Model S

MCU failure

Add me to the owners with an MCU failure. I have a 15 Model S with 54,000 miles, conveniently after warranty. Hard to imagine such an expensive car would have a $2000+ repair bill this early! I understand normal wear and tear but this is BS. Tesla should stand behind their product...

Are there any class action lawsuits out there????

Comments

• Which service center quoted $2000? They are reportedly doing the repair for $500 now - just replacing a daughter board.
  • @casmcm - Yes, any part failure out of warranty is annoying. Not sure what grounds a class action lawsuit would have. Tesla replaces them if they fail under warranty. What vehicle manufacturer offers a lifetime warranty? When the warranty runs out, the customer is then repsonsible. A replacement MCU1 is $1300 + labor. Never heard it cost $2K, but maybe that's Canadian.

@tes-s - I'm not sure the daughterboard option is available everywhere, but worth asking about.
  • @casmcm, I'm the nut-case that's keeping the list of failed MCUs. Can you also share your car's build date and battery size for my collection, please?
    Sorry to hear, and thanks.
  • Not aware of an active class action, but suggest you file a complaint with NHTSA on safety grounds - no turn signals, no back camera, no defrost controls. They are already investigating, but more complaints can only help.
  • Oh @barrykmd :smile:

Turn signals work more often than not, you just don’t have the audio chime,
    The back up camera is a safety feature, seriously??
    I still look over my shoulders. Generational?
    Defrost!?! There are times and situations where ANY car will fail based on the situation and weather.

Sorry, calling this FUD. 😷
  • Backup cameras are now required by law, right? If they don't work, that's a law-breaker.
    Turns signals seem to work 50% of the time. There have been documented reports of people walking around the car to check and they ARE out. Not just the internal indicator.

Sell some TSLA and buy an AC unit, NKYTA. You won't be so grumpy :-)
  • I just had my MCU go out as well and the repairs cost around $1300 which is okay since my car is no longer under warranty. What frustrated me was that my car was in service for 20 days without a loaner. They first told me it will take two weeks to get the unit and get it installed and then they kept changing the date. I understand with COVID-19 but I still need a car to get around! Finally I was able to go pick up my car and it was a hot mess. I don't know where they had parked during the service but there was bird dropping everywhere. The Tesla rep just said: 'sorry, TESLA does not wash the cars'. At this point I was desperate and just wanted my car back. It has only been a week and now my car is giving warning signs that acceleration is not working and the car may not restart 'service needed'. I JUST GOT THE CAR BACK FROM SERVICE!!! This is so exasperating and I called roadside assistance and they said that it is probably a software glitch because the car is operational. I need to call service tomorrow and deal with long waits on the phone.....AHHHHHH!
  • I sense a trend...
  • @barrykmd - The backup camera wasn't required when cars with MCU1 were made. I'm not aware of a retroactive requirement that all older cars must install a rear video camera and display screen.
  • My 2015 Model S started having problems the first of July. Finally got service scheduled for July 31. It could not be fixed and I was told I needed an MCU upgrade. The part has been on order and they keep rescheduling the replacement. It is currently set for August 31. VERY FRUSTRATING being without my car for almost 2 months. Until this episode, I always said it was the best car I ever owned. NOT A HAPPY TESLA OWNER AT THIS POINT.
  • Your 2015 S could not be fixed? Need an MCU Upgrade. Most of us have had to nearly beg to buy the MCU2 upgrade. I've not heard anyone before this post report "I was told I needed an MCU upgrade". Very very unusual.
  • I have a 2016 MS 70D. The MCU went out right before the warranty expired. After waiting for over 6 weeks for the part, I was finally allowed to bring my vehicle in and a loaner was provided. I was told Tesla was experiencing shortage of the MCU1. I was offered the upgrade to MCU2, which will cost me at least $2500, but I declined as I intended to get the Cybertruck when it comes out. Anyway, I was told that they will try to replace the motherboard or daughterboard of my MCU.

Has anybody heard about this procedure? Does it work like it supposed to?
  • > @bcabad_98130024 said:
    > I have a 2016 MS 70D. The MCU went out right before the warranty expired.

How unusual! :-)
  • @bcabad, I collect MCU failure data. Can you share your mileage and car's build date or delivery date, please?
  • > @bcabad_98130024 said:
    > I have a 2016 MS 70D. The MCU went out right before the warranty expired. After waiting for over 6 weeks for the part, I was finally allowed to bring my vehicle in and a loaner was provided. I was told Tesla was experiencing shortage of the MCU1. I was offered the upgrade to MCU2, which will cost me at least $2500, but I declined as I intended to get the Cybertruck when it comes out. Anyway, I was told that they will try to replace the motherboard or daughterboard of my MCU.
    >
    > Has anybody heard about this procedure? Does it work like it supposed to?

To answer your question, results are positive from this new fix.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/tesla-now-repairing-mcu1-with-a-new-tegra-card-for-500.202899/
  • I have a 2016 MS 70D at 68,000 miles when the MCU went out. I just got it replaced but less than 10 days later, the car started to give me error messages and now the car is completely dead and unresponsive to either key fob or TESLA app. I have an appointment tomorrow for the towing company to drop off the car. I have no idea what caused the complete failure but I will keep everyone on this forum up to date with the developments. Hopefully my experience will help others facing similar situation. By the way, my car is no longer under warranty and so I have to use AAA to tow my car into service tomorrow.
  • I assume you paid for the recent MCU replacement? Regardless, their work and the parts should be under warranty if new problems are related.
  • @akikiki
    For my 2016 MS 70D, build was 02/16. I am the 2nd owner. It's a CPO that I picked up from Tesla back in Dec 2018 and it already had 38,508 miles. It did come with 50,000 miles warranty with it. I would say that the 1st time the MCU went offline was around 86,500 miles. It did go online again that same day. It did go offline completely at 88,465 miles.

@SoCal Buzz
    Thanks.

I dropped off my car last Monday, 08/17/2020, and I picked it up today. I was told that they replaced the daughterboard and the touchscreen. Here's what I found out.
    * There's still no sound when I use the turn signals and emergency flashers.
    * I could turn on/off the AC
    * Rear camera is working
    * There's completely no sound coming out from the speakers - i.e. radio (AM/FM), streaming, spotify, etc.
    * Navigation is working, but there's no sound when I use the turn by turn navigation
    * Mic is not working
    * I was able to connect my phone but I was not able to hear them and vice versa.
    * I was unable to do voice command
    * With the Tesla app, I was not able to unlock the vehicle, the trunk, the frunk or keyless-start the vehicle

I pointed majority of these to the Service Center before leaving, but I was told that it was highly unlikely that they missed any connections when they replaced the daughterboard, and that it was more than likely software issues. Though it had the latest software, they said that they would resend the software and for me to reinstall it once I get home and do the scroll wheel reset after. I did as instructed, but it did not fix anything.
  • @bcabad - The daughterboard seems to be installed correctly or you wouldn't have a display. My guess is one of the rear connectors didn't get fully seated. That's a bit of a pain to get too, but they really should have checked it more thoroughly. Let us know what the final resolution is.
  • I own a 2015 Tesla S 70D and it is 5 years old with 37000 miles on the odometer. the MCU went out last July. After waiting for 5 weeks and keeping the car in the garage, they finally admitted they couldn't get a replacement and offered a software reboot. The car runs but has had a few nagging problems such as delayed boot and the screen being unresponsive needing rebooting. Today they offered a new MCU version which costs $2500 and having an AM receiver will cost a few hundred more. I think this is not acceptable but I have no choice. I hope NHSTA issues a recall and I get at least a partial rebate!
  • You better ask again. There is no "AM receiver". Or FM, or XM with the new MCU version. Check your facts before you dive in.
  • My '13 went out at 112k on the day they announced the NTSA was investigating this failure. I had slow boot ups and other things (i.e. voice commands, navigation) for a few months prior, and knew it was just a matter of time. I was lucky I had 130 miles of range left when it happened, as I am 55 miles from the nearest service center. It took about 10 days before I got my car back. It cost me around 1200 as they used a refurb unit. I also had the glue separating from the screen at the top, so kind of killed 2 birds with one stone. I confirmed with my son I had no turn signals. When I got my car back, I had to redo all my settings, as none of them were saved. Which meant I had to find our garage door opener so I could reprogram homelink.
  • Don’t confuse NHTSA “investigating” as meaning there is an actually safety issue. NHTSA has to investigate when a certain number of complaints are filed.

I know that I have said this before in this never ending thread but over the past 6+ years I have rebooted my car while driving on the highway going 75 mph. So there is no safety issue to an MCU being out. BTW, not having AC, a map display, etc. is not a safety issue despite what many people think. Safety which is the NHTSA’s focus, deals with anything that can cause an accident or injury.
  • I have never rebooted while in motion. I just don't trust it.
  • I had to drive home on Friday with no MCU as it died just before leaving. What Rich said about there being no safety issue is true, it's just inconvenient. However I'm going to drive my other car into work until I get it fixed (9/8, although I'm hoping that time slots open up before then).