Solar Panels

Tesla Forums are now read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

Utility approval processing time

Just got my panels + powerwall installed last week. Right now waiting for inspection and utility approval. I heard some horrible story about utility approval waiting time. How long did it take for your system to be up and running? My location is HI but welcome to share yours from anywhere.

Comments

• I'm sure there are rare cases of taking a while. I expect most are less than 10 days, but keep in mind it's not really to the utility's advantage, so some places can be slow. I had my activated in February and I think it was about 7 days (PG&E, Northern CA).
  • I'm in HI as well, and am hoping Tesla will schedule my installation soon (waiting on HECO to approve the plans), so please post when you get the approval to turn it on so I can set some realistic expectations! HECO said they have streamlined their approval process, but I have my doubts.
  • > @fstop11 said:
    > I'm in HI as well, and am hoping Tesla will schedule my installation soon (waiting on HECO to approve the plans), so please post when you get the approval to turn it on so I can set some realistic expectations! HECO said they have streamlined their approval process, but I have my doubts.

I sure will. It didn't take me too long to get the pre-approval I hope it won't for you either. My colleague told me she waited for > 6 months for final utility approval. I don't know whether her project was incomplete or this is just normal processing time for HECO. There's a HECO website you can view the queue for utility processing. For my project, it took 14 days (July 10th to 24th) to receive the pre-approval. Can't really tell the final approval processing time though. Google "HECO Integrated Interconnection Queue" and see yourself.
  • Good to know. Thanks for the info!
  • Our problem is we have everything done two weeks ago (city inspected and approved) but Tesla hasn't sent the paperwork to our electric company (SCE) for approval. I don't know why the paperwork takes so long. In this internet age, the slowness should be the physical work (like installation, inspection, approvals, etc.) and not everything else. Everything is done by computer and I have no idea what holding them up in sending approval request to SCE.
  • When I had two PWs added to my PV in early 2019, it took SCE three months to give me PTO.