Model X

AC compressor needing replacement after <2 years at a cost of $1200?

I have a MX purchased in 12/18. There is a migraine-inducing high-pitched screeching noise that intermittently emanates from the car's AC system.

Scheduled a service appointment and Tesla has gotten back to me with an estimate of $1200 to replace the compressor.

Last time I have ever had to pay for an AC compressor replacement was when I used to drive 15 year old American junker cars as a much younger man.

I'm flummoxed as to why this repair would not be covered under warranty. Can anyone help me understand Tesla's logic here? Thanks.

Comments

• I can only assume you must drive a lot to exceed the 50K mile portion of the warranty? The average driver does about 12K miles a year or 50K in 4 years.

If you are within the warranty, then the compressor will be covered for free.
  • > @"TeslaTap.com" said:
    > I can only assume you must drive a lot to exceed the 50K mile portion of the warranty? The average driver does about 12K miles a year or 50K in 4 years.
    >
    > If you are within the warranty, then the compressor will be covered for free.

I just checked and have 18K miles on the car
  • Does the estimate mention something like this "if covered under warranty, repair charges will be waived" ?
    The estimate might be generically generated without taking your particular car into consideration.
  • @iamone - It will be free. I've seen Tesla state a price like this when they don't know if the car is in warranty or not. It's dumb, but they will not charge you anything. I think it may have come about from a few scammy owners who get in an accident, have some things repaired, and then claim other damaged items should be replaced under warranty to save money. Until Tesla sees the car, Tesla really doesn't know.
  • > @"TeslaTap.com" said:
    > @iamone - It will be free. I've seen Tesla state a price like this when they don't know if the car is in warranty or not. It's dumb, but they will not charge you anything. I think it may have come about from a few scammy owners who get in an accident, have some things repaired, and then claim other damaged items should be replaced under warranty to save money. Until Tesla sees the car, Tesla really doesn't know.

Thanks. I suppose I'll get some clarity on Friday when I take the car in to the service center. But no way I'm approving this repair and the $1200 estimate ahead of time as they are asking me to do (via the Tesla app).