General

2020.12.5 adding the ability to view dashcam video in the car

edited November -1 in General
According to Electrek, Tesla has started rolling out 2020.12.5, which is finally adding the ability to view dashcam video on the car’s touchscreen: https://electrek.co/2020/04/03/tesla-update-teslacam-sentry-mode-video-viewer

Comments

• edited April 3
    Excellent! The Cam viewer notes read great too, sounds easy to locate review and trash clips. Can’t wait to try it out! Cmon update!!!
  • edited November -1
    According to TeslaFi, there are no instances in the wild of 2020.12.5.
  • edited November -1
    Was it an April Fool's Joke?
  • edited April 4
    Don’t think it was a joke. The story came out after April 1.
  • edited November -1
  • edited April 4
    Nice, that is awesome!
  • edited April 4
    The one killer feature it needs is for sentry videos - show me what triggered sentry . Start 5 seconds before the trigger (person walking up, car pulling in, whatever) and let it run. When I get in my car and the screen says “sentry event”, I want to be able to touch the screen and quickly see exactly what the car was concerned about, and then be on my way.
  • edited April 4
    @Frank99: Since the video files have time stamps incorporated in their names, you can just look at the latest file in a sequence of SentryClips files and that will likely have whatever triggered the event. Of course, that doesn't work as well if you have multiple events within a 10-minute period.
  • edited November -1
    “ Start 5 seconds before the trigger”

What triggers it to start before the trigger?
  • edited November -1
    This would be great! Have not installed my sdcard in the model x or model 3 yet, even though i have 2 sd cards drives because you can not tell what triggered sentry easily.

This would make a great feature actually easily usable.

Thank you Elon Musk.

C. Przywarty
  • edited November -1
    M-A-B-MCMLXXX
    In Sentry mode, the cameras are running continuously, and the computers are watching them to see if something happens, like a person approaching the car. This is a trigger. Once the computer decides that it's seen a trigger, several minutes of video from before the trigger is stored, and several minutes afterward are stored.

Now, this can happen a couple of different ways:
    1. It may be that the video is being continuously recorded to the Flash drive, and if nothing happens older video gets overwritten (which is what happens with dashcam video, IIRC).
    2. It may be that several minutes of video is stored in RAM in the computer until a trigger is seen, and is then written to the Flash drive.
    I'm guessing that it's done in method #1, but I haven't looked through the erased files on a flash drive to figure it out.

EVRider -
    Sentry stores ten minutes of data, in ten different sets of files. I've never figured out where in that 10 minutes worth of video the event is that caused the computer to record. And sitting and watching 10 minutes of video, even sped up, is mind-numbing. The damned computer KNOWS when something happened that caused it to record a sentry video; all I'm asking is that Tesla start the playback just before that so I can quickly see whether I care or not.
  • edited April 5
    @Frank99: When Sentry Mode is on, the dashcam records continuously, and if a Sentry event is detected, the previous 10 minutes of video files are moved (not copied) from RecentClips to SentryClips. Video after the event is not moved to SentryClips (unless another event occurs within 10 minutes).

If there's only one Sentry event, the last video file in the set is probably the one that captured the event. You can tell which one is the last one because of the timestamp. I'm not saying Tesla shouldn't make this easier, but it's not as difficult to find the right video as you think, especially if there's only one event.
  • edited April 5
    I'll pull my drive and check; if you're correct, it'll certainly make the job of reviewing a lot easier. When I tried a couple of times to identify the trigger for sentry, it always seemed that the most likely culprit was someone walking by somewhere in the middle of the 10 min window. Perhaps, though, I just got bored before I got to the last set.
  • edited April 6
    Funny - although I starting seeing references to 2020.12.5 at the beginning of April, there has been no report of that update on Teslafi. I'm not a member, but occasionally take a look at the stats to see what update I can expect next.
  • edited November -1
    Apparently 2020.12.15 has only gone to early access program owners so far.
  • edited April 6
    Nothing past 2020.12.1 in Stats for S 3 X
  • edited November -1
    Started rolling out today according to TeslaFi: https://teslafi.com/software.php
  • edited April 7
    20% according to stats
  • edited November -1
    Checked my phone 3 times already : ).
  • edited April 7
    Got it. It's AWESOME!! (Press the dashcam icon and you'll see options for viewing.)
  • edited November -1
    @rxlawdude: Any other new features in the release notes, or just repeats of previous notes?
  • edited November -1
    Got 12.5 today on X, dashcam a Sentry viewer work great. Tho sentry viewer does not seem to allow direct to event viewing like iOS Dash View app does but still awesome to not mess with memory cards any more! And video looks great on X’s screen.

No update yet for our 3
  • edited April 9
    @EV, the sentry/dashcam viewer is the only new addition. Everything after that is older stuff.
  • edited April 9
    @evrider New Out of order Supercharger Stalls update. ‘Supercharger stations now identify the number of out of order styles.’
  • edited April 9
    @evrider New Out of order Supercharger Stalls update. ‘Supercharger stations now identify the number of out of order styles.’