Model 3

6 month old Model 3 - Peeling paint - £1k Service Estimate

edited November -1 in Model 3
I have a 6 month old white Model 3 with less than 3k miles on the clock.

At the bottom of the rear bumper, directly behind the rear tyres, paint has started peeling off.

I booked in with my local service centre and have just received a service estimate of just over £1k to fix the issue.

For a such a new car with low use, I didn't expect paint to start peeling and certainly didn't expect to be liable for the cost of repairing it.

Is that correct?

Comments

• Is there a reason that this is not being done under the warranty? You might want to point out to Tesla that this sort of defect would be covered under the sale of Goods act. Goods supplied should be of a satisfactory quality.
  • edited November -1
    No communication whatsoever about why I'm expected to pay, so I don't know what reason (if there is one).

I have responded to them with that question though - but just wanted to make sure there wasn't something I'd missed with Tesla Service.
  • edited November -1
    Sounds like it might be related to the issue of paint coming off on rocker covers where Tesla admitted no liability but provided free mudguards to prevent it.

https://insideevs.com/news/383414/tesla-mudflaps-for-free-canada/

It’s totally a warranty issue unless you were driving on gravel roads for 3,000k.
  • edited April 17
    Just plain tarmac for me :)

Have 'declined' the service estimate, with a comment about it being a warranty issue.

So will see what they say...
  • edited November -1
    FYI I had an insulation pin break on the charge port. Through Tesla App they quoted me $882 to repair (complete new charge port and cabling. Also quite a job to install!). I ignored the 'approve estimate' button and when the ranger came round he said this was warranty, no charge. Phew! Hopefully the same will happen to you and this paint issue as, unless you drive in harsh environments, this should not happen after 6 months! Good luck!
  • edited November -1
    @Philippe | April 17, 2020 Have 'declined' the service estimate, with a comment about it being a warranty issue."

I've gotten and accepted the "Service Estimate", figured I'd duke it out with them after they looked at the car. I don't remember the language on it. Does it say you agree to pay "unless covered by warranty" or just you agree to pay. Tesla might be just being a legal weasel so if you dispute it, they say "Your honor, they agreed to pay". All small claims judge wants to see is what's in writing.

Going forward, I would the mudflaps. I also PPF'd the rocker cover and area in back of rear mudflap based on the link above about issues with lower body paint.

https://insideevs.com/news/363703/more-tesla-model-3-paint-problems/
  • edited April 17
    is "peeling" the correct word? Peeling would indicate adhesion problem and should be warranty. If the appropriate word is actually pitting or eroding due to impacts with road conditions, that's a different story.
  • Picking this thread up as the saga is still ongoing.

So after I 'declined' the service, Tesla offered to fit mudflaps (for free) so I took my car the to the Service Centre in the middle of June (2 months later).

They took my car and within 1/2 hour, presented it back to me saying they'd ordered the wrong parts for my car (front rather than rear mudflaps) and also 'touched up' the affected areas on the rear bumper, for the meantime. I left the service centre with an assurance that they'd contact me and send a mobile service vehicle to me, as and when they received the parts.

I heard nothing until 7th August, where they then said they had the parts and that I they would send the mudflaps to me to fit myself, or pay for a Mobile Service vehicle to come to me - at my expense (which I wasn't willing to accept but nothing further was mentioned about that) . I replied to them and they booked me in for a mobile service vehicle today (1st September) between 8am and midday.

At 12.15pm, I hadn't heard from Tesla or the mobile service vehicle, so sent them a SMS on the number they'd previously corresponded with me on. Within minutes, I received a telephone call from the mobile service vehicle saying that they again had the wrong parts (front rather than rear mudflaps).

So here I am. nearly 4 months after reporting the issue - with Tesla seemingly unable to order simple parts or rectify the issue for me. And the 'touched-up' paint has started peeling off, along with other areas which weren't affected before.
  • You never answered my question about your definition of peeling. Do you have pictures?
  • > @Philippe_98537733 said:

> So here I am. nearly 4 months after reporting the issue - with Tesla seemingly unable to order simple parts or rectify the issue for me. And the 'touched-up' paint has started peeling off, along with other areas which weren't affected before.

You can get third part mudflaps and have someone put them on. Car detailer who did my tint, ceramic and PPF did it for me when they PPF'ed the rocker overs.

For your car, I'd take it to a body shop, have them fix the paint and then PPF the rear fender area and rocker covers as problem will keep recurring.

In US, I'd then take Tesla to small claims court for the fix. Tesla knows from car GPS data that were not on gravel roads. Tesla has admitted the issue per the free mudflap and PPF protection kit it provides. UK and Finnish standards agencies have documented the issue. You will have plenty of back up in court if Tesla even disputes it vs. just paying for the fix.

Key will be documenting that Tesla wants to charge you for the problem. If Tesla offers to fix, they you can't sue in small claims if UK has version of US small claims where no lawyers involved and attempt at arbitration is mandatory prior to making case in front of the judge.
  • > @lbowroom said:
    > You never answered my question about your definition of peeling. Do you have pictures?

I do. But can't see where to attach them in here?

In terms of the definition of 'peeling' though - I have no comprehension about what caused the paint to 'fall off' the bumper - be it defective paint or pitting/erosion.

All I know is, I'd driven less than 3k miles entirely on tarmac and both rear bumpers had areas of paint missing. Also, having driven less than 700 miles since Tesla 'touched-up' the affected areas, the paint has 'fallen-off' again.

> @FISHEV said:
    > You can get third part mudflaps and have someone put them on. Car detailer who did my tint, ceramic and PPF did it for me when they PPF'ed the rocker overs.

Funnily enough, received an SMS from Tesla this morning saying that they don't manufacture rear mudflaps for the Model 3 and my only option is 3rd party.

So, my approach will be to get them to repair the affected areas and then I'll fit some mudflaps.
  • If you check Tesla online store you can easily find mudflaps.
  • > @WW_spb said:
    > If you check Tesla online store you can easily find mudflaps.

Only Front ones though...
    https://shop.tesla.com/product/model-3-all-weather-protection-kits

Mud Flap and Splash Guard Kit:
    Includes two sizes of front mud flaps and installation hardware
  • You can’t differentiate peeling from chipping? Seriously? Or it’s just not in your best interest to?
  • lbowroom, why play the conspiratorial card at an obviously well-meaning poster? Whether the paint is peeling or chipping, the net point is the same - it shouldn't' be after 3K miles.

Philippe, I'd escalate the hell out of this one. Just the confusion and inability to order mudflaps, or figure out they don't carry the right ones, plus your time and effort make this situation untenable.

If there's ever a case for a "goodwill fix", yours is it.
  • > @Philippe_98537733 said: > So, my approach will be to get them to repair the affected areas and then I'll fit some mudflaps.

I'd suggest the Boldoc flexible mudflaps. I got the hard plastic ones from Evannex but when I went over a low curb, it knocked it off the car on one wheel. Plus the Boldoc kit is very complete and even in includes a small pieces of PFF to cover the fender area.

https://evmudflaps.com/

I'd still get the entire the rocker cover PPF'd, which I did for $400, as the only real protection.
  • Lost - no conspiracy implied. A one day old paint job will chip when greeted with road salt and gravel. Peeling is a factory defect. Abrasion is not.
  • I have 5,200 miles on my Model 3 which I bought in March of this year. I have several small paint chips on the hood and some "peeling" meaning that a small strand of paint around the chip is hanging off the car like a hangnail. It's summer here so no salt. I have never seen a new car pit (or peel) like this and I consider this a product problem. Anyone else seeing this? Has anyone had a satisfactory resolution from Tesla?
  • My wife managed to get chips, dings and scratches all around the car. I stopped worrying about paint after fist chips on the front bumper.
  • I’m in Alaska with terrible roads. They don’t use salt so sand/gravel covers snow/ice 7-8 months a year. Got our model 3 two years ago beginning of this month so it’s been through 2 full winters. Before it came home I had ceramic pro gold put on and within 2 weeks of delivery had studded Hakka 9’s and when I saw car the first time with the undercut rocker panels made my own rally style mud flaps pretty quick (front and rear). I had a Porsche 996 turbo with similar rear rocker that I destroyed the paint first winter so had a lesson learned for mud flaps. Last fall I switched from my home made mud flaps to ones I bought on Amazon. Paint is pretty much flawless.

TOPlight Tesla Model 3 Mud Flaps Splash Guards 4Pcs Set Full Protection Mud Flaps for Tesla Model 3 Accessories https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WK5FKFJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_JvASvK9kzw7Oz
  • > @lwollrab_98701841 said:
    > I have never seen a new car pit (or peel) like this and I consider this a product problem.

Completely agree.

Of all the cars I've ever owned while living where I do now, all have had painted bumpers. I've driven them all on the same roads I do now and all they ever had was the occasional stone chip (paintwork damage localised to the impact area).

This is very different:
    https://ibb.co/FbdcWQD

You can even see where they 'touched up' the paintwork and that has also started 'disappearing'.

Either way Tesla have agreed to replace the bumper with a new one - without any fuss at all.

I'll be going down the mudflap/PPF route after it's replaced. So thanks all for the advice.
  • Finally a picture! Yes, those are chips from debris hitting the paint. Not because there’s something wrong with the paint and nothing is peeling. You can criticize Tesla for having a flat painted surface in this area of exposure. Many manufacturers avoid this with a knife edge body panel, not one that wraps around with such a broad surface.

You’re right, PPF or mudflaps are the best mitigation