Model X

Model X now or wait until refresh?

I have an X ordered that is expected sometime in September. Question is...do I take delivery when available or do I wait given the rumors of a refresh, plaid powertrain etc.? Feels like waiting until after battery day scheduled on 9/22 isn’t a bad idea. Any thoughts on this one? Whenever plaid becomes available, is this likely only for the performance version (I am not interested in the performance version)?

Comments

  • The expectation is the "Plaid" version will be its own version, beyond Performance, and more costly as well. It's also unclear if it will be for the S only or both S and X. As for a refresh, it could happen tomorrow or 2 years from now. So far zero hints from Tesla.

    That's one problem with technology change, you can wait forever for the next big thing, or enjoy what's known and available today. Sorry, but I suspect that doesn't help in making a decision!
  • > @"TeslaTap.com" said:
    > The expectation is the "Plaid" version will be its own version, beyond Performance, and more costly as well. It's also unclear if it will be for the S only or both S and X. As for a refresh, it could happen tomorrow or 2 years from now. So far zero hints from Tesla.
    >
    > That's one problem with technology change, you can wait forever for the next big thing, or enjoy what's known and available today. Sorry, but I suspect that doesn't help in making a decision!

    haha...doesn't help, but is also consistent with my thoughts. My only major concern was buying now and in a very short time having a major upgrade announced that kills the value of my car given the plan is to trade it in a few years for the cybertruck. That said, it seems like that isn't the way Tesla has worked in the past and most upgrades tend to be more incremental. It also wouldn't make sense for them to cannibalize existing demand or spend huge effort revamping the X when the goal right now is volume. Who knows though!
  • As to resale value, if you bought today, and they came out with a major new version tomorrow, it would reduce the value of your new purchase IF SOLD TODAY. If you plan to keep it 4+ years, it seems the resale values are not all that much affected between variants. The demand for used Teslas is still high, and generally, the resale values have exceeded comparably priced cars from BMW, MB, Audi, etc.

    Still, I totally understand your concern. The only way I know to get on the front of this is to wait until some major change is made. That might be a short or long wait though. Even then, another change could be around the corner!

    Cool planning for a Cybertruck. Too big for my needs and wouldn't fit in my garage - perhaps a good reason to buy a new house :)
  • Personally I would wait for battery day at this point, it’s only 10 days away. No chance they would announce a big meaningful change shortly AFTER a meeting of stockholders.
  • If you are in the market for a full-sized SUV such are the X you might want to consider putting a deposit down for the Fisker Ocean. I'd obviously get the X now since it's the only available option for a full-size SUV and just enjoy ir for a couple years and then either get into a new X (if it did get refreshed) or the Ocean (which will be a fraction of the price too). This is just an option for consideration.
Sign In or Register to comment.