Model S

Starting March 15th, Tesla Forums will become read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

Re-badging placard for tire weight?

My 2017 model S 100d came with 19" wheels with a weight bearing requirement of 98. I bought used factory 21" wheels a couple days ago. I went to discount Tire to have the new tires put on them. They indicated they could not put the factory 21" wheels on because the only weight bearing they came in was 96. Apparently they do not even manufacture a 21" tire with a load bearing of 98. They suggested I go to Tesla and get a new door placard indicating 21" wheels with a load bearing of 96 which is the optional upgrade. Has anyone ever gone through this or can offer any advice? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• FWIW – I ordered my November 2016 build, Model S, P100D, with the 21”Grey Turbine Wheels. The Michelin Pilot Super Sport staggered tires are sized (front) 245/35ZR21 (96Y) and (rear) 265/35ZR21 (101Y).

My driver’s side B pillar placard states tires sizes are front 245/35R21 and rear 265/35R21. Cold tire pressure for 21” tires is 42 pounds. The combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed 901 lb. The placard says nothing specific about tire load index or speed rating.

Perhaps your Discount Tire is unfamiliar with load and speed ratings vis-à-vis Tesla. They may have an institutional requirement about changing the placard. While the Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires are not cheap at your local SvC, maybe you should take your car there for tires. Good Luck.

BTW - my 2014 P85+ came with the Michelin PS2 tires which are rated the same as the Pilot Super Sport.
  • The tire pressure and loading info labels are available. You should order them and stick them on your car. Here's what I found in the parts catalog
    LBL, Tire Pressure & Loading info Label 1013935-00-C
    LBL, Supplemental for Op. Tire package 1025547-00-A

But if I find any shop that is not interested, not showing me that they want to sell me something, not interested in my business, I don't want them working on my car. I can't be certain they are as interested in my safety as I am.
  • > @me_93512285 said:
    > My 2017 model S 100d came with 19" wheels with a weight bearing requirement of 98. I bought used factory 21" wheels a couple days ago. I went to discount Tire to have the new tires put on them. They indicated they could not put the factory 21" wheels on because the only weight bearing they came in was 96. Apparently they do not even manufacture a 21" tire with a load bearing of 98. They suggested I go to Tesla and get a new door placard indicating 21" wheels with a load bearing of 96 which is the optional upgrade. Has anyone ever gone through this or can offer any advice? Thanks in advance.

I just ran into the same problem. Did you get a resolution?