General

Model Y Might Just Be the World's Best Car - WSJ

edited June 6 in General
Today (6-Jun-2020) edition of the Wall Street Journal has a glowing review by Dan Neil. A few choice quotes:

"Even setting aside the Y's brawny batteries and humma-hunka motors, this car is a little dreadnought of innovation."

"From behind the wheel, everything else in this category ... feel like a sluggish sloppy antique, a squawking modem trying to connect to the cloud."

"The endgame of petroleum will be a decade of dizzy, overtaxed turbo four-cylinders, cutting on and off at stoplights, shuddering like washing machines."

"Will legacy automakers ever catch up? It's debatable."

Comments

• edited June 6
    And they’re just getting better while others procrastinate.
  • edited June 6
    "The endgame of petroleum will be a decade of dizzy, overtaxed turbo four-cylinders, cutting on and off at stoplights, shuddering like washing machines."

I like driving with my windows down. The first few times I heard the cars around me start on the green light made me realize they are dinosaurs. It's only a matter of time.
  • edited June 6
    Aaaaand cue the blowback in 3...2...1...
  • jjsjjs
    edited June 6
    The first faint drum beat foretelling the end of the ICE age was a roadster. Then the beat grew with the success of the S and X. Still only those will excellent hearing could tell something seismic was happening. Even fewer understood it, and except for a very select few no one really understood its breadth, depth, magnitude. Then the 3 (really the E, thanks Ford), picked up the beat and spread it around the globe. This was the first global sense that something was afoot. And now the Y magnifies the sound of the drum beat of change. More are starting to understand what is happening. More are beginning to believe. Yet, still, very few understand the breadth, depth, and magnitude of what is to come. The world is about to get better, all because of one S3XY car company. (I know its more than a car company.)

This was, is, and continues to be an extraordinary drama playing out in real time. I pretty sure I know how this movie ends, and like with any good drama, lots of pain, lots of joy and lots of change.

Spoiler alert. The good guys win.
  • edited November -1
    Not sure what review FISH read. From the article:

The Model Y’s satisfactions as a driving machine—its fierce, velvety acceleration, deep-pile powertrain isolation, the absence of friction and stiction, under load and under braking—are partly born of discontent with the current generation of stammering gassers, all with herky-jerky, multimodal drive programs.
  • edited June 6
    @ Madatgascar.

Yep. Nice article.
  • edited June 6
    FISH says “loud,” Dan Neil says “quiet as a Trappist.”

(Are Trappists loud?)
  • edited June 6
    FISH lists all these supposedly missing driver assistance systems, Dan Neil says “other driver-assistance systems undershoot by a mile.”

I could go on... silly FISH.
  • edited November -1
    FISH lists all these supposedly missing driver assistance systems, Dan Neil says “other driver-assistance systems undershoot by a mile.”

I could go on... silly FISH.
  • edited June 6
    "feel like a sluggish sloppy antique"

I had forgotten that the car was in Chill mode from a previous trip where I was transporting a cat. The car was sluggish even though I had pressed on the accelerator pedal. Then I realized that the car was in Chill mode. I'm glad that there's a choice on whether or not to drive in sluggish mode.
  • edited June 6
    @TranzNDance

They should call it Ice Mode.
  • edited June 6
    Going on 3K miles on my PMY. Sleeper model with 19inch wheels, Fast, Smooth, Quite
    Fishmouth is subhuman and should be ignored
  • edited November -1
    Blkice, me too. Smooth and quiet, like riding on rails. I love it, though Fish assures me I don’t.
  • edited June 7
    "On the downside, the common trait between the two Model 3s we've owned and the Model Y Performance we currently have in our long-term fleet is subpar ride quality."

https://www.edmunds.com/electric-car/articles/tesla-model-3-vs-tesla-model-y-vs-ford-mustang-mach-e/
  • edited June 7
    Tesla creates world’s best car

Forgets to open a forum for it
  • edited June 7
    Oh, it is the best car thus far. A high bar to reach.
  • edited June 7
    Besides exposing fanbois the Edmunds and other reviews of the Model Y brings up interesting question of why hasn't Tesla kept improving the cars. S, X, 3 are unchanged since birth, none of the flaws fixed, no updates on design or functionality?

https://www.edmunds.com/electric-car/articles/tesla-model-3-vs-tesla-mod...

Why didn't Tesla use the Y, built on the Model 3 platform, to insulate the sound, fix the rough ride, the safety issues, the control issues. Are the window washers still the same dysfunctional in wiper design. That's a case where a more effective design that sprays water on the windshield would likely have been cheaper to build.

The gull wing doors on the Model X should have been gone after the first two years. Again, an improvement in functionality that would have made the car much less expensive to build and maintain.

In the article referenced here, a writer from the anit-EV News Corp's Wall Street Journal takes his first ride in an EV and discovers the smooth acceleration as though discovering a talking horse while everyone else has moved on to what the horse has to say which is the same thing over and over again.

No doubt good for Tesla profits and they are selling well, even the oldest models. I guess Tesla will keep selling on fast, long range EV's until the market forces it to upgade.
  • edited June 7
    Creating and then responding to a market, what a novel idea . /s
  • edited June 7
    Anyone know how many Y’s have been delivered? I’m in No Cal and have yet to see one in the wild besides my own.

Hmm. An upgrade. Well, here’s one big one. My first Tesla in 2014 was an S60. Range on a good day 180. Then I had an S90, range close to 300. Now the Y. Range even better.

What a ‘ludicrous’ notion.
  • edited November -1
    @trixiew - I expect Tesla may roll the 3 and Y into a single sales number as they do for the S and X now. Perhaps we'll hear more in the tentative July annual shareholders meeting. My guess would be in the 5 to 10K region for Q2, as it's still in the ramp-up phase, and it wouldn't surprise me that COVID has disrupted the supply chain like other car companies and could limit what Tesla can build.
  • edited June 7
    Whelp given Tesla's rate of innovation, you cant catch up to someone unless you accelerate your innovation faster than the competition, or offer something entirely different. Neither of which are being worked on. Its unlikely to happen. What the legacy automakers have offered is great, and has worked for the last 100 years, but a single technology cannot be great forever. They are more likely to go out like Kodak. Tesla can build a factory today that is the most advanced automotive electric technology on the planet, whereas legacy automakers dont try to compete with electric technology. Everybody wishes this is not the case, its not really up to people. Its up to the companies. The evidence is a given, so at this point its really up to the companies.
  • edited June 7
    A pretty god review from a right wing rag
  • Let's see. Who should we believe. The award-wining journalist whose harsh negative remark was the reason for the PG rating for the movie "Who Killed the Electric Car" or some unknown clown fish on the internet who always finds things to not like about Tesla?
    Dan Neil speaks his mind.
    You folks decide.
  • edited June 8
    Earl, that’s true - but heck, we can look at Edmunds too. They called the Model 3 “the Best EV” and even the “Ultimate Driving Machine,” and then compared the Y favorably to the 3.

• edited June 8
    Not the best looking though.