General

FSD purchase unfair when trading in

edited November -1 in General
Hi, Something is just not right with the way my favorite company, Tesla, is handling the purchase/ownership of FSD and trade in value. I purchased FSD for $7000 3 months ago. I would now like to trade my car in, but the trade in quote/value does not consider my $7000 FSD. Therefore if I want to trade in for a new Tesla not only am I out the regular depreciation of the vehicle, I am also out the $7000 for the FSD, and then another $7000 for FSD on the new Tesla vehicle. This is truly ludicrous mode for trade ins! Tell me I’m wrong or help me!

If anything, the FSD trade in value should be valued at $7000 less 20% so $5600. At best, it should be transferable to my purchase of a new Tesla vehicle!

Thank you,

Zack

Comments

• edited November -1
    I can't imagine why you paid $7000 for FSD if you weren't planning to keep the car, but why do you think the FSD option should be valued at $5600? It doesn't matter whether you paid for FSD when you bought the car or this morning, it's worth the same either way. Did you think FSD was transferable when you bought it? If not, why do you think it should be now?

If you're not happy with Tesla's trade in offer, see if you can get more by selling privately or to a place like Car Max.
  • edited November -1
    Kelly Blue Book has a market value of "FSD" of $1,750.

If you plug in your car at kbb.com and then add and delete it, you can see the value.
  • edited November -1
    I am also wondering why you dropped $7000 on a software feature that you planned on trading in 3 months later, all while the software features are not 100% released.
  • edited April 6
    It gives you and idea how much value Tesla places on "Full Self Driving"
  • edited November -1
    Everything FishEV says is twisted lie
  • edited April 6
    Tesla should pay you a higher price than the sell value because they value their products so much.
  • edited April 7
    Their approach still doesn’t sit right. If I buy after market tires, I can take them with me when I trade it in. Why not FSD? How can anyone with FSD ever justify trading their car in for a new one, when you’ll have paid for it twice? How does Tesla justify their valuation of FSD when you trade it in? They offer nothing for it yet it is supposed to be the best thing about owning a Tesla.
  • edited April 7
    Software features are handled differently.
    Not going to argue either way on it but it is what it is, they make the rules and I don't think there is much you can do about it.
  • edited April 7
    Tesla will remove the FSD when they resell the car, so no value added for them.
  • edited November -1
  • edited November -1
  • edited April 7
    FSD does not have a value to Tesla as the can turn it on or off when they own the car. It does have a value on the open market, you are under no obligation to sell to Tesla. This does poke a hole in Elon's claim that FSD makes Tesla's an appreacating asset.
  • edited April 7
    Uncle Paul | April 6, 2020 "Tesla will remove the FSD when they resell the car, so no value added for them."

It has a $7k value to Tesla, that's why they turn FSD off in hopes another starry eyed buyer will pay them $7k for a second time for the same car. Quite a scam actually. Probably should get some consumer regulations to address it.

Now if Tesla can figure out how to take AC out of the car and resell it, they'll really be on a role.
  • edited April 7
    I just had one final thought on this.... I do believe in 5 years time Tesla will realize the need to change this practice and let you port your software upgrades to a new vehicle (hardware) with some reasonable guidelines (computer compatibility). I think of it like an Apple iphone. You can pay to have iCloud storage and purchase apps which are associated with your user profile. If you choose to sell your phone and get a new one, those features come with you. So if I want to buy a feature on my phone that tells me the weather, then I trade in my phone for a new one, that feature comes with it. Similarly with Tesla, if I pay for a feature that stops at red lights (eventually) and changes lanes, I should be able to bring that feature with me if I upgrade my hardware to a new Tesla.
  • edited April 7
    Supply and demand will dictate how it ends up going. I "bought" several extremely expensive CAD programs over the years and never did like that I never did actually "own" them or that if I stopped paying annual, also expensive, next version fees. If you did not update you were not going to be compatible with new versions making working with others that had newer versions difficult if not impossible.

Following that model I guess Tesla could make FSD transferable in a "fixed" state and require a fee to get the OTA updates. Would that model be acceptable to you?
  • edited April 7
    @keyszd: I don’t know why you think Tesla will “need” to change this practice down the road. And we’re still wondering why you purchased FSD 3 months before trading in your car.

Your comparison to iCloud and iOS apps isn’t really valid. iCloud is a service that isn’t tied to a particular device, and iOS apps that you purchase cone from third parties. Paying for iCloud is more analogous to paying for a Spotify account, which isn’t tied to your car. Paying for iOS apps is more analogous to buying third-party accessories for your car, which you can move to your next car.
  • edited November -1
    Tesla does allow transfers, with a simple $7K transfer fee, you can get FSD in your new Tesla!

What Tesla does with cars it gets from trade-ins is not relevant. They could elect to smash the rear window and sell it for a discount. They are free to do anything they want once the car is sold to them. Most trade-ins are sold at wholesale to auction houses, and I doubt Tesla makes much on these cars. If you don't like the tradin value, sell it to someone else. Nothing is forcing you to sell to Tesla.
  • edited April 8
    @Magic 8 Ball I thought about your proposal. I guess my thought is then when trading in a Tesla with FSD for a new Tesla, the FSD should be transferable and I should have to pay the difference for what FSD costs at that time. I guess that’s what would make me most satisfied!

@EVRider, I love my model 3. The Y came out and I was interested in trading in the 3 for a Y. Might sound ludicrous after only a few months, however, in my state it is not. I received fed/state tax credits last year and state credits this year on a new EV purchase which would make trading in the 3 for a Y a clean swap. However, when you factor in the FSD I go in the hole for the amount of the FSD! Then I started thinking how it really doesn’t seem right.

I love Tesla and am in it for the long term and hope that my suggestion and experience will make Tesla a better company.
  • edited April 8
    @keyszd It is a world were we don't always get what we want. Like I said I am not going to argue this either way and I am known for coming to Tesla's defense when I feel strongly about it but I don't know the logic or reasoning behind a decision like that. I have read about the lack of software transferability and even people having features like that removed on used cars they bought.

I would be most satisfied with your want also but there is nothing we can really do about it.

As to if it would make Tesla a better company I can't argue that either way either. Tesla is a company of innovation and they have certainly created a lot of loyalists with their current mode of operation. It would be nice to know the top level reasoning behind a lot of their decisions but we are the dark.

The double edge sword here is we want Tesla to be successful but if we get on a box and complain about these things we may be turning other people off. No easy answers on this sort of thing.
  • edited April 8
    @keyszd: You made a poor choice buying FSD 3 months before trading your car, and now you think it’s Tesla responsibility to fix your mistake. Sorry, but it’s your problem, not Tesla’s. You knew FSD wasn’t transferable when you bought it.
  • edited April 8
    why would anyone assume its transferable? Its $7000, and it does not state anywhere that buying FSD is an account linked thing. I'll say, that being on these forums, i have witnessed some of the most irresponsible uses of large amounts of money.
  • edited November -1
    More scolding with no content of value, not surprised.
  • edited November -1
    andy.connor.e | April 8, 2020 why would anyone assume its transferable?

Same reason they'd think red paint and sport wheels are transferable. Owner paid for them.
  • edited November -1
    comparing wheels and software features is a good comparison!
  • edited April 8
    andy.connor.e | April 8, 2020 comparing wheels and software features is a good comparison!"

They are purchased items.

What's next, Tesla turns of Auto HVAC. That's "software". That you can't sell the $7k "Full Self Driving" option with the car does seem illegal...or should be.