Model 3

Bumpers coming off in rain again. Act of Tesla God.

edited July 2020 in Model 3
Tesla is again claiming Devine intervention with the recurring problem of Model 3 bumpers coming off when driven in the rain.

“Watch This Tesla Model 3 Rear Bumper Fly Off After Driving Through Puddle“

https://insideevs.com/news/433643/video-tesla-model-3-rear-bumpers-fly-off/

Tesla’s “Goodwill repair” of the bumpers the rain gods keep pulling off of Model 3 is a bit suspect. That the owners above had to sue to even get the “goodwill” scam does not speak well of Tesla’s business ethics.

He claims that labeling warranty repairs as "goodwill" is a way Tesla found to cheat its financial results.

This would happen because warranty costs are included in financial results as "Cost of Revenue," a number that affects gross profit and net income, according to that article. Instead of naming them as such, Tesla would say they are goodwill repairs, so these expenses would appear as "Operating Expenses," which get diluted in the company's results for as long as the car is under warranty.

The article also points out a contradiction: although Tesla claims the repairs are not due to warranty issues, but to goodwill, they are only performed while the cars are under warranty.

Comments

• edited July 2020
    You have no idea what you are talking about. Bumpers flying off? I can tell you from installing my mid flaps that the rear bumper body panel is very robustly attached. I’ve definitely seen reports of Tesla (and other luxury brands) replacing things under warranty that should not be covered out of customer service and good will.

Second the “warranty work as revenue” only applies to the independent dealer model where the dealer gets reimbursement from the manufacturer. Tesla is is all in the same.
  • edited November -1
    @coleAK | July 14, 2020 You have no idea what you are talking about.”

As I remember you don’t own or drive a Tesla.

What I’m “talking about” is a video of the rain taking a Model 3 bumper off and posting links to the video and article which notes and has links to previous cases of Tesla Model 3 bumpers coming off in the rain and Tesla again denying warranty responsibility.
  • edited November -1
    how many times has your been ripped off fish in your PDX wet area?
  • edited July 2020
    surely with all that rainfall and all the miles you drive you must personal experience and opinion on how well the bumper is attached.
  • edited July 2020
    impact with objects on the highway including deep water is not a warranty item. Nice that they are replacing the rare occurrence out of goodwill and not insurance.
  • I'm gonna quote you to tell you what you need to hear.
    > @coleAK said:
    > "You have no idea what you are talking about. "

Bumper came off my m3 after 3 days of ownership coming to a stop at a red-light where there was ~3" of water in the road. The Kias and Toyotas that were ahead didn't lose their rear bumpers. It's a manufacturing/design flaw. Tesla is replacing it free of charge with the latest tow bumper and attachment hardware. Watched service center guys pull everything related to the rear bumper off the car while I waited for a loaner to be prepped. Also had the front passenger occupancy system go haywire and they have already fixed by replacing that.

It's not a question, when a beat old scion, corolla, Kia, geo metro, etc... Can go through a puddle without losing the rear bumper.

Mine is a 2018 m3 long range bought it used from Tesla with ~16000 miles on it. It's been in the service center since Nov 9th. Tesla is doing the right thing, fixing it, and issued a loaner.
  • > @Thedudeabides said:
    > It's not a question, when a beat old scion, corolla, Kia, geo metro, etc... Can go through a puddle without losing the rear bumper.
    >
    Standing water can be a real B; good thing Tesla is taking ownership, even if it’s a little late in the game.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see owner manual updates. Even my pickup truck, which is much higher off the ground, carries a warning that driving through standing water can damage the vehicle.
  • Just another trolling thread. Please seek professional help to deal with your mental health issues.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/your-online-secrets/201409/internet-trolls-are-narcissists-psychopaths-and-sadists
  • My stock is up 7%
    I hope a lot of bumpers take off from Tesla cars and Tesla make their customers pay for it because this is gonna be another source of profitability
  • Life is good but it's even better if you drive Tesla.
  • > @Maxxer said:
    > My stock is up 7%
    > I hope a lot of bumpers take off from Tesla cars and Tesla make their customers pay for it because this is gonna be another source of profitability

Tesla is fixing this for free. How are going to make money off free?
  • These are reportedly 2018 and early 2019 cars. Who cares if they are fixing them as warranty or curtesy, they are fixing them. I also wonder if some of these bumper issues are do to the owner removing the bumper to install a hitch or automatic trunk and not reinstalling them properly. Maybe.... Maybe Not.... But either way Tesla is fixing them.

GM has a different opinion of their warranty. GM won a law suite by claiming the cracking rims on their corvette's are a design flaw and not a defect and their warranty only covers defects. LOL

https://youtu.be/ogeJ-uiyCF4
  • The 0-60 acceleration times are much better if the bumpers fall off, right?
  • > @HAL2001 said: Who cares if they are fixing them as warranty or curtesy, they are fixing them."

Fixing as "goodwill" vs. warranty is a scam that Tesla and other car mfgs. use to get around the NHSTA regulations.

" Naming warranty services as goodwill repairs may be a questionable strategy."

"The warning came from our reader Sergio Rodriguez. Like Jason Hughes, he turned into news instead of merely reading them. That happened after his Tesla Model X hit a puddle and leaked water on the A-pillar. While trying to get that issue fixed at the Palm Springs Tesla Service Center, he noticed the repair was classified as “Goodwill - Service.” Rodriguez found two possible reasons for that. According to an attorney, Rodriguez is very right about his hypotheses. Both show a strategy that is – at the very least – debatable."

https://insideevs.com/news/392913/tesla-goodwill-repairs-warranty-service/
  • So fish, with all the miles you’ve driven in PDX weather, ever see a bumper get ripped off?
  • Tesla has issued a Service Bulletin to repair this problem. But apparently they will not do a fix proactively so you'll have to wait until it happens.
    <https://electrek.co/2020/10/19/tesla-admits-design-flaw-rear-bumper-falling-off-water/>
  • > @drrock75k_98281448 said:
    > Tesla has issued a Service Bulletin to repair this problem. But apparently they will not do a fix proactively so you'll have to wait until it happens.”

Tesla knows exactly which cars are at risk. Letting owners discover it is bad customer service.
  • According to GM design flaws are the owners problem not the manufacturers. So like GM Tesla could just ignore the issue but they choose to fix it if it happens. I suspect they need to verify the owner did not cause the problem themselves by installing a aftermarket item that requires them to remove and reinstall the bumper.
  • FISH keeps banging this dead drum.
    Where there's a problem, Tesla will fix it. Don't need no drama.
  • > @sheldon_mike said: > FISH keeps banging this dead drum.

Actually it was an owner who had it happen to his Model 3.

Thedudeabides
    Posted November 23
    I'm gonna quote you to tell you what you need to hear.
    > @coleAK said:
    > "You have no idea what you are talking about. "

Bumper came off my m3 after 3 days of ownership coming to a stop at a red-light where there was ~3" of water in the road.
  • YEP, and Tesla repairs under warranty.
  • Yet fish, who has by his own account, driven nearly 40k miles in wet Oregon, has never had a bumper issue.....
  • > @sheldon_mike said: > YEP, and Tesla repairs under warranty."

Tesla should repair under recall since it knows which cars have the problem. Instead Tesla just waits for owner to have the problem or for the warranty to time out.

Pool customer service.
  • Fish doesn't own shit.