General

We need more to talk about: what do you personally know about Ed Roth from the 60s dragsters & cust

edited November -1 in General
In my boyhood I , even in Australia, used to get American mags. I remember Ed Roth for his wild customs.
Car& Driver. Pop Mechanics, Pop Science, Karting, Mad, did I say Mad?, .others I am sure I will recall when a) the wine wears off
2): you mention it

I remember an article or letter stating the limits of acceleration from dragsters being like 9.5 ? because of the co-eff of friction ...
heaps of custom cars where Big Ed was King,

Some great Go Kart plans for endurance machines.

Pop Mech did a study on a world car in the 60s, reminiscent of how the T changed / suited the world, they tried to envisage a world car.
Well, Musk proposes this out of the China Designa studio (my nomenclature), I imagine a mini Cybertruck, like, no paint, folded not pressed, shaken not stirred...

Were you influenced by these magazines?

What mags did you read in the 50s and 60s, did they make a difference to your life and career?

In 2020, I still have just a few of these 60s mags in my Collection. Do you?

Comments

• edited November -1
    Ross1 I would draw Ed Roth cars and “drivers” in school during classes. However do you remember a movie set in Australia about how Australia was the last place on earth alive because of nuclear war and was waiting for the radiation to kill every one.The Authorities passed out suicide pills for an easy death, just can’t remember the name. Thanks in advance
  • edited June 14
    Ed roth was a Rat Fink!
  • edited November -1
    the move is "Red Sky at Morning"
  • edited June 14
    The book On The Beach by Neville Shute became a film in 1957 by Stanley Kramer starring Gregory Peck, Ava Gardner, Fred Astaire, Anthony Perkins.
    I have the book in my hand.
    My Airbnb is named after it, On The Beach Cottage (complete with Tesla Destination Charger.

So you asked the right person... :)
  • edited June 14
    Yep,my bad
  • edited June 15
    Did On The Beach involve submarines? Thanks
  • edited November -1
    Yes.
    A USA sub was based in Melbourne Australia, then they got radio signal from back home.
    So they packed up and went back into the radioactive zone to rescue anyone , due to the signal.
    The signal was being caused by some flapping material affecting a live transmitter.
    One of the crew came from that city in USA and absconded to find his deceased family, sad.
  • edited November -1
    Mystic, Connecticut
  • edited June 15
    Thanks, I’m done, don’t want to high jack you’re thread
  • edited June 16
    @Ross The movie was “On The Beach 2000”
    Different than the 1959 movie
    More Australian themed, the kind of movie that leaves a mark
  • edited November -1
    Rat Fink Lives with his tongue out, hand on gear shift knob
  • edited June 18
    Ummm, who was Rat O'Toole?
  • edited November -1
    Met him several times at car shows. He always had a booth where he would be wearing one of his signature hats and be airbrushing away on a shirt. I really did not realize how much of an icon he was and would become. If you like Roth art also check out Stanley Mouse.
  • Oh dear, and I thought someone had something to add .
  • Roth was from Maywood. His nephew was in the same HS class as I was. Gave me a ride on his Honda 50 motorbike when I was hitch hiking, (that's how 15 year olds got around in those days). Nice guy.
  • A variant of the "hug bug" ? mmmmmm a "Rat Finkster."
  • > @bob_saltzer_98342246 said:
    > A variant of the "hug bug" ? mmmmmm a "Rat Finkster."

In honor of EM....
  • > @blkice said:
    However do you remember a movie set in Australia about how Australia was the last place on earth alive because of nuclear war and was waiting for the radiation to kill every one.The Authorities passed out suicide pills for an easy death, just can’t remember the name. Thanks in advance

(()) On the Beach? With Gregory Peck?
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0053137/
  • I answered that in detail above, perhaps you missed my post.