General

8 years, any serious competitors yet?

It’s been 8 years since Tesla released the Model S.
There was and has been since then a lot of talk but not much action.
Financial advisors said “just wait, competition is coming”.
Automakers promised a lineup of competition.
Is there a serious EV competitor to Tesla today?
I’m not talking about those “coming soon models”, but what’s out there today that you can purchase today.
Matching up range, price, technology (OAU), charging(Superchargers), Performance etc....
Is there anyone who seriously competes with Tesla as far as being on the cutting edge?

Comments

• Not really no
  • Nope, no Tesla Killers out there that can even compare to the 2012 MS. Pathetic how lame and wrong the media and Wall Street predictors have been and continue to be.
  • It's a bit like Hydrogen cars. They will be practical in 10 years. Now repeat the same statement every year.
  • I dont think hydrogen has any future. Electric is more efficient
  • I'd keep an eye on the Chinese companies like NIO and BYD. They have pretty good cars out now in good volumes and more on the way. While they dont have much impact in US yet, that could change. But, of course TSLA is much more than a car company has lots of neat new stuff in the wings. I expectTSLA to stay well ahead of competition, but the competition will still sell well since the market is so huge. and of course the S Koreans are getting busy.
  • No. I thought there were, then I bought a Tesla.

Hard to see a future for hydrogen In cars at the moment as well. Wrong solution to a problem that’s largely been solved and lacks both efficiency and convenience,
  • 1. Hyundai Kona EV
    2. Kia Niro EV
    3. Audi e-Tron
    4. Porsche Taycan
    5. Volvo Polestar
    6. Ford Mach-E
    7. Ford F-150E
    8. GMC Hummer-E
    9. Rivian Pickup

With EU and China requiring EV's, the industry is coming out with a lot of choices.

Hyundai's using Ioniq as a brand for electrics was interesting. With Kona EV, Soul EV, Ioniq EV an PHEV, Hyundai is stepping up big time.

"Hyundai announced Monday morning in South Korea that a new Ioniq brand will spawn an entire family of fully electric vehicles that will include production models based on the well-received Prophecy sport-sedan concept and retro-styled 45 EV concept.

The start of the Ioniq brand “opens a new chapter as a leader in the area of electrified mobility,” according to a release accompanying the announcement.

Although the rapid growth of Tesla and a corresponding surge in interest for fully electric vehicles in Europe, the U.S., and South Korea—where Tesla recently outsold Hyundai’s own electric cars—isn’t mentioned specifically, Hyundai all but spells it out: that the creation of the brand “is in response to fast-growing market demand and accelerates Hyundai’s plan to lead the global EV market.”

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1129179_hyundai-reboots-ioniq-as-an-ev-brand-starting-with-ioniq-5-crossover-in-fall-2021
  • Always good for a laugh.
  • Fish list has at least 3 cars with less range and bigger batteries than Tesla and at least 4 that just exist on paper.
  • Never disappoints for comic relief.
  • How about we make a fair comparison. How are the OTA updates on those other EVs? How many of those got acceleration improvement software updates?
  • The GMC Hummer-E has nothing on the International CV EV. But neither exist.
  • Back in the 1990's, all of the major car companies said they could not make an EV that was compelling or profitable compared with their ICE.
    Self-fulfilling prophesy for them.
    Fortunately, Tesla came along and proved them all wrong. This is why I've risked so much money in Tesla and not the others.
  • @"David N" nope.
  • FISHEV,
    Please re read my post,
    I thought I articulated it pretty clear, “serious competition available TODAY”
    I believe the list you provided has four EV’s that are not available today, they are not currently in production( #6,7,8,9 )
    As far as your #1,2,3, 4 and 5, anyone would be hard pressed to list them as “serious competition”.
    So.....well, your list is well, not really serious competition.
    P.S. when is your Ford Mach EV due?
  • Lines 1 and 2 of Fish’s list are credible. I looked at, and drove the Kia, it’s a good car. Nice hatchback, good for families, good range, warranty and customer satisfaction. Let down by long lead times and prices close, even second hand, to the Model 3, but without the 150kWh+ charging infrastructure for people who want to drive long distances day to day. Good choice otherwise.

I would like an Audi, but the one launched is far too expensive and has range limitations. The Porche is impractical and expensive for the mass market and also needs better charging infrastructure to be suitable for business users.

Polestar looks very good and should sell well. Priced head to head with Model 3, hatchback and has some features that are missing on the Model 3 that are important to me for UK driving, but, again, not enough supercharger equivalent charge points yet.

If I were buying today it would be choice between the Polestar and Model 3, but the Model 3 would win on journey time.

Surprised the Jaguar wasn’t on the list. Award winning car, high user satisfaction. Charging infrastructure an issue. I met a Jaguar owner at a
    Holiday Inn charge point. He was surprised I was using it - I like the network and had time that day to still I get for a cheap charge. He really wanted the range of the Model 3 and supercharger network.

EVs, at the moment, need a combination of big batteries and high efficiency to succeed as ICE replacements - unless you normally stick within 100 mile radius of home and don’t mind longer charge times when you go further afield.

There are some very good cars around if you are happy with couple of hundred mile trips and/or a commuter/city car. Fish could have included the Renault Zoe for example. You then have the mass market electric versions of ICE hatchbacks that are being heavily marketed. Every advert these days seems to reference electric in some form.

I stick by my earlier response that there are no serious competitors yet, they don’t have the complete package. Especially when you look globally, and Tesla, albeit an incredible American success story, is a global player.
  • > @andy_98490374 said:

> Surprised the Jaguar wasn’t on the list. Award winning car, high user satisfaction.

Added.

1. Hyundai Kona EV
    2. Kia Niro EV
    3. Audi e-Tron
    4. Porsche Taycan
    5. Volvo Polestar
    6. Ford Mach-E
    7. Ford F-150E
    8. GMC Hummer-E
    9. Rivian Pickup
    10. Jaguar iPace
  • You can make the list as long as you want. Because the market demand tells you how much people want them. Tesla leads in software.
  • @andy_98490374, You got that right about Tesla. I took our model 3 for round trip of 1800 miles this summer. And to my surprise it wasn't that different from ICE cars I took the same trip in. What I am trying to say that Tesla was able to make EV that is as easy and trouble free to travel long distances (actually better). I wasn't tired at the end of the trip thanks to the longer breakes while charging (never wait to be done charging) and use of AP with Autosteer about 80%. My kids (4,6,8) on the back seat behaved like angels vs how they behave in SUV (both ways of the trip). After the trip was I done I told my wife that I am a firm believer now that future is here Thanks to Tesla.
  • > @andy_connor_e said:
    > You can make the list as long as you want.

Nope. It takes cars to market. The above are the EV purchases one can make in just the over 200 mile range category.
  • Cars to market. Something about that statement doesnt add up. Who sells these right now?

6. Ford Mach-E
    7. Ford F-150E
    8. GMC Hummer-E
    9. Rivian Pickup
  • The quantity and quality of traditional auto manufactures is steadily increasing. That's a good thing. In certain market segments and for certain buyers (driven by fit and finish, price, national pride) they are growing in popularity and sales. That is a good thing.

However, Tesla's vertical integration, culture of rewarding advancement in tech, and overall vision continues to have them far out in the lead.

If this was 2012 and I had all of these choices I would probably NOT buy a Tesla. Now I won't buy anything else. They were ahead, they are ahead, they will be ahead.

The question was how is a viable competitor to Tesla? Shouldn't that include the ability to produce at scale? Who as the batteries to do that?
  • Competitors still have no way to charge easily. They use the awful and expensive CHAdeMO or CCS networks. That alone should make anyone plan on Tesla over these vaporware and compliance vehicles.
  • Exactly TT.

Some of the other vehicles I might consider, but the lack of a serious charging infrastructure makes it a lost cause. Some of them will be great around town, but I need something to travel in.

EA is a nice start, but seriously lacking in the number of chargers at the locations.

Cybertruck it is.