Model 3

Strange noise backing up

My model 3 makes like a ufo sound when I go reverse. Is this unique to the model 3 because 2 people I know that have the model Y doesn’t have that noise. Does anyone know the answer?

Comments

• Um. I have a 2018 M3 LR that doesn't make that noise. But at one point, due to pushing from the blind (not joking), a noisemaker was added to the car for use at low speeds. I believe one can change the noise, but, since I don't have the noisemaker, I can't change the noise :smile:
    As it happens, it's not just the Teslas that get this treatment. Similar fun on Gen 3 and Gen 4 Priuses is present.
  • Yep, that is the backup sound. There is a different sound going forward. Only applies at low speed. No option to change the sound...yet! I believe this started with cars manufactured in September 2019.
  • And, just in case it wasn't clear: this is a feature that, as I said, was pushed by the blind. In large part because BEVs and full hybrids don't make a whole lot of noise when moving around at low speed.
    FWIW, sometimes I wish this could be retrofitted by Tesla into older cars because, by gum, there's _sighted_, oblivious people who walk down the middle of a lane in a parking lot who don't realize they're being followed by a car :smile:
  • Thank you for your answers but that doesn’t answer my question. I have the 2020 model3 LR and it only makes the sound going in reverse but going forward no sound at any speed. 2 people I know that have the model Y makes no sound going in reverse or going forward at any speed. Why is it like that?
  • Page 85 of the owner’s manual

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_3_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf
  • > @mikejord_98711750 said:
    > Thank you for your answers but that doesn’t answer my question. I have the 2020 model3 LR and it only makes the sound going in reverse but going forward no sound at any speed. 2 people I know that have the model Y makes no sound going in reverse or going forward at any speed. Why is it like that?

Yes, this is normal. My 2020 M3LR makes a UFO sound backing up (easy to hear) and a whooshing sound moving forward (hard to hear). Kind of like 21st century deer whistles! Both are DOT mandates as of some recent date.
    :)
  • I have a 2019 and sound is obvious in reverse... didn't know it made a sound going forward. So, not obvious.
  • Low speed noises are no mystery as they were mandated by law almost a year ago. Musk has been tweeting lately about customizable options like goat bleating. What is curious is if a Model Y did not have this “feature.” It suggests a malfunction.
  • Or possibly the model Y owner disengaged the noisemaker. Easy to access behind front right wheel well (at least on the 3).
  • This is true.
  • There were also s> @M3phan said:
    > Or possibly the model Y owner disengaged the noisemaker. Easy to access behind front right wheel well (at least on the 3).
    >

There were also reports that the early production Y’s for some reason didn’t have that speaker. Not sure if the more recent cars have them or not yet but the 3’s for the past year or do have them. Like others have said-it’s now a government mandate.
  • Hopefully there will be a customize option in future releases. Maybe an audio clip from an appropriate song:
    "Drive My Car" - The Beatles
    "On The Road Again" - Willy Nelson
  • Externally amplified emissions mode.
  • It isn't in all Ys. I got a Model 3 in March 2020 that has the sound (until I turn it off), but my wife's Model Y we got in June does not have it.
  • > @mikejord_98711750 said:
    > My model 3 makes like a ufo sound when I go reverse. Is this unique to the model 3 because 2 people I know that have the model Y doesn’t have that noise. Does anyone know the answer?

My model Y I just got this week Whenever I go reverse there is a loud noise. Only in reverse mode (no sound in driving or parking mode.
    my model 3 I got it from last year doesn’t make any loud sound when I go reverse)

I wonder the same thing. Is this normal?
  • Its normal and mandated by law. Here is a video about it. The speaker in under the car near the front passenger side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cSnJrYBnes&t=583s
  • Yes, that is entirely a normal sound only when backing up, all the 3s I know of do it.
  • You can disconnect the speaker...
  • > @zenvedev_98241378 said:
    > You can disconnect the speaker...

I do not think you can. I suspect it causes a warning message and of course there is the legal issue. :-) Watch the video I posted they refer to a bypass plug that is available if you want to disable the speaker.
  • I thought the speaker was easily unplugged. No experience there.
  • No alerts
    https://forums.tesla.com/discussion/167182/frenchman-shows-how-easy-to-disconnect-pedestrian-warning-system-speaker-on-his-model-3
  • I'm holding off disconnecting it as I hear custom sounds may be coming.
  • My model 3 of late 2018 does not have sound warning system. I prefer to have it installed if it is feasible. Pulling out the car in a busy parking lot is potentially problem!
  • Why disconnect a safety feature that is intended to protect others?
  • > @sportz80_98334405 said:
    > “My model 3 of late 2018 does not have sound warning system. I prefer to have it installed if it is feasible. Pulling out the car in a busy parking lot is potentially problem!”

Mine is also 2018. Most ice cars are not loud enough to be heard when pulling out at reverse speed ... the safety risk is overstated here. (But I will be jealous of the custom sounds once they become available.)