Model 3

Anyone with Model Y on Long Island (NY)

edited November -1 in Model 3
We are moving from Long Island to NYC, and cannot keep two cars. It's a tough decision - keep our Model 3, or sell it and buy a Model Y. When you only have one car, versatility is very important, but I _really_ like the 3, and have trouble deciding to switch before I see the Y "in the flesh".

Would anyone in Nassau or western Suffolk county be willing to show me their Model Y? I only need to see it from the outside, as I've read that the ride and comfort are comparable to Model 3. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• edited May 21
    This doesn’t help much, but I saw one close up at a service center and was struck by how much bigger it was than the 3. Even though the dimensions are not that dramatically different...like from a size standpoint it looked more similar to a model x than to a model 3. Photos don’t seem to capture this. Most photos I see are hard to distinguish to Y from the 3. Not in real life. I definitely got model y envy.
  • edited November -1
    I need a 7 seater so I must have a Model Y, it’s a necessity
  • edited November -1
    Don’t fake docs make enough fake money to buy fake model Xs? 7 fake people will be a tight squeeze into a fake model Y.
  • edited November -1
    Not sure why you would need to see it in person to make the decision. If the Model 3 works, and you simply want more storage, then just get the Model Y. That is precisely what you want.

Model 3 + more storage = Model Y
  • edited November -1
    @fakespuzzzz

I don’t want fake falcon wings
  • edited May 21
    There is no reason to rush into a Model Y purchase, wait a few months until the show rooms are open again. That will give them time to fix a few manufacturing glitches. You have a perfectly good car, the only advantage the Y has over the 3 is that it has more cargo space. If you need something that can't fit into the trunk of the 3 have it delivered.
  • edited November -1
    @bjrosen
    Thanks, I'm off the same mind, at this point. We have our old Toyota Highlander for the next six months, in case we need to haul large items. We'll just delay until Model Y is available in showrooms.

@andy.connor.e
    Buying a car is a very personal decision. I stood in line from early morning to put a deposit on Model 3, but I was not comfortable taking the delivery until I actually saw the car. If this was a completely rational decision, I would agree with you 100%, but I still need to "like" the car, if that makes sense.
  • edited November -1
    @spuzzz123
    Thank you, that is an important piece of information for me
  • edited November -1
    If you live close enough, take a ride over to the Syosset Service Center. You just might see a Model Y in the Lot.
  • edited November -1
    " Most photos I see are hard to distinguish to Y from the 3. "

Really? I find it extremely obvious.
  • edited November -1
    If you say so. I think more would agree they look very similar in photos from many angles. But standing next to one you get the real scale.
  • edited May 21
    @syclone
    Really? I'll go tonight. Thanks!
  • edited May 22
    I saw one at the Paramus NJ center this week (blue performance). It was next to a red Model 3 and they are very different. The y is much taller. The tinting in the back was so dark I could not see on to see the leg room situation.
  • edited May 22
    Slonkis - I'm with you. I think it is important to see the MY in person before deciding to actually take delivery. I have seen two up close parked in the wild the last couple weeks. Both were that kind of 'gray' color. Not my favorite color. I will say that i think the front of the car looks worse than the M3. It's higher nose doesnt have any kind of design element (like the MX has) to make the front look stylish. Instead, to me, it just seems like a large frumpy, bulbous nose. And looking at the car from the side, it doesnt seem to have as much style as the M3. Needs more design detail. The tail looks fine tho. Hopefully we will see many more over the next month.
  • edited May 23
    @syclone
    Thanks again for the pointer. I went to the SC today and saw a gray Model Y. I like it, though the color is not the one I would buy. It does look materially bigger than Model 3, but not overwhelmingly so. The design is very close to M3. Yo me the biggest selling points are the extra space in the back and the towing hitch option.
  • edited November -1
    By the way, the often-discussed "design flaw", with the rear gate extending too low, does NOT seem to be a problem. It may not be clear in pictures and videos, but becomes apparent when you look at the car in person. Normal-height front bumpers do not sit high enough to cause damage to the rear gate in a low-speed rear end collision, such as in tight city parking.