Model X

Model X both fobs not recognized

Got a March 2020 Model X Long Range Plus, software v2020.28.5

Everything was fine yesterday. Today, neither fob will auto-open driver door as I approach, and car doesn't recognize either fob for driving. Placing either fob in the console next to 12V outlet does not enable driving. (I have to use the app to enable driving)
Both fobs still open/close all doors & summon the vehicle from over 50 feet away. Just in case, I left the battery out of the fob overnight to clear out any possible glitches, & also replaced the battery with a new one. Still same conditions.

Anyone seen this?? Any other ideas how to diagnose?

Comments

• Put it in driver's side center cup holder.

If that doesn't work, get some fresh batteries.

https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-CR1632-3-CR1632-Lithium-Battery/dp/B01NGZ5IYO/ref=asc_df_B01NGZ5IYO/
  • Whoops....ignore previous link.

https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-CR2354-Lithium-Blister-Packaging/dp/B00KFSX8KQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=panasonic+c2354&qid=1597023744&sr=8-1
  • Yes, same thing happened to me after updating to 2020.28.6. The issue is with the car, not your fobs.

The fix was to have Tesla re-push 2020.8.6 to my car and then apply the "update" again. After doing that, my fobs worked perfectly again. To get Tesla to push the update again, I had to make a service appointment. Someone at Tesla reviewed my appointment soon after I scheduled it and texted me that they had re-pushed me the update. Good luck.
  • Have fun with that. Same thing happened to me. Car was in the shop for two days while they tried to fix something that shouldn't ever need fixing.
  • I see there's the same subject on this other thread, so I'm going to continue my responses there:
    https://forums.tesla.com/discussion/174685/false-message-key-not-inside-car-unable-to-drive

@jjgunn No, it's not batteries, I changed it. It's something with a car glitch. Hard reboot hasn't helped either..
  • happened to me too after 2020.28.5 update. I found on Facebook advice to call Tesla Support line and ask for "remotely send a reset of security tokens for key fobs". It two calls. First call the guy was not aware of such thing and second guy was helpful and sent the reset right away that fixed the issue. Make a call ;-) takes 20-30 minutes for them to answer.
  • > @"PeteB Lake Oswego" said:
    > Got a March 2020 Model X Long Range Plus, software v2020.28.5
    >
    > Everything was fine yesterday. Today, neither fob will auto-open driver door as I approach, and car doesn't recognize either fob for driving. Placing either fob in the console next to 12V outlet does not enable driving. (I have to use the app to enable driving)
    > Both fobs still open/close all doors & summon the vehicle from over 50 feet away. Just in case, I left the battery out of the fob overnight to clear out any possible glitches, & also replaced the battery with a new one. Still same conditions.
    >
    > Anyone seen this?? Any other ideas how to diagnose?
  • Same thing happening to my model x. Car does not recognize key fobs. Changed battery. Was on with chat guy. Had me do the reboot and still nothing. Told me to schedule a mobile service which won't come for another week. I have version 2020.28.5. Can someone give me the number to call where i can actually speak to a person and have them remotely reset. Thanks