General

Munro Associates BMW i3 Analysis for $10

edited November -1 in General
For those engineers and technically minded, Mundro is almost giving away their BMW i3 teardown report for $10. Before this, I think it was a $85,000 report! Very cool information at an impressive level of detail analyzing 54,000 parts used in the i3.

The total report is over 23,000 pages. I was going thought one report in the electronics section and I was surprised to find they are using a 200 GB hard disk! Anyway, for any automotive engineer, this is a gold mine!

Here's the 4-minute video where Sandy talks about the report:

And, while this is not exactly Tesla related, it does provide a great look into another EV and automotive design.

Comments

• edited November -1
    Do they use a physical Hard Disk, or a SSD?
  • edited November -1
    It's a physical spinning hard disk like used in any 2000 era PC. Perhaps a laptop grade drive to survive high-vibration environments.
  • edited November -1
    $10? Time for Sandy to toss that one in the bin. Obsolete!
  • edited November -1
    That's why it's $10. Still, for any automotive engineer, it's a massive amount of interesting information. For the average owner, agreed it is not something you need.
  • edited July 16
    Another tidbit - The i3 they looked at was the 83-mile range version, with a 22 kWh battery pack. The production cost of the pack is estimated at $10,456, or $475 per kWh and uses 12,295 parts. This did not include any allocation for tooling, engineering, or profit.

To be fair, this was 5 years ago, but back then, Tesla was estimated to have a production cost of under $200 kWh for the pack.

The i3 pack quality, other than the cells, seems to be on par with Tesla, but not nearly as efficiently packaged as Tesla has done, which partly explains the huge price disparity.
  • I almost purchased that car when it was released however the $63,000 price tag for 100miles range was a bit overwhelming