General

"Charge rate reduced, Unplug and retry" Home charging limited to 32A

edited November -1 in General
Ever since buying my LR RWD Model 3 almost 2 years ago, I've been using a Corded (not Universal) Mobile Charger on a 50A circuit to get 40A charging at home. Yesterday, I happened to notice that my charging was limited to 32A despite the car's limit remaining at 40A, and there was a warning notification on the screen stating "Charge rate reduced, Unplug and retry". I unplugged and replugged a few times, with no change. I performed a system reboot, no change. I tried again this morning, same result.

Has anyone seen this issue before and know how to resolve it? Anybody in the Colorado Springs area with >=40A home charging that wouldn't mind me stopping by to do a charge test? Right now, I have can't tell if it's an issue with my car or my CMC (really hoping it's just the CMC). I promise I'll wear a mask and maintain 6' separation. :)

Comments

• edited November -1
    Plug in, get the warning on screen and then call Tesla "Emergency" number and the "Charging Issues' choice. They can look at the car via Virtual Technician and tell you why the car is giving the error message.
  • edited May 4
    Thank you for the suggestion. I called the Roadside Assistance number (same as Emergency?) and, while the virtual technician could see errors popping up, could not diagnose my issue over the phone. I have an appointment with mobile service to come see me in 2 weeks.

A couple more data points... no error messages occur when I use the UMC (which is capped at 32A). Also no error messages using the CMC if I limit current from the car display to 32A. Push it to 33A, and the error message comes back.
  • edited May 4
    I haven't noticed this but check for this problem thanks
  • edited May 5
    4EAXFM | May 4, 2020 "Thank you for the suggestion. I called the Roadside Assistance number (same as Emergency?) and, while the virtual technician could see errors popping up, could not diagnose my issue over the phone."

That's a start. Now you know it is something in the car. And having the Mobile Tech come out to see it with the home charger will be good.

Can you charge at all or does it keep giving the error and kicking off completely?

I guess you could turn everything off and charge a 4 mph via a regular 15A plug.
  • edited May 6
    Mobile Tech cancelled my appointment, saying I have to go to a Tesla Service Center. Nearest one is 75 miles away... awesome.

I am able to complete charging at 240V, it's just limited to 32A. You raise an interesting question though. I just assumed the errors (and current capping) only occurred at start up and have never stuck around long enough to see if additional errors (and add'l current caps) occur mid-charging.
  • edited May 6
    4EAXFM | May 6, 2020 Mobile Tech cancelled my appointment, saying I have to go to a Tesla Service Center. Nearest one is 75 miles away... awesome."

Look on the bright side, they didn't just say it's "within normal parameters" and cancel the service completely. At least they saw something that can be fixed.

Hopefully you get a loaner tough it might be better to hang around town and see if they can fix it in a day instead of 300 miles of travel.
  • edited November -1
    Service is scheduled for a week out. Fingers crossed it's a day fix!
  • edited November -1
    UPDATE: Not a same day fix, but Tesla replaced my power converter system and I'm back home with my Model 3 charging at full rate again.
  • edited May 14
    Thanks for the update. Warranty or did you have to pay?
  • edited May 14
    FISHEV = EVIL LIAR = Hidden agenda = Trump’s apprentice
  • edited November -1
    Magic, we've been over this already. No one is buying your fake account. They didnt before, and they still are not. Give it a rest.
  • edited May 15
    All warranty, no out of pocket expense.
  • edited June 21
    I think the problem is with the car, not the charger.

https://getappvalley.com/ https://tutuappx.com/ https://tweakbox.mobi/
  • I had same issue.
    After cleaning connector issue solved
  • Interesting... in my case it was a faulty power conversion system, replaced under warranty.