Model X

False Message "Key Not Inside Car, Unable To Drive"

edited November -1 in Model X
After this very recent s/w update on Friday, even though I physically have the remote key, I get above message.

Managed to start car through my phone app, took it to service station. Sensed there was going to be a delay.

So, I reset with holding L&R steering wheel buttons. Car started with remote.

Reached home. Again, the same issue of being unable to recognize the remote. Similar result with either of the 2 remotes.

Incidentally, cell phone BT connectivity had cut off, had to be reactivated.

Comments

• edited August 2
    Same with my Tesla X. Cant use the key !
  • Is there anyone of authority in Tesla looking at these messages?

Why are genuine customers complaints like ours not looked into?

Very frustrating.
  • edited November -1
    Make certain that your phone and key fob aren't near each other, as interference can cause this problem.
  • No. They are not. Even then, BT never interferes with the other bandwidth. Different technologies.
  • edited August 3
    I would try powering off the car for five minutes.
  • edited August 3
    Jeez, I wish that were so... But the sheer radiated xmtr power differential combined with harmonics, result in just such problems when in close proximity. There have been a good number of related threads both here and elsewhere... Of course, the problem is fleeting due to strict power mgmt on the device, but it's good that you have them at a distance...
  • This happened to me last week. Key fob unlocked all doors but would not be recognized inside my X. Had to call to completely power off the X, call Tesla Support to have them send a reset signal. Powered it back on. Problem solved over the phone. Good luck with yours.
  • Same issue here. Got stuck because has no cell service while camping in Tetons. Had to have it towed. Tesla blamed me for not being in cell service.
  • I had to use my cellphone all the time, but once I got locked out with BOTH my phone and key in the car. Fortunately my wife was home and brought me the spare key to unlock and retrieve the phone.

Went to Tesla Service.

A morose guy there thought it was not an emergency and gave me an appointment 2 weeks later.

Next day, I got a hold of a better service person who put me on to Mobile Service.

Today the Mobile guy came in and reset the radio controls between the key and the car a few times.

Now it works, but apparently it is a nasty issue that springs up on you while you're least prepared!
  • > @losangelesram_98465260 said:
    > Is there anyone of authority in Tesla looking at these messages?
    >
    > Why are genuine customers complaints like ours not looked into?
    >
    > Very frustrating.

Lol. You're kidding right? Tesla doesn't believe in any form of customer service. It's a joke.
  • > @mathwhiz said:
    > Make certain that your phone and key fob aren't near each other, as interference can cause this problem.

Give me a break. If that's true, and I don't believe it is, the Tesla is even shittier than I thought.
  • I just posted exact thing here a couple days ago. Didn't notice any software update, but could have been a small maint update..?
    I'll make sure to tell them I want a Mobile asap to work on radio pairing reset.
    > @mathwhiz said:
    > Make certain that your phone and key fob aren't near each other, as interference can cause this problem.
  • Agreed - fob and phone in same pocket or near each other causes interference/block, results in intermittent fob failure
  • i had the same problem but just opened the fob, took out the battery and put it back in ... Not seen since ..
  • > @ingemand_98640736 said:
    >
    > i had the same problem but just opened the fob, took out the battery and put it back in ... Not seen since ..

I had tried that thinking the same thing....but still not recognized, even after battery out overnight
  • Happened to me yesterday for the first time. Reboot did not fix it. Ended up driving to work using keyless start from the app, then caledl Tesla roadside. She was very helpful. Sent a 'reset' code...and it was fixed.
  • happened to me too after 2020.28.5 update. I found on Facebook advice to call Tesla Support line and ask for "remotely send a reset of security tokens for key fobs". It two calls. First call the guy was not aware of such thing and second guy was helpful and sent the reset right away that fixed the issue. Make a call ;-) takes 20-30 minutes for them to answer.
  • Aug 11 overnight my car received an update, 2020.28.6 and now the functionality has returned to normal. Keyfobs are recognized and drivers door auto-presents/opens when I approach.
    All is right with the world again..