Model 3

Can we enable speed "Limit" functionalities on Teslas?

I used to have this with my BMW 4 Series - a limit setting that allows me to push the pedal to a maximum speed that can easily be altered (much like cruise control).
Example: I set the limit to 70 kph on a city street and hit the pedal to feel the thrill of the acceleration up to the speed limit, and then coast from there, enter a highway and easily increase that limit to 120 kph and push the pedal to hit that speed.
Shame that I hesitate to make the most of the thrill of the drive daily, worrying I'll be caught by a speed camera.

Comments

• It’s called speed limit mode. See owner’s manual page 141.

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_3_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf
  • True : we are plenty of owners waiting for such an update. Meet us in Tesla owners facebook groups.

The actual speed limit mode is very far from what nadersalim_98543411 is talking here. It requires the use of the app (un-allowed while driving) and has a too short range.

What we are talking here is a feature (just a few lines of code for you guys ^^) working as below :
    Activate de speed limiter feature (could be a double press on one ball of the steering wheel)
    Then we can scroll the max speed we don't want to exceed, from 5 mph (pedestrian shared areas) until 90mph (implement of 1 mph).
    No matter how deep we press the pedal, the car won't exceed the limit.
    UNLESS
    a kickdown on the pedal, wich overrides the limiter, allowing a brutal emergency acceleration.

Interests of this feature

1 Safety : At this point we can give our full attention to the environment (kids, dogs running between parked cars).
    Otherwise the need to permanently check our speed counter wich is a highly dangerous distraction.

2 Keep our driving licences - and keep on enjoying our Tesla - eg: in France the driving license is rated of 12 points. A 5 mph speed above the limit = 1 point lost. 15 mph and 4 points are gone. Using the car's touchscreen can be 4 points. Mobile = 6 points.

3 last but not the least Joy : enjoying the thrill of the acceleration without risking money or drive license.

Really guys, this feature won't be complicated to code and you will make thousands of happy owners. Most of whom who once used this feature will feel orphan without it !

An example : Renault Zoe speed limiter (not advertising AT ALL for this car, it is just that it was my first EV and this video explains clearly the speed limiter feature) - in english https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0sZZpzQVqo

Thanks for considering us

Sincerely

Boris
  • What an enormous waste.
  • Isn't the Model 3 capable of having audible alerts when you go over the speed limit by a custom number of mph or kph? You'd like it to prevent you from going faster? Can't you just listen to the alarm if you exceed the limit?
  • I’m still flummoxed by people who think a speedometer is a dangerous distraction…
    Just my two cents, but this sounds like people wanting a car to babysit them while they drive.
  • > @M3phan said:
    > sounds like people wanting a car to babysit them while they drive.

Are you a Tesla owner ? If yes, then I wonder why you bought a car offering auto pilot, full set driving, lane crossing alarm, environnement monitoring features ? Because a Tesla has #1 priority in its computer : safety.
    It is a baby sitter car that makes us feel way safer than any other brand in the world. And to the extend of an unlikely collision, its NCAP rating shows how much it will still be protecting its passengers.

Furthermore, if you are not interested in a speed limiter feature, you would anyways have the choice not to use it.

This topic is FOR the appearance of this function. If you are not concerned, there are plenty of other topics you can spend time on.
  • Day one reservation holder, bought in the first year of manufacture. By babysitter, I refer to requests that are redundant to already existing features.
  • This feature does not actually exists although it is very common in europe.
    A 77k $ car (price in Europe for a TM3 LR AWD) could offert such feature. The big Plus with Tesla : it is only a matter of update.
    Trolling this topic is just a disrespect for the other ones and will result Tesla people won't pay any attention to this customer request.
    Congratulations for being a day one reservation holder, I mean it !
  • So adjusting the max limit every time the limit changes isn't as distracting as looking at the speedometer?
    And since we're human and mistakenly set it 5 kph too fast and mash the pedal, who will you blame? To each his own, I guess.
  • This already works for setpoint of TACC. “Speed setting, relative”. I choose +5MPH as this is Max of AP
  • @"WEST TEX EV" - That speed restriction only applies if you use AP on secondary roads. On the highway you can use AP at any speed up to 90mph.
  • A variable speed limiter, if the type described, is standard fit in most cars in Europe and a much valued feature. We can’t break the speed limit without risking losing our licences and camera and average speed enforcement is widespread.

A variable speed limiter helps you accelerate up to the speed limit at a rate of your choice, prevents you from accidentally exceeding the limit and allows you to be in full control of the car so you don’t need to hand over control to cruise as a workaround.

It will be mandatory on new cars shortly as a result of recent legislation. The difference from the current speed limiters will be that, at the moment, the speeds are set and varied manually. The new regulations will require the speed limiter to be linked to GPS and traffic sign recognition.
  • s/if/of

@Tom11-18 it isn’t distracting at all. Steering wheels have an adjuster for cruise and an adjuster for the variable speed limiter. It’s no different to the multi-function on the Tesla wheel. It does greatly reduce workload, especially on “smart” motorways where the sped limit can be varied by computers and operators in real time and there are cameras for enforcement. When you pass under a new limit you simply adjust your speed limiter. It also acts as a helpful reminder as to the limit in force is and a check as to whether you set it.

It’s the feature that I miss most from my Leaf.
  • @mazers the audible alerts rely in the car knowing the limit, which it can’t unless it reads the signs as the limits change from minute to minute. If your speed creeps up as you go under a gantry with a camera mounted then it’s no comfort to have an alert chiming at the same time as the camera flash going off.

Speed limiters also make it a lot easier to drive in 20mph residential zones.
  • I agree with the poster, I had a bmw 3 series prior to my Model S. The Tesla is superior is many Ways but the lack of an easy, instant use speed limiter is a major miss for me on UK roads.
    If you haven’t had the BMW speed limiter you might not get the difference but it is a big difference when you have speed cameras on every 10 centimetres!
  • > @andy_98490374 said:
    > @mazers the audible alerts rely in the car knowing the limit, which it can’t unless it reads the signs as the limits change from minute to minute. If your speed creeps up as you go under a gantry with a camera mounted then it’s no comfort to have an alert chiming at the same time as the camera flash going off.
    >
    > Speed limiters also make it a lot easier to drive in 20mph residential zones.
    >

Well, the latest software does read the speed limit signs, at least here in the US.
  • >>> It will be mandatory on new cars shortly as a result of recent legislation.

The great thing about a Tesla is that if this feature is required on New cars, it will likely be added to your car also. One can never tell when, exactly, but as long as Tesla can add it without adding hardware (like another scroll wheel on the steering wheel), they'll add it to the current software used in all similar cars.

I would dearly love if TACC would automagically adjust it's speed as limits change. Right now, it's somewhat good at slowing down when the speed limit drops, but doesn't speed back up when the limit goes up, and its database of speed limits is woefully bad. If the new law requires linkage to GPS, then maybe we both get what we want at the same time....
  • 1000 times this. This is the actual and only reason why I bought a Polestar 2 over a Model 3.

And to EVERYONE not understanding this, and saying stuff like "can't you drive yourself?", or"why should the far babysit you?" etc..

Why do you have TACC then?! Can't you drive yourself?!

Why do you have a backup camera? ycant you use the mirrors?!

Why do you have rain and light sensors?! Can't you see when it starts raining or get dark and turn the whispers and light on yourself?!

A speed limiter, to those who have used them, is such a joy. 90% of the people never use them. But the ones who do are very vocal about it.

I'm a careful driver and respect the speed limit signs etc. Before having a limiter I got a ticket like 2-3x a year. Just accelerate from a traffic light... 20, 30, 50...60kph, oh snap too fast alrdy. *boom

Here's your ticket, Sir. That'll be 30 bucks!

What's the alternative?! Spepping more carefully on the accelerator. And in a 50 zone to go 48-51, constantly checking you current speed, rather than having your eyes on the road. Or having constant chimes.

With a speed limiter... I set it to, say, 50kph in the city, or 30kph. I just step on it, have high acceleration, and the car slows down for me at the posted limit. I never have to worry or even check how fast I am going. And I can go exactly 30, 50, 70 or whatever kph the limit is... not one less. And if I wanna go slower for a turn, or to let someone change lanes or for whatever reason EYE decide to go slower.

Which is the whole point. TACC is perfect for highways. Within cities it is mostly unusble, however.

I love Tesla and the Model 3, but this is such an important convenience AND safety feature, I got a Polestar 2 instead.

Still, I wanna push Tesla to finally include this functionality, so my next car can, hopefully be a Tesla!

One last thing... most European cars have speed limiters, whereas no US cars have it. The Model S, for example, used a Mercedes Benz gear stalk. The Mercedes controlled both ACC and SL with it. The Model S only ACC. It's simply a fact of Americans not knowing this. And then belittleing it, not understanding it, and making outrageous claims about it. Nobody here wants to take any of your existing options away. All we ask is to add another one.
  • Although I see the reasoning in your request, here in the states, speed limits are mostly considered a suggestion by US drivers. Speed limits are rarely enforced and 5, 10, 15 mph over the limit seems to be the standard.
    If your legislation makes it mandatory at some point, I’m sure Tesla will include it in their software. Especially once Giga Berlin comes online.
    And please, stop suggesting it is just a few lines of code. Those “few” lines have to interact with the millions of other lines of code to not introduce unintended bugs and require extensive testing before being released.
  • 1. Not really an issue in the US
    2. I can accelerate from stopped, pedal to the floor, and EASILY let up before going over whatever the limit is. 35, 45, 55, whatever. I do this literally everyday. (This is what I mean about the car babysitting you. You can’t let up after a few seconds?)
    3. This is so not the same as other AP features that are designed for long term driving, not short spurts at a traffic light. Sorry, but it’s simply not the same comparison to me.
  • It’s somewhat shocking that someone would choose a different car solely for a seemingly small feature like this. It must be a huge issue in Europe. But I am hoping that there were other things about the polestar that you liked too.
  • Maybe the stripper-esque name?

I’m teasing...
  • > @M3phan said:
    > 1. Not really an issue in the US
    > 2. I can accelerate from stopped, pedal to the floor, and EASILY let up before going over whatever the limit is. 35, 45, 55, whatever. I do this literally everyday. (This is what I mean about the car babysitting you. You can’t let up after a few seconds?)
    > 3. This is so not the same as other AP features that are designed for long term driving, not short spurts at a traffic light. Sorry, but it’s simply not the same comparison to me.

> @Spuzzz said:
    > It’s somewhat shocking that someone would choose a different car solely for a seemingly small feature like this. It must be a huge issue in Europe. But I am hoping that there were other things about the polestar that you liked too.

That is EXACTLY what I am talking about. Yes. YOU CAN easily do that. I can also.easily drive a manual transmission car. I can also drive on the highway without TACC. I can turn on the whispers and lights myself. I can park without a camera. I can use a normal key with a button. I don't want to. We don't live in the 60s anymore.

The feature I request, that you belittle, simply because you have never heard of it before, is used my MILLIONS of cars. It's not an outlandish thing no one uses. It is literally just the US that does not have it.
    How'd you feel about your next car, if we stripped some of the functionality I mentioned above?! If you have, say, used TACC for the last five years, and all of a sudden, your new car doesn't have that?! Then you request it "but my old Model 3 had it!" And I tell you"its a car?! Can't you drive yourself?! Is it so hard to steer and use your right foot to go the correct speed?!"

Get out of your bubble. Srsly. Not everyone's needs align with everyone else's.

Concerning the 2nd guy. Yes ofc did I like the Polestar 2. As it had many features the Model 3 does/did not have. Like a 360° camera. A heated steering wheel. A powered hatchback. A driver display, etc.

So in the end my decision was 50:50. With the speed limiter being the deciding factor.

Now I am happy with my purchase given the fact that I would have gotten a 2020 Model 3, rather than a 2021 version.
  • I will have to take your word on it. You’re the first person I’ve read mention it...and I do follow what’s going on in Europe so I’m not in any more of a bubble than you are in. Beyond that I’m not sure why you are here. You made a decision for the polestar. Great. You seem to be trying to convince us all that we are stupid for not needing what you need.
  • Have never used the tool being discussed but how about some sympathy for those having to drive subject to the type of enforcement in Europe. Makes me really appreciate the suggested speed limits in US.