Model 3

Has anyone tested the new Pilot Sport All Season 4?

Need to replace my M3D 18” stock MXM4 and wondering how it compare for noise and efficiency?

Comments

• Any feedback on these tires?
  • Some feedback here:
    https://forums.tesla.com/discussion/173563/can-my-model-3-use-michelin-pilot-sport-4-s
  • @M3phan thanks but this is for the Pilot sport 4S (Summer tire). I am researching about the new Michelin AS4 replacing the AS3+
  • @eddyvuy I don't have first hand knowledge of the performance of these tires, but two Model 3 owners have reviewed them on Tire Rack, https://www.tirerack.com/survey/SurveyComments.jsp?&category=tire&additionalComments=y&commentStatus=P&tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+All+Season+4&fromTireDetail=true&partnum=345YR8PSAS4XL&tirePageLocQty=%26partnum%3D345YR8PSAS4XL
  • @triumphbob Thanks! I have seen these review. Both are with very low mileage. I am concerned about noise and efficiency and posted to this forum to get additional feedback.
  • I had a set of 235/45/18 Pilot Sport All Season 4 tires (not the Pilot Sport 4S but the new Ultra High Performance All Season) installed on my M3D last week and I do not regret it. They handle much better than the stock MXM4 and I find them quieter, specially on concrete highways. The rim protection is better and they look good. Efficiency took a 10% hit so far but i only drove 200 miles and I am hoping it will improve with time. Most importantly, today I realized the tire store set the pressure at only 41psi so I increased to 45psi. This should also improve the efficiency. 42psi was the max the MXM4 could handle without compromising comfort but the AS4 seems fine at 45psi. I definitely recommend this tire. Hopefully Tesla will start using this from the factory.
  • > @eddyvuy_98339462 said:
    > Most importantly, today I realized the tire store set the pressure at only 41psi so I increased to 45psi. This should also improve the efficiency. 42psi was the max the MXM4 could handle without compromising comfort but the AS4 seems fine at 45psi.

You should never exceed the tire pressures listed on the door frame of the car. If it says 42, then it should be 42, not 45. You can go lower somewhat, but not higher, or tire wear in the center of the tire will happen for sure and the car will not track well. Sure you could pump up with all the air you want up to the max rated to improve range somewhat if one is willing to live with tradeoffs and diminished handling, increased noise, and reduced grip due to accelerated vanished rubber in the middle of the patch.
  • Resurrecting a thread that a bit aged but considering PSAS4 all season. Is the efficiency hit significant? Rough road noise is significant with the original MXM4. Is the PSA4 noticeably louder? Having too much fun and have burned thru the original in 14k. Assume if I keep the bad habits these will get even less. True ?
  • Interesting deep dive here on construction, performance and noise: https://youtu.be/NhrUe7j4FVw
  • I just got the pilot sport as4’s on my 15 p90d about two weeks ago. So far very happy with them. They are just as quiet as the original mxm4 tires and they handle better. The bad news is that over 400 miles I’ve taken a noticeable hit of 10-15% efficiency which is disappointing. But I’ve read that after 2000 miles they break in and efficiency gets better. And I should say that I’m in the north east and it’s winter so that too isn’t helping.
  • Replaced my 235/45-18s (stealth performance model) with PSAS4s recently. Was not a fan of the MXM4s as their handling, particularly on wet roads, left much to be desired. Michelin comped me a very fair amount to purchase another set of Michelin’s. So, all my research went into Michelins as replacements. If you live in a warm climate, and care about performance, the PS4S is the way to go. If you don’t care about performance either the MXM4s or the Cross Climates look okay. However, if you need all-season tires that are performance oriented and can be driven safely in some snow and ice, and excel in the wet, the PSAS4s were the ticket. Compared to the original equipment MXM4s, the PSAS4s seem to be about as noisy, braking is much better, both dry and wet. Taking turns on twisty roads is also much better, particularly when the roads are wet. Efficiency is not down much for me (tires have ~1000 miles on them and getting about 255Wh/mi), but I had a 4 wheel alignment done the day after the new tires were installed. The rear was toed in badly (probably came that way from the factory as my efficiency was poorer than it should have been with the MXM4s).
  • Get the MXM4’s that came on the car people! Ive been saying it from the beginning...None of us are smarter than the engineers at Tesla. They already spent money experimenting so you don’t have to waste money experimenting.
  • @RayNLA

I am sure Tesla engineers are very smart but their goal may be oriented more to achieving the highest range vs. noise reduction, handling, or other criteria than some customers may prefer. I moved away from the stock tires and am much happier with both noise and handling.
  • I had a RWD M3 and bought those tires. I put ~1000 miles on them before selling the car and really loved the tires. Looked better, road the same as far as I can tell, MUCH better grip on dry or wet roads, can't speak to wear, but I had to replace my originals at ~17k miles, so can't be worse :)
  • > @eddyvuy_98339462 said:
    > Need to replace my M3D 18” stock MXM4 and wondering how it compare for noise and efficiency?

Yes, I had the CrossClimate + on for a week and had them switched out to the Pilot Sport All Season 4 and they are overall better, quieter and seemingly wider somehow due to the pattern. The original tires wore like butter and I do not think that the acoustic foam inside them does much, it's mostly the pattern and or chunkiness (snow tires etc) of the tire that dictates the noise.
  • “Get the MXM4’s that came on the car people! Ive been saying it from the beginning...None of us are smarter than the engineers at Tesla.”

Respect your thoughts. It depends on what you want out of a tire. I got tired of mediocre performance from the MXM4s, like screeching when driving sportingly on curvy roads. When the roads were wet, they often slipped notably. The M3P (non-stealth) comes with different tires, PS4s that are fantastic performing in warm weather, albeit at a hit to range. Also, consider neither the CC+ or the PSAS4s were available when the Model 3 was released (when Tesla sourced the MXM4s). Go to Tirerack and compare the dry and wet 50 to 0 stop times and the maximum G values on the various tires you’re looking at. Tire technology is improving, so why limit yourself to older technology tires?
  • > @"borne.by.wind" said:
    > “Get the MXM4’s that came on the car people! Ive been saying it from the beginning...None of us are smarter than the engineers at Tesla.”

IMHO that's not entirely True. The engineers got the best tire for the best price. Not the "BEST" tire.
  • > @HAL2001 said:
    > >
    >
    > IMHO that's not entirely True. The engineers got the best tire for the best price. Not the "BEST" tire.

Which is funny cause the MXM4s are really expensive :/
  • > @Lorenzryanc said:
    > Which is funny cause the MXM4s are really expensive :/

I believe you when you say they are great tires but you have to understand Tesla didnt just buy "the best tire". There are better tires.

As far as price goes I am always skeptical. Do you know the story behind tater tots?
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tater-tots-go-gourmet/

Here is the relevant part.

Delicious, but not popular, initially. The problem? If you can believe it, tater tots were too affordable. "People not only knew it was scraps, but the price point was very low," said Whalen. "And classic economics, they just raised the price, and people are like, 'Wow, these must have value to them now!'"
  • Just put a set of PSA4s on the wife’s v6 Accord (only $500 including Mount and balance at Costco).
    I don’t drive theAccord in a spirited fashion, so I’ve got nothing to say about traction, feel, or braking. They feel slightly stiffer than whatever worn out OEM tire was in the car, and maybe slightly louder but maybe not - they were very close.
    I’m sure that you’ll see a loss of range if you’re coming from the MXM4s - the PSA4 is aimed at performance and traction, the MXM4 is aimed at low rolling resistance.
  • I'd love to move up to an ultra high-performance A/S tire like the A/S4, but no way I can give up even 10% efficiency, let alone if it's 15%. It's brutal. I imagined maybe 3%. But with 10%, will have to keep buying the MXMs. Hopefully that data is wrong, after somebody does some detailed testing here :). But if not, I can't justify the change, as much as I'd like to do it.
  • > @elptxjc_98581461 said:
    > I'd love to move up to an ultra high-performance A/S tire like the A/S4, but no way I can give up even 10% efficiency, let alone if it's 15%. It's brutal. I imagined maybe 3%. But with 10%, will have to keep buying the MXMs. Hopefully that data is wrong, after somebody does some detailed testing here :). But if not, I can't justify the change, as much as I'd like to do it.

Can you explain why a 10% hit in range is that important? You are absolutely entitled to it being important. I was just wondering what was making it a no go for you? Lots of long distance travel in places where supercharging isn't readily available? I say this because I drive a P and drive it all over and never had an issue with the range being less due to 20' tires etc. TIA
  • Here’s my data on a 20% hit:
    https://forums.tesla.com/discussion/173120/new-tires-conti-dw06-255-40-18

My conclusion was that it didn’t impact my use of the car, but I was quite surprised by the penalty. Recognize that a 20% hit is 60 miles less range...
  • Yes, I have had them on my RWD LR M3 for almost 5K miles. Significant improvement over the MXM Primacy or whatever was on it before. The turn in is better and it is no louder. Range did take a hit, at least until I upped the tire pressure. When they installed the tires the the pressure was 39 - 41. I corrected them to the factory 45(yes, I checked the door frame and it lists the pressure at 45 PSI) and some of the range came back. I don't really know how much as it has gotten much cooler since I installed the new tires. BTW, I got almost 35K miles on the originals and these still look brand new but too early to know how they will last. I will be taking them in for rotation and balancing in a month or so. It will be interesting to see how they are wearing.