Model Y

Model Y Sudden Braking

I have barely add my Tesla Model Y for 45 days and 3 times I have experienced sudden hard braking on the highway. The first time, we were on a curve and there was a semi in the lane on the right - so i attributed it to that. The second time there was no car around at all, and all of a sudden the car just brakes by itself --- jerky and scary!!! Fortunately there was no one behind us and we didn't get rear ended.
Yesterday, we were driving on the highway - at 74 mph - and it braked so hard all of a sudden by itself - my son and husband both screamed as to what was I doing. There was no car ahead or side of us but there was a car about 5 cars distance behind us and it had to swerve and move to the next lane - again, thankful that he moved and didn't hit us. After that, all sorts of warning messages started flashing/beeping on my screen :
a) Cruise Control Disabled
b) Automatic Vehicle Hold Disabled
c) Parking Brake Functions Degraded
d) Parking Brake Did Not Engage - vehicle may roll
I almost wanted to pullover to figure out but was a few minutes away from home and my family requested we go home. As I was pulling up on our sloped driveway - half on the road still, i stopped and put the car in Park (P) to let my family off and thought i would reverse and drive around and see whats going on.
And then, oh boy - the car won't move! If i tried changing to Drive (D) or Reverse (R), it would right away go back to Park (P)!!!!! And with the message that the Vehicle may roll, i was completely freaked out as I was on a slope.
Called Tesla Emergency - was on hold for 20 minutes at least - finally got someone on the line. Then we tried to do a hard reboot, and few other options but nothing worked. So he advised that the car needs to be towed as it has problems with its BRAKE!!!
I am so thankful that we had reached home safely - but am very concerned as 3 times we lucked out with this sudden braking - and this issue better get fixed NOW!

Comments

• Clearly, something is wrong with your car. I'm sure service can sort it out. Not sure I've heard of something similar occurring, so it's not common.
  • I'm going to get my car some time next week, now I'm scared :(
  • @21deven - With tens of thousands of cars being delivered, there are bound to be a rare car that has a problem. No different than any other car maker. If you're scared of one rare problem that no one else has encountered, you shouldn't buy any car from any maker. Far worse problems have happened to ICE cars, from engines blowing a piston to gasoline fires where the car is totaled - sometimes on brand new cars.
  • Ok I had this slamming brake experience twice on the highway going about 70, it scared me to death and people in my car were screaming why are you stopping! I didn’t do it, I was on cruise control, the cars in the slow lane needed to merge into my lane but I would have just speeded up or slow down, not stop! Then later I tried autonomous driving and with a lane merge situation it slammed brakes again! The lady next to me flipped me off and I hit the brake to disengage and then gas peddle to get out of her way. I will not use either again until I get an explanation, I don’t trust the car now. I got it 2 months ago and was thrilled, now I’m scared of the technology!What is wrong??? Can that be fixed?
  • > @ndias said:
    > I have barely add my Tesla Model Y for 45 days and 3 times I have experienced sudden hard braking on the highway. The first time, we were on a curve and there was a semi in the lane on the right - so i attributed it to that. The second time there was no car around at all, and all of a sudden the car just brakes by itself --- jerky and scary!!! Fortunately there was no one behind us and we didn't get rear ended.
    > Yesterday, we were driving on the highway - at 74 mph - and it braked so hard all of a sudden by itself - my son and husband both screamed as to what was I doing. There was no car ahead or side of us but there was a car about 5 cars distance behind us and it had to swerve and move to the next lane - again, thankful that he moved and didn't hit us. After that, all sorts of warning messages started flashing/beeping on my screen :
    > a) Cruise Control Disabled
    > b) Automatic Vehicle Hold Disabled
    > c) Parking Brake Functions Degraded
    > d) Parking Brake Did Not Engage - vehicle may roll
    > I almost wanted to pullover to figure out but was a few minutes away from home and my family requested we go home. As I was pulling up on our sloped driveway - half on the road still, i stopped and put the car in Park (P) to let my family off and thought i would reverse and drive around and see whats going on.
    > And then, oh boy - the car won't move! If i tried changing to Drive (D) or Reverse (R), it would right away go back to Park (P)!!!!! And with the message that the Vehicle may roll, i was completely freaked out as I was on a slope.
    > Called Tesla Emergency - was on hold for 20 minutes at least - finally got someone on the line. Then we tried to do a hard reboot, and few other options but nothing worked. So he advised that the car needs to be towed as it has problems with its BRAKE!!!
    > I am so thankful that we had reached home safely - but am very concerned as 3 times we lucked out with this sudden braking - and this issue better get fixed NOW!
  • @thevintagesweetshoppe - there is no need to repeat the OP's text. Yes, it can happen in some situations, and it is important that you be paying attention and take over. It is currently a driver assistant system and is not perfect.

"..Then later I tried autonomous driving" No car exists that you can buy that has autonomous driving. It's is vitally important that you read the manual Autopilot section so you understand what it can and can't do. There are plans for FSD in the future, but it's not here today. I'd advise you to not use the system until you understand it better for your safety.
  • > @thevintagesweetshoppe_98715851 said:
    > Ok I had this slamming brake experience twice on the highway going about 70, it scared me to death and people in my car were screaming why are you stopping! I didn’t do it, I was on cruise control, the cars in the slow lane needed to merge into my lane but I would have just speeded up or slow down, not stop! Then later I tried autonomous driving and with a lane merge situation it slammed brakes again! The lady next to me flipped me off and I hit the brake to disengage and then gas peddle to get out of her way. I will not use either again until I get an explanation, I don’t trust the car now. I got it 2 months ago and was thrilled, now I’m scared of the technology!What is wrong??? Can that be fixed?

It scared you to death (ok) merging yet you keep doing it and riding the merge lane and prefer to simply give up. Crazy thought, Get Out of the merge lane! Umphhh.
  • No you don’t understand the situation so I will not use this forum, Tesla is coming to check
    Out the car but thanks.
  • Our Model S does it too. Scares the heck out of me. I don't use FSD anymore. I do use autopilot and am ready to stomp on the gas in case it phantom brakes again.
  • @HETZ_98510285 - It's great you stopped using FSD as it doesn't' exist yet. Please read the manual so you can understand AP and it's limitations. You need to be paying attention, it is not FSD yet, and may not be for quite a while.
  • @ndias Woah your experience sounds serious and scary. I've had a Model Y about a month. I've had it slow down suddenly on the freeway for no apparent reason (phantom braking) a few times but ONLY in Autopilot, (and I think Autosteer was also on but not 100% sure). Then once in stop and go traffic at very slow speed the brakes/drivetrain suddenly started chattering/grinding loudly, sounded really bad, the car stopped. I turned off Autopilot and the sound went away immediately. (again I think autosteer might have been on but not sure). Based on these incidents, I've decided to turn OFF autosteer for good. Frankly it doesn't work for my needs anyway and its beta. I'll continue to use Autopilot on the freeway and see if these serious glitches ever happen again. So far, they have not. Called Tesla service and they said to submit a Bug Report immediately whenever something like this happens again using verbal command (they need an exact time stamp and vehicle config).
  • I have not seen this happen unless i am on Autopilot. It is quite easy to replicate, happens quite often if you are on Autopilot and come up near a 18 wheeler, the car will hard brake. Not sure how Autopilot is usable when this happens this frequently.
  • What are you calling Autopilot? I can turn on TACC and Autosteer, which I thought was part of the overall Autopilot package.
  • > @donaldinc_98428881 said:
    > I have not seen this happen unless i am on Autopilot. It is quite easy to replicate, happens quite often if you are on Autopilot and come up near a 18 wheeler, the car will hard brake. Not sure how Autopilot is usable when this happens this frequently.

Do you mean both TACC AND autosteer on?
    I have not experienced hard brake when only TACC is enabled (push down once on the gear lever). Sometimes it might slow down slightly near an 18 wheeler but not too bad. And have had no hard brakes. Overall works well. BUT, when enabling Autosteer, I've had some squirrely behavior, braking for no apparent reason. I no longer use autosteer, will wait for the updates.
  • > @davidagrissom_98732475 said:
    > > @donaldinc_98428881 said:
    > > I have not seen this happen unless i am on Autopilot. It is quite easy to replicate, happens quite often if you are on Autopilot and come up near a 18 wheeler, the car will hard brake. Not sure how Autopilot is usable when this happens this frequently.
    >
    > Do you mean both TACC AND autosteer on?
    > I have not experienced hard brake when only TACC is enabled (push down once on the gear lever). Sometimes it might slow down slightly near an 18 wheeler but not too bad. And have had no hard brakes. Overall works well. BUT, when enabling Autosteer, I've had some squirrely behavior, braking for no apparent reason. I no longer use autosteer, will wait for the updates.

I referred to both TACC and Autosteer as "Autopilot" (double tap on stick), which will do the hard braking around big trucks on the freeway. Just a unsafe experience overall with the over braking.
  • I've had the braking on two lane roads where a larger vehicle was opposite traffic or where a 4 lanes road had no median strip. Its looks like it will depend on the road width and road marking. Probably designed that way. BUT it did brake recently when a woman pulled in front of me on a curve. It beat me by a few tenths of a second and I'm pleased about that. No doubt in future updates it will be refined. Until then suggest not using cruise control on narrow two lane roads or four lane roads with no median strip.
  • I’ve even had the same thing happen where construction barrels were over the white sideline. The car was correct that an object was in my lane but not enough that it was a threat. They have the sensors to avoid these hard slow downs but for some reason they haven’t worked on enhancing the logic, even though it’s a huge issue for trusting the system and using it.