Model S

Model S instrument cluster display separating

Has anyone heard of this problem, the instrument cluster (speedometer) display is separating from the clear plastic in front of it. It started looking like a bubble in the lower right corner but has now progressed to all around the display... I am wondering if this is going to be a functional problem or just cosmetic.. So far the display works fine. They want $1,600.00 to replace it and I just spent $2,600 to replace the other display.
2014 P85D Model S about 60,000 miles on it.

Comments

• Yes, this is the same situation that happened with the main screen on earlier models. Not as frequently reported, but I’ve heard others experience it before. From a functional standpoint, I’m not aware the screen will not display the correct information, but you may start seeing sticky goo leak around the edge. That’s likely the thing that would trip me over the edge to get it replaced.

RE your comment of spending $2600 to replace the other display ... was that the upgrade from MCU1 to MCU2? If so, then that requires the instrument cluster to be replaced. Only reason I ask is the $2600 number seems high for what I typically hear quoted for the screen replacement.
  • This is a fairly common problem on the older cars. It happened to our 2015 85D. It is actually liquid leaking out of the screen and you will eventually need to replace it. The liquid can make a mess. It cost $1,700 to fix.
  • It was repaired in September 2019, the invoice says they replaced the MCU (1045006-00-D) for $2500 and a rear camera jumper and blue tooth antenna total cost $2,849.10. I don't know if they replaced it with an MCU1 or 2 but I do know the cell service went from 3G to LTE. Is that an MCU2?
    The car was 4 years 9 Months old and had 49,000 miles on it.
    I am going to have the dashboard cluster repaired today for an estimate of $1,600 .. Seems to be a lot of expensive repairs considering it has only been out of warranty 2 years. Thats almost $2,000 a year for repairs.
    I hope it doesn't continue to go at that rate.

John
  • No - LTE goes not indicate it is MCU2.

You can see the detailed info on the MCU, including which generation, by going to the “Software” tab then tapping on “Additional Vehicle Information”. If it says “NVIDIA Tegra” for the Infotainment processor it is an MCU1.
  • > @jmmcalpin_93329020 said:
    > Has anyone heard of this problem, the instrument cluster (speedometer) display is separating from the clear plastic in front of it. It started looking like a bubble in the lower right corner but has now progressed to all around the display... I am wondering if this is going to be a functional problem or just cosmetic.. So far the display works fine. They want $1,600.00 to replace it and I just spent $2,600 to replace the other display.
    > 2014 P85D Model S about 60,000 miles on it.

It is just cosmetic, but that gell will eventually leak down to the steering column, the knee panel, and the carpet. It is almost impossible to clean up. Check out how to replace it yourself here: https://youtu.be/dTYDyAEynkY
  • Common. It happened to both my 2013 and 2015. Replacement screen has better resolution, which is nice.
  • In truth there is far less to go wrong with a Tesla or any EV, but components often cost more. The insanely complex S HVAC system is remarkably reliable considering how complicated it is. I had a Volvo computer die (1 of 3) and that was $1900 for a refurbished board. The brake booster was $700, and who has ever had a simple vacuum booster go out? Stuff happens and if one is risk averse, just sell or trade before the warranty ends.