Model 3

Starting March 15th, Tesla Forums will become read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

Model Y 7 seater third row

edited April 2020 in Model 3
Will Model Y’s third row seats be rear facing?

Check out Sandy Munro’s comments, starting around 3:00:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-y-vs-model-3-casting-review-video/amp/

Seems like a good way to fit adults in there, but you’d lose storage space.

Comments

• edited November -1
    That third row of seats looks dangerous, might as well just add a rumble seat. Seriously the right solution for a 7 passenger vehicle is a minivan, they have two sedans, two SUVs, a truck, the next thing on the list is should be a minivan.
  • edited April 2020
    Doug DeMuro was contemplating the possibility of rear facing 3rd row seats too.

See from the 9 min mark of this video
  • edited April 2020
    I’m pretty convinced. There is a big hump in the rear casting right where a footwell would need to be for the third row (you can see this in the Sandy Munro video). I can take the cargo floor out of my Y and sit rear facing pretty comfortably, but sure can’t imagine how I would fit facing forward unless you chopped off my legs at the knee and took my head off too.
  • edited November -1
    @Madatgascar,
    Can you comment on what that area is like from a crush zone perspective? Is any of the cargo space outside of what would be the crush zone? How would your observation compare to what it is on the older S with a rear-facing seat?
    Thanks
  • edited November -1
    Seems like a normal 3 row mid-sized CUV. Rear seats are for 2 kids, though we don't yet know how big.
  • edited April 2020
    Same thing when you look at the back of a 5 seater BMW X5. "No way they can put a 3rd row in there" Then you look at a 3 row X5 and say, "Oh, that's weird, it seems to fit in there fine"
  • edited April 2020
    @bjrosen

I agree that a minivan is optimal for seating/cargo capacity however from a streamlining viewpoint, having one line of production with a 5 seater and 7 seater option will be easier for Tesla and more profitability will be obtained.

I have a Dodge Caravan with 5 kids and a 7 seater with 2 seats for kids in the rear like the Kia Sorento will be perfect.
    It has the advantage of having a better aerodynamic coefficient and longer range. With new battery technology they will be able to make affordable Escalade sized SUVs with adequate range, but it not possible right now.
  • edited November -1
    @vmulla, I’ve traded in my Model S, but working from memory I would say the Y would seem to provide a little more of a crumple zone, or allow for adult occupants in a rear facing third row where the Model S could only seat kids.

As I was looking further online, I saw Electrek already had an article on this:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/electrek.co/2020/04/05/tesla-model-y-third-row/amp/
  • edited April 2020
    @Madatgascar,
    Many thanks for the excellent info.

This is speculation at this point, but with all the info I'm seeing about rear facing seats it looks like there's going to be a significant reduction in storage capacity with the 3rd row seat option and/or losing the flat storage area when all seats are folded down.

I'm still hoping for Tesla to manage magic, let's see :)
  • edited April 2020
    The model X is closer to a minivan than SUV. I’ve always thought of it as a small minivan (or modern Aztec). I would think it would be easy to get rid of the current mini van doors and replace them with a more traditional sliding mini van door and lengthen the platform. As for a SUV, although highly unlikely, I hope Tesla ditches the CT platform of not really a truck and not really a SUV and goes full size SUV.
  • edited November -1
    I can't imagine that Tesla would do rear facing. They abandoned that option in the Model S.
  • edited April 2020
    A third row of jumper seats is perfect for those who need the extra passenger capacity on only a very limited basis.

My in-laws are thinking of trading their five-passenger Jeep Grand Cherokee for a six- or seven-passenger vehicle, because they need to carry six people whenever my or my brother-in-law’s family of four visits them.

I’m hoping to rent a seven-seat Model Y for an extended test drive the next time we visit them. And as soon as I have the opportunity, I plan to try towing my boat with a Model Y.
  • edited April 2020
    @ronjolley, they're bringing that option back on the S. Which seems to be a good indicator that it could be an option for the Y as well.
  • edited April 2020
    I will definitely have to cancel my Model y 7 seater if the 3rd row is a rear facing one. Hate it.