Cybertruck

Plowing with a Cybertruck?

Our Family has plows on most of our trucks.
Our trucks are used for towing, hauling, everyday ride, and snow plowing.
I hope that a plow option will
be available.

Comments

• If not, it will be easy to retrofit.

The stainless steel exoskeleton and axel will be able to withstand a few thousand pounds of snow.

I will personally ensure our company manufactures whatever aftermarket parts are needed for plow/grapple/winch. You've got power available at the midpoint and rear.
  • Plowing is very tough on trucks. The CT is a 1/2 ton. I see very few 1/2 trucks with plow blades. What works best for plowing is a big old heavy 3/4 or 1ton body on frame solid front axel on leaf springs. I’m not saying you won’t be able to plow with a CT but I’m betting plowing on a regular basis will trash it rather quickly.
  • @coleAK

The payload capacity of the CT bed is 3500 pounds. That's almost double a one ton's capacity.
  • Never had a plow. Why is a solid front axle and leaf springs better? Seems if the vehicle is designed for towing, it should handle pushing? Having the adjustable height system would seem a huge benefit to lift/lower the plow.
  • > @TabascoGuy said:
    > @coleAK
    >
    > The payload capacity of the CT bed is 3500 pounds. That's almost double a one ton's capacity.
    With plowing it’s more about withstanding the repeatedly ramming into large immovable things (Pushing the snow into a pile) than payload capacity.
  • @coleAK

I agree that plowing is rough on trucks. My thought was that if they are building it rigid enough to carry more weight, it should be able to push as much snow as a similarly spec'd truck.

I was more curious where the 1/2 ton you mentioned came from.
  • ...of course we don't get arctic circle snow for 10 months out of the year down here either.
  • What is tough with plowing isn’t the pushing it’s the ramming. Snow plowing is more like using a battering ram than just pushing things around. Leaf springs and Solid axels to take the hit over and over, coils tend to brake, Heavy everything is better. But then I see more days a year with snow on the ground than not
  • Instead of a plow, how about an electric snow blower mount? Perhaps a design using three EGO style electric snowblowers powered by the main battery. A plus would be pressure sensors to detect light or heavy loading on the snowblower to move forward at the right speed.
  • I think this would be a great question to pose to Tesla. Would give good insight into the strength of the exoskeleton design.
  • > @"TeslaTap.com" said:
    > Instead of a plow, how about an electric snow blower mount? Perhaps a design using three EGO style electric snowblowers powered by the main battery. A plus would be pressure sensors to detect light or heavy loading on the snowblower to move forward at the right speed.
    >
    >
    Up here in central Alaska large enclosed tractors or front loaders with a snow blower are used much more than plows. Most blower attachments are ~900-1000 lbs, I’ve never seen one on a truck. When we had a 1/2 mile driveway I had a Holder with blower, now I have a Honda 1332 on tracks.
  • Instead of a plow, how about lasers...?

(You know Elon has the engineering team looking into it.)
  • Maybe mount a row of Boring flame throwers?
    Now that would look cool!
  • I have a BOSS 8 foot V plow. It was a large investment. I will like to use it on my CT. Has Tesla given the plow companies specs to have adapter plates available. I like to use my V plow with out my making adapters myself.
  • Good day. As most of the posts here have said, plowing is hell on a vehicle. I've had plow trucks for 35 years and it has been an interesting ride keeping them going. I bought my current 99 F-350 PowerStroke diesel as a non plow truck a decade ago. I put my plow on it and it has held up with the exception of rust.
    I'm undecided if I will plow with the CT.
    Also, I have not seen it mentioned here, but Fisher Plow Company makes plow mounts which are particular to a truck model. The plow itself has no concept of what vehicle it is mounted to. When I got my 99 F-350 I moved the plow from my 98 GMC onto it. I had to buy the particular mounts for my truck and I simply moved the wiring harness from the GMC to the F-350. It will be interesting to see if Fisher makes mounts for the CT.

And, FWIW, after getting a quote of over $1500 from the Fisher dealer to install my plow on the F-350 I did it myself. Got the mounts used on Craigslist for $250 and used my existing wiring harness. Had to change the headlight sockets, not a biggie. Whole project took the better part of a Saturday. > @KaercherA1 said:
    > I have a BOSS 8 foot V plow. It was a large investment. I will like to use it on my CT. Has Tesla given the plow companies specs to have adapter plates available. I like to use my V plow with out my making adapters myself.

> @KaercherA1 said:
    > I have a BOSS 8 foot V plow. It was a large investment. I will like to use it on my CT. Has Tesla given the plow companies specs to have adapter plates available. I like to use my V plow with out my making adapters myself.

> @KaercherA1 said:
  • > @"David N" said:
    > Maybe mount a row of Boring flame throwers?
    > Now that would look cool!
    20k BTU Roofing torches are amazingly ineffective at melting snow and ice.
  • ...and you know this how? :)
  • ...because he ended up on the news.

https://twitter.com/7NewsMelbourne/status/1088339556888268800
  • That looks like a bad idea all round. Thanks for the link? ;)
  • Live in Alaska and when we moved into our current house and the garage faces due north and driveway slopes toward the house. By the April I usually have ~4” of solid clear ice in the 10-15’ in front of my garage. About 10 years ago I bought a roofing torch that is similar to but cosmetically different than the boring “flame thrower”. It takes hours to melt even a small patch of ice, then with frozen ground the patch almost immediately re-freezes. Now I just use the torch as an impressive way to start fires in my backyard fire pit.
  • Well, I WAS kidding, but now we know! :)