Model S

2014 TESLA model s headlight flickering quote a $1700.00 to replace headlight by TESLA

edited November -1 in Model S
2014 TESLA headlight flickering $1700 to replace.

Comments

• edited May 2020
    Replaced them both a year ago to the tune of $3600 CDN. Ouch
  • edited May 2020
    Depends if it’s the bulb or assembly, LED vs Xeon. I had two 2013 bulbs good willed and I think it saved me a couple hundred bucks.
  • edited May 2020
    There's a yellowing on the "eyebrows" of our March2017 S75D. Would that necessitate replacing the entire headlamp assembly? I asked the Tesla Service advisor for a quote to fix, replace or partially replace but he never got back to me
  • edited November -1
    @avesraggiana: If you have under 50,000 miles on your car, I would expect the headlight to be covered by the warranty.
  • edited November -1
    @EVRider. Thanks. Unfortunately I tripped that milestone 11,000 miles and six months ago. Unfortunately too, I only noticed the problem a little after that time.
  • edited November -1
    If you guys/gals with these issues would post a general location that might help. For instance, there’s a guy in Phoenix who I would trust to do this kind of repair at his home. I suspect there is a local version of my buddy in every major city, maybe even more than one.

Still, I suspect the parts are a good chunk of headlight repairs, at least that’s my understanding.
  • edited May 2020
    Looking for a buddy in SoCal area...

I welcome competition in Tesla repair. If the SC's continue with these high prices and poor service, some one will see the opportunity for a business case...
  • edited November -1
    @ avesraggiana - Unfortunately fixing the yellowing/dead eyebrow on mid-2016 and new refresh versions does require the full assembly to be replaced. I’ve had three of them replaced under warranty, including one last fall just before I crossed the 50,000 mile warranty threshold. I’ve not had to replace one yet out of warranty, but have heard they were about $1200ish a piece.

Honestly, at that price, I’m not sure I’d pay to replace it provided the main headlight beams are functional.
  • edited May 2020
    @Aerodyne, I recommend you go over to teslamotorsclub.com and create an account and send a Private message to EV-Fixme over there. He's doing a lot of repairs. Cost you nothing to find out what he can do for you.
  • edited May 2020
    @p.c.mcavoy. Thanks for your information. I've quickly come around to your way of thinking. The headlamps work just fine. No need to spend so much on something mostly cosmetic.

Thanks again.
  • edited May 2020
    @Aerodyne, I second the recommendation for EV-Fixme. He replaced both my HID headlight bulbs (one had started flickering and dimming so I just had him replace both at the same time since they were 4 years old already anyway). My 2015 85D was at 97000 miles at the time. He told me which bulbs to buy at our local auto parts store ($220 for a pair) and only charged me for 2 hours' labor. The job involves removing the front wheel to access the headlight housing unless you have go go gadget arms, unfortunately.

He also did my MCU1 eMMC upgrade and swapped out my piano black interior trim for a matte obeche trim set I found. Guy knows his Tesla stuff (especially Model S/X). Highly recommend in the So Cal area.
  • edited May 2020
    The sum total of my non-bugware problems with my 2014 came down to the battery contractors. That was it and they installed a loaner battery. The xenon headlights were magic. No more driving with brown blobs out in front. I could see stuff. The headlight problems mostly seem to have started with the LED design which is possibly a different maker. The yellowing is the adhesive. Apple had a problem with this on a whole release of iPhone screens. I think that was the 6.
  • edited May 2020
    dukeybootie, did your eMMC fail or did you do it preemptively?
  • edited May 2020
    In the summer of 2017, my Xeon headlights bulbs on my 2014 S85 started acting up in that individually they would go out, but then when I switched the light off and turned them back on, the bulb that went out, came back on.

Anyways, both bulbs were replaced in July for $395. For some context, at the time I had 83,615 miles. I presently have 178,000 miles.
  • edited May 2020
    @akikiki

It was starting to show early signs of failure (character glitches on the display, more frequent reboots required) but nothing that rendered the car undriveable. I'm kind of a preventive maintenance personality so I decided to go for it since I was at the 4 yr / 100k mile mark. Plus I understand the eMMC upgrade is cheaper and faster when done preemptively and not after a failure.
  • edited May 2020
    Forgot to mention the maps were taking a lot longer to load despite the LTE connection on the MCU1 before the upgrade.
  • They want $3000 to replace both Headlamps (only one Is out) Any other suggestions? Or websites
    Please. Otherwise I can only drive in the daytime now🤷🏻‍♂️
  • These Tesla prices are outrages. $3000 or $1700 for headlamps is extreme! There has to be a better fix then replacing the whole thing.
  • > @avesraggiana said:
    > There's a yellowing on the "eyebrows" of our March2017 S75D. Would that necessitate replacing the entire headlamp assembly? I asked the Tesla Service advisor for a quote to fix, replace or partially replace but he never got back to me

2017 S75. Had both light assemblies replaced under warranty. Eyebrows both started fading. Entire fixture replaced... 40 minutes
  • > @Dawgplumber_92677504 said:
    > 2014 TESLA headlight flickering $1700 to replace.

Sounds like the bulb or ballast.

You can buy a new kit for $60 on ebay
    Go to Ebay and search for this "NEW OEM 12-15 Tesla Model S Xenon Ballast D3S HID Bulb Kit Control Unit Module"
  • @jordanrichard_629778 were your bulbs replaced by a Tesla SC for $395. I have one bulb with similar symptoms to you. Tesla SC quoted me today €1300 for my 2014 S85. Basically to replace the whole headlamp assembly. Hoping Tesla will come back tomorrow advising they can just do the bulb. > @Aerodyne said:
    > Looking for a buddy in SoCal area...
    >
    > I welcome competition in Tesla repair. If the SC's continue with these high prices and poor service, some one will see the opportunity for a business case...
  • @jordanrichard_629778 were your bulbs replaced by a Tesla SC for $395. I have one bulb with similar symptoms to you. Tesla SC quoted me today €1300 for my 2014 S85. Basically to replace the whole headlamp assembly. Hoping Tesla will come back tomorrow advising they can just do the bulb
  • it's easy to replace from the wheel well.

remove wheel
    remove fasteners from the plastic (forward wheel well) wheel well cover
    reach in to replace the bulb.

bulbs I used (out of stock) and still working fine after a year. you can search for others on amazon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M9DM6A0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • Yes, that $395 for both bulbs. Now, perhaps there is a difference in the headlights between the North American market and the UK, that makes replacing just the bulb not feasible.