Energy Products

Just ordered 12.24 kw system (no PW) SoCal. Will post experiences and time line .

I am moving to a new home in Riverside Ca and have ordered a 12.24 KW solar panel system with no power wall. Advertised for 24k and change. Had 4 Other bids for north of 32k.

Here is the timeline so far.
6/21 ordered system online and paid the $100.
6/23 uploaded images of my electrical panels.
6/25 notified system design is ready for review. Outlets showed the rooflines of my property and projected location of installation. Though price would adjust because the panels will be broken into 4 different areas with different angles. Nope. Price stayed at 24k

I have to say the other companies were very upset when I informed them I went with Tesla. Even badmouthing them.

Comments

• Same
  • edited July 10
    Yep, Tesla has the volume and great technology, so it's hard for others to compete. If you are considering a PowerWall or two, note that the 26% federal credit will apply to the PowerWalls too, so long as they are installed with the solar system. If you install them separately, then you can't claim the credit on the PowerWalls. If you don't want/need them, then of course don't get them. Sounds like you'll have a great system either way!
  • edited July 12
    You can add Powerwalls later and get the Fed tax credit, as long as you have a solar system.
    I added three Powerwalls to a 3 year old system and got the tax credit
  • edited July 13
    Yup. Me too, for two. Just fill out the requisite tax form, 5695:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f5695.pdf
  • I got the paper work today from Tesla so they can file for the permits. Anyone know how long before the permit approval takes? I’m on Long Island in New York. With PSE&G thanks
  • edited November -1
    I just ordered a few days ago and we are reviewing plan before permit submission....hope this goes smooth as we are debating with Tesla about some of the panel placements.
  • edited November -1
    Hey, I have a question on the tax credit for PW? Does anyone know if you can get credit on the free referral ones? I know I have to pay total tax,but wondering if I can get some credit?
  • edited July 25
    @Kesla_S - I don't see how you can get a tax credit. First, it has to be part of a combined solar/battery installation. If they are not installed together, then the Powerwall get's no federal credit. Then on the credit, you have to show the price paid for the solar with powerwalls plus installation, so if you got PW for free, there is no credit for the PW.
  • edited November -1
    I already had solar, so reading above they mentioned if you already have solar you can get credit for just the Powerwalls installation. I did pay for some of the installation so just a credit on what I did pay?
  • edited July 25
    I already had solar, so reading above they mentioned if you already have solar you can get credit for just the Powerwalls installation. I did pay for some of the installation so just a credit on what I did pay?
  • edited July 26
    @Kesla_S - I'm not an accountant, but my read is Powerwall installation by itself does not qualify for the federal credit. Doesn't matter if you had solar before or not. You may need to consult a tax pro. In some states, they may have something different. In CA, there is the SGIP rebate, but it seems hard to collect on it as it's often out of funds.
  • edited July 26
    Hey @joespinney just wondering if the install was completed yet for you? If so, how did the entire process go? Any hidden costs along the way? Curious as to your experience as I've heard heard the CS has gotten better but, trying to get more feedback from firsthand buyers.

Thanks
    Dave
  • edited July 30
    Ditto.. @joespinney. Please gives us an update as I am torn between going with my usual/former solar company or Tesla and want to hear about a recent SoCal experience.
  • edited August 1
    I had two PWs installed onto an existing (2015-16) SolarCity PV array. The PW install was early 2019. The one trivial issue with the PW inspection was resolved by Tesla in less than a week. (The inspector didn't like the way a couple wires were routed in the main panel.)

I've got nothing but good things to say about Tesla customer support. I'm in coastal OC, in So. CA.
  • Here’s my referral code if you find my updates informative and would like to buy the solar panels. https://ts.la/joseph29382

6/25 notified system design is ready for review. Outlets showed the rooflines of my property and projected location of installation. Though price would adjust because the panels will be broken into 4 different areas with different angles. Nope. Price stayed at 24k

Update:
    7/7 site survey. Tesla service member came out and surveyed the roof and confirmed the placement.
    7/11 submitted plans to HOA.
    8/7 having very easy time checking on progress with Tesla. Solar team very helpful. Team member confirmed Tesla has already submitted for permits.
  • Joespinney, Thanks for info. When was the permit applied? after the site survey?
  • Yes, after the survey
  • Here’s my referral code if you find my updates informative and would like to buy the solar panels. https://ts.la/joseph29382

You get $100 for using it. Thank you

6/25 notified system design is ready for review. Outlets showed the rooflines of my property and projected location of installation. I thought the price would adjust because the panels will be broken into 4 different areas with different angles. Nope. Price stayed at 24k.
    7/7 site survey. Tesla service member came out and surveyed the roof and confirmed the placement of panels and equipment.
    7/10 received confirmation of system.
    7/17 decided to finance panels. Very easy process. No delay caused because I changed finance choice.
    8/5 finally got my 1st electric bill since moving in. Immediately uploaded it to Tesla.
    8/7 having very easy time checking on progress with Tesla. Solar team very helpful. Team member confirmed Tesla has already submitted for permits with the city. Stated biggest delay is getting permits with cities running on limited staff. Was told we should get permits back next week possibly. Then they will schedule install.
    8/15 No news, still waiting for permits.

*** NEW ***
    8/21 called my rep (who answers the phone about 80 percent of the time to check on my install. Was told it was still in permitting with the county/city. TESLA had a "follow up" scheduled for 8/27 to check on progress if the city did not get back to them.
    8/26 Apparently the permits were sent to Tesla so the follow up was not needed. Received an email "Ready to schedule installation". I clicked the link and took the first day available September 22 (4 weeks out). I called my rep and he was going to email installation to see if I can get a sooner install. Later that evening, I received an email confirming my new install date of 8/17. Sweet.
  • 8/17 was ten days ago...

You get $100 for using it. Thanks in advance.

6/25 notified system design is ready for review. Outlets showed the rooflines of my property and projected location of installation. I thought the price would adjust because the panels will be broken into 4 different areas with different angles. Nope. Price stayed at 24k.
    7/7 site survey. Tesla service member came out and surveyed the roof and confirmed the placement of panels and equipment.
    7/17 decided to finance panels. Very easy process. No delay caused because I changed finance choice.
    8/5 finally got my 1st electric bill since moving in. Immediately uploaded it to Tesla.
    8/7 having very easy time checking on progress with Tesla. Solar team very helpful. Team member confirmed Tesla has already submitted for permits with the city. Stated biggest delay is getting permits with cities running on limited staff. Was told we should get permits back next week possibly. Then they will schedule install.

*** NEW ***
    8/21 called my rep (who answers the phone about 80 percent of the time to check on my install. Was told it was still in permitting with the county/city. TESLA had a "follow up" scheduled for 8/27 to check on progress if the city did not get back to them.
    8/26 Apparently the permits were sent to Tesla so the follow up was not needed. Received an email "Ready to schedule installation". I clicked the link and took the first day available September 22 (4 weeks out). I called my rep and he was going to email installation to see if I can get a sooner install. Later that evening, I received an email confirming my new install date of 8/17. Sweet.

*** NEW ***
  • getting installed in 3 days, can't wait.

6/25 notified system design is ready for review.
    7/7 site survey.
    7/17 decided to finance panels. Very easy
    8/26 Scheduled installation for 9/22
    8/27 install bumped up to 9/17
    9/18 install complete. County inspection scheduled for 9/22.
  • Here is the timeline so far.
    8/26 Apparently the permits were sent to Tesla so the follow up was not needed. Received an email "Ready to schedule installation". I clicked the link and took the first day available September 22 (4 weeks out). I called my rep and he was going to email installation to see if I can get a sooner install. Later that evening, I received an email confirming my new install date of 9/17. Sweet.

New *
    9/18 installation finished. No issues. Looks awesome.