Model X

Extended warranty

edited November -1 in Model X
Has anyone used a third party extended warranty?
My X ownership is almost reaching the end of the 4-year manufacturer warrant. They charge over $400/hr for any repairs after the warranty. It is time for me to consider the extended warranty. Please share your thoughts if you have used an extended warranty offered by a third party.

Comments

• edited November -1
    @joezheng88 - I've never heard of Tesla charging anything close to $400/hr. In the Bay area, one of the most expensive areas for auto repairs, Tesla's rate is $175/hr.

Personally, I think extended warranties are not worth it. Most of the third-party warranties are mostly worthless. You'll fight to get anything actually paid for and most of the time you'll find whatever goes wrong is not actually covered due to some fine print. Some are outright scams and will not pay anything no matter what goes wrong.

Tesla has offered a 4-year 50K mile warranty extension in the past, but a lot has to go wrong to get you money's worth. At least it's legitimate and they will pay for the costs to replace whatever goes wrong. They do have a $200 deductible per visit.

My view is over time you'll do far better on average skipping all those extended warranties on cars, or other products and paying for what may go wrong if it ever does. If you're the type that worries a lot over unexpected issues, perhaps the peace of mind is worth getting an extended warranty, but it's rarely useful to save money.
  • edited November -1
    I have used X-Care and not had a problem thus far. It took the SC a little bit to learn when my X started on X-Care, but both my S and X are now under X-Care without issues. (They do have discounts for First responders)

https://www.xcelerateauto.com/x-care/
  • > @starojam said:
    > I have used X-Care and not had a problem thus far. It took the SC a little bit to learn when my X started on X-Care, but both my S and X are now under X-Care without issues. (They do have discounts for First responders)
    >
    > https://www.xcelerateauto.com/x-care/

What does that cover? I tried to go on their site and it is very vague on what they actually do and do not cover on these cars?