Model 3

Comments

• edited November -1
    Sweet! I am pleasantly surprised.
  • edited November -1
    I'm also interesting in whatever it says for "Out of Order Supercharger Stalls". There have been a number of good suggestions for that, so it'll be nice to see how it's been implemented.
  • edited April 3
    Good catch hokiegir1.
  • edited April 3
    Got to love being Tesla owner.
  • edited April 3
    Just started a thread about this in the General forum: https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/2020125-adding-ability-view-dashcam-video-car
  • edited April 3
    feel sorry for all those folks that built apps to view the video......
  • edited November -1
    @ Kary993, nah, they provided a servcie and made some
    Cash. I knew Tesla would do this. No brainer. Can’t wait to try it out!!
  • edited November -1
    Joshan | April 3, 2020
    Sweet! I am pleasantly surprised.

----
    Sweet! is right, but not really surprised. It was kinda expected, right? The next step would be those videos showing up on the phone and being uploaded to the cloud -Ring alarm style.
  • edited November -1
    @Kary993: Don't feel sorry for anyone until we see how well the Tesla version works.
  • edited April 3
    @EVRider - good point....hope it is more full featured rather than half baked.
  • edited April 4
    From the description it’ll get the job done, then I’m sure tweaks will improve it. Kinda like everything else we love about our cars software.
  • edited April 4
    I wonder how many sourpusses will consider this a frivolous ota update that distracts Dev team from “real” improvements they should be working on?
  • edited April 4
    @spuzzz123: Not this time. This has probably been the most requested feature since the dashcam was introduced.
  • edited April 4
    What kind of USB drive are you guys using?
  • edited April 4
    So where are all the nay-sayers who said this wouldn't/couldn't happen...too complicated...coding would be too difficult...would use too much computing power that the car doesn't have...?
  • edited November -1
    @Hookm36 SSD hard drive. https://shop.westerndigital.com/products/portable-drives/g-technology-g-drive-mobile-usb-3-1-ssd#0G06052-1

I've had it for about 6 months now and haven't had an issue since I formatted it and plugged it in. I have 3 partitions. One for music. One for Dashcam/sentry mode. One for audio books.

I was worried about the heat living in FL but haven't had a glitch.
  • edited April 4
    “ The next step would be those videos showing up on the phone and being uploaded to the cloud -Ring alarm style.”

That would use an awful lot of bandwidth. Maybe MMW 5G enables cars will come soon.
  • edited April 4
    @M-A-B-MCMLXXX, To some extent the video files are (may) already being sent to Tesla servers. I guess that would be considered the cloud.

From the owners' manual:

Note: When the Alarm state is triggered, the
    most recent six seconds prior to the security
    event may be sent to Tesla for temporary
    backup for approximately 72 hours. You can
    enable or disable the collection of this video
    at any time by touching "DATA
  • edited November -1
    Yes, for sure, but that's sentry, which records short clips periodically. Dashcam is way more data.
  • edited April 4
    @M-A-B-MCMLXXX, Agreed, but it's a step in that direction. I would assume those sentry files that are being saved by Tesla are more for feeding the neural net than for preservation for the owner.

The first step for dash cam could be to send the files for preservation when an accident is detected or when the owner manually saves the files for one reason or another. They wouldn't need to be streamed to the cloud continuously.
  • edited April 4
    Tesla can give us a subscription monthly for the additional feature to upload to our phone for example. Just another revenue stream like the premium data monthly subscription.
  • edited April 4
    “ it's a step in that direction. ”

Agreed.
  • edited November -1
    @gmr6415: Not sure which naysayers you're referring to, but a multi-camera dashcam viewer is not trivial to implement, which is probably why we haven't seen it until now.

Regarding power usage, I don't know why viewing dashcam footage on the touchscreen would require any more power than viewing any other video. Sentry Mode does use a lot of power, but that's because the AP computer is constantly analyzing the video from each camera, it has nothing to do with recording the video.
  • edited November -1
    “ Sentry Mode does use a lot of power, but that's because the AP computer is constantly analyzing the video from each camera, it has nothing to do with recording the video.”

Is that known? I figured the energy loss associated with sentry was due to the requirement that the car stay awake.