the levels prior for a few years or more. Tesla may be a beneficiary of ICE makers being less flexible financially to pursue a robust competitive EV platform.
  • edited March 27
    Lighten up.

A plane with 5 passengers on board: Donald Trump, Boris Johnson, The Pope, Jacinda Ardern and a 10-year-old school girl is about to crash and there are only 4 parachutes.
    Trump says: I need one, I am the smartest man in the USA and I am needed to solve the pandemic crisis. He takes one and jumps.
    Johnson says: I'm needed to sort out the COVID 19 probem in Britain. He takes a parachute and jumps.
    The Pope says: the world's Catholics need me to give comfort in such times. He takes one and jumps.
    Jacinda says to the 10-year-old: you can have the last parachute dear. I have lived a good part of my life and yours has just begun.
    Don't worry, said the girl, there are two parachutes left, the smartest man in the USA just took my schoolbag.
  • edited March 27
    Gates seems a lot more well versed than people here, having studied CV pandemics for years now and he’s ponying up $100M in foundation support. Politically, the biggest threat is irrevocable, full-throated fascism and the death of US democracy.
  • edited November -1
    @Darth
    "Just an over-exaggerated panicdemic caused by 21st century media, social media mixed with partisan politics during an election year."

I had no idea the Italians and Spaniards would be willing to sacrifice so many lives just to support a fake media agenda attempting to influence the US elections. What dedication!
  • edited March 27
    A recent NYT op-ed revealed (with some personal editorial derivations) . . . The USA's PINO has put on display during the C-19 pandemic the traits that Democrats and some Republicans consider so jarring – the profound need for personal praise, the propensity to blame others, the lack of human empathy, the penchant for rewriting history, the disregard for scientific expertise, the distortion of facts, the impatience with scrutiny or criticism. For years, skeptics have expressed concern about how he would handle a genuine crisis (as opposed to ones of his own making) that threatened the nation, and now we all know.
  • edited March 27
    You can delay the inevitable(1, to 20 million deaths globally), somewhat but unfortunately for a small percentage of us there’s really nothing you can do. Shutting down the economy isn’t an option and won’t work in a modern society. We’re going to have to endure this while we keep the economy running. Herd immunity will help and I think when we are able to test more people we’re going to be surprised to find out how many people have already had COVID19. The fact is that these lockdowns needed to be in place globally before Christmas for about 2-3 weeks. But the PRC suppressed the data to save face. Now we’ve had US Holidays, CES and Chinese New Year. I’ve seen how fast this thing runs through groups of people. My business was impacted last year before this was a news story. If you look at the rate of spread, we are probably well over 10 million infections and maybe as close to 20 million if you assume China sat on this for a month and R0 = 2 as minimums. It’s too late already. But since the disease is low risk for most people and doesn’t mutate the way the flu does, we’ll be ok.
  • edited March 27
    Wow. Wake up this morning and find 30 new posts in this thread. Must have been infected by Darth-19. What started as a useful thread, turns to shit.

Every thread he infects winds up being hundreds of posts because you feel obligated to respond to his idiocy.

Why do you people respond to him? Just use forum distancing and either ignore him or flag him away.
  • edited March 27
    @barry
    Why do cats play with the mouse before the repast?
  • edited March 27
    Forgot to add Mardi Gras
  • edited March 27
    @barry people respond because I’m compelling and most people know that what I’m saying is right. If you disagree then stop worrying about why people respond and provide a counter argument if you can. Preferably one without all the ad hominem and you’ll not have a thread full of useless post from prevaricators and trolls who can’t construct an argument.
  • edited March 27
    Looks like the doctors are in agreement.
    https://cmss.org/statement_covid-19_restrictions/
  • edited March 27
    Good time to buy jet fuel.
  • edited November -1
    Flag the disinformation and move on.
  • edited March 27
    This thread was started so you guys could have a good discussion about the virus and give your own opinions. You knew there's going to be disagreements but that's just part of life. Try and not get so upset about it.
  • edited March 27
    I'm changing my mind about Darth - it seems more like a Russian troll who is trying to do everything he can to assist in killing/harming Americans. Before he was just doing everything to damage Tesla, which helps Russian oil interests. Now it's his objective to encourage people to go out and infect as many people as possible so more will die and our economy damaged even further. I can't think of any other explanation.
  • edited March 27
    TT, isn't there any members having Tesla problems that you can help?