Model Y

Are the quality control issues really that bad?

I'm painfully close to putting a deposit down on a Model Y and have been watching many videos as well as reading several customer experience stories and have serious concerns.

I realize people are quick to post negative experiences and slow to post positive experiences, but the posted negative experiences are many and some are unacceptable in my view.

some sample complaints I have seen
*stained white seats that were going to be replaced after they failed to clean, then decided not to.
*telling customers to remove hub cap it too noisy
*3/4" panel gaps that can leak water, but told within spec
*tail lamps more than 1/2 inch difference in how far they stick out

the list goes on and on and many are within the past couple of months (July/August)

can anyone dispel these reports and my concerns?
has anyone had a flawless or near flawless delivery?

Comments

• I felt the same way you did, but I didn't start reading the forums until after I put the $100 deposit down. I figured the worse that could happen is I would inspect the car on delivery and if it was that bad I would refuse the car and all I would be out is $100.

I heard through the grapevine that many of the issues have been addressed. I pick my Model Y up tomorrow at 12p in Brooklyn. Will up date tomorrow. I'm bringing my friend who has a keen eye for detail to go over the 3 page check list with me. lol
  • I would like to get a copy of a checklist? I finalized my Y order online last night. I have had it on order since November but as they have been texting me to finalize it I too have been waiting because of all the build quality issues I am seeing online...also would love to hear how it went with your delivery on your Y
  • > @tdwin2000 said:
    > I would like to get a copy of a checklist? I finalized my Y order online last night. I have had it on order since November but as they have been texting me to finalize it I too have been waiting because of all the build quality issues I am seeing online...also would love to hear how it went with your delivery on your Y

Sure. Here you go. I found it on another Tesla forum. Will def update tomorrow.

https://github.com/mykeln/teslaprep/blob/master/model_y_checklist.md
  • Just a clarification, the $100 is not a deposit. It is a non refundable “order fee” and is added to the price of the vehicle.
  • I got my Model Y over a month ago, and it had some (6) issues the worst being miss-alignment of the rear hatch being about 1/2" off as others have reported.
    None of these ended up being a problem since Tesla fixed them at their shop including a couple of paint defects. Now all is fine.
    A note about misaligned body panels... I have seen near new Bentleys and Audi's with issues I could see from 30 feet away. So although it does seem that Tesla has more problems this way I don't think it is a non issue with other high end cars.
    Finally body panel alignment issues are inherently fixable and are not serious. I would far rather have the guts of the car be well constructed. This is where Tesla is about as good as they get, indeed the electronics are in a higher league vs any other car.
  • > @lph said:
    > ... body panel alignment issues are inherently fixable and are not serious. I would far rather have the guts of the car be well constructed. This is where Tesla is about as good as they get, indeed the electronics are in a higher league vs any other car.<

I want to agree with this, however, I'm concerned the same lack of quality control on the body may exist internally with the hi-tech drivetrain assembly, which could result in premature failure (Such as poorly secured power cable rubbing and eventually shorting).

I'm not trying to slam Tesla, I really want to buy and love a new model Y, but am not seeing evidence that Tesla cares about quality as much as short term profits.

So I ask again, is there anyone out there who had a flawless or near flawless delivery?
    ALSO - has anyone been refused a repair that Tesla deemed 'in spec'.
  • Model Y delivered June 4th. I found the right tail light sticks out a tiny bit but chose to have it fixed if and when the car has to go in for service.

The driving experience is something you must experience for yourself. Just remarkable.

The service center folks are friendly, patient and helpful. It would be difficult not to recommend the purchase. Invest that $100.00 and see for yourself.

Prior to the sale I was given one to use overnight and most of the next day. Twice.
  • @OP - I too am concerned and I pick up my Y today VIN 27xxx. I have two checklists and have engaged a friend to help check out the car. I am currently driving an X and my standard is the Y needs to be as good as the X in terms of QC - I will try and post my experience later in the day. According to local Tesla many Y's come in with no issues. Watch this space.
  • > @Migizi said:

> I'm concerned the same lack of quality control on the body may exist internally with the hi-tech drivetrain assembly, which could result in premature failure (Such as poorly secured power cable rubbing and eventually shorting).
    > So I ask again, is there anyone out there who had a flawless or near flawless delivery?
    > ALSO - has anyone been refused a repair that Tesla deemed 'in spec'.

I say again, I had a flawless delivery and a MY with now 4,000 miles after a 2500 mile road trip through temps as high as 118F.

Your concerns about mechanical/electronics are misplaced. But please, consider a Mach-E if you are so concerned that a Tesla doesn't meet your standards of reliability. Hundreds of thousands of owners have found the cars reliable enough.
  • Mine was flawless, picked up an early one in March. You have to remember a lot of people post disinformation to make Tesla look bad. The cars would not be so popular if they were really that bad.

Panel gap irregularities have been an issue for Tesla, but vastly overstated in my experience. Guarantee you a 3/4” panel gap would not be claimed to be within spec. Max panel gap tolerance is 4mm, less than a quarter of 3/4”.
  • "> @marcustcohn_613318 said:
    > ... my standard is the Y needs to be as good as the X in terms of QC - I will try and post my experience later in the day. According to local Tesla many Y's come in with no issues. Watch this space."

marcustcohn_613318...I look forward to your Model Y review!

> @rxlawdude said:
    > > @Migizi said:
    >
    > > I'm concerned the same lack of quality control on the body may exist internally with the hi-tech drivetrain assembly, which could result in premature failure (Such as poorly secured power cable rubbing and eventually shorting).
    > > So I ask again, is there anyone out there who had a flawless or near flawless delivery?
    > > ALSO - has anyone been refused a repair that Tesla deemed 'in spec'.
    >
    > I say again, I had a flawless delivery and a MY with now 4,000 miles after a 2500 mile road trip through temps as high as 118F.
    >
    > Your concerns about mechanical/electronics are misplaced. But please, consider a Mach-E if you are so concerned that a Tesla doesn't meet your standards of reliability. Hundreds of thousands of owners have found the cars reliable enough.
  • @OP - my delivery was excellent. The Y was as aligned as my X in all regards. Only issue is I cannot open my glovebox but I am going to call and get some guidance on that as it is likely user error.
  • > @rxlawdude said:
    > > ...
    > I say again, I had a flawless delivery and a MY with now 4,000 miles after a 2500 mile road trip through temps as high as 118F.
    >
    > Your concerns about mechanical/electronics are misplaced. But please, consider a Mach-E if you are so concerned that a Tesla doesn't meet your standards of reliability. Hundreds of thousands of owners have found the cars reliable enough."

rxlawdud,

you stated 'I say again', but I don't see where your posted that on this thread? Non the less, I'm excited to hear that someone - you - had a flawless delivery - this gives me hope.

as far as the Mach-E- It's a ford - 🥱 -
    i'm a GM guy - hoping to transition to a Tesla guy....
    first the Model Y - then the Cybertruck
  • also rxlawdude - I never said anything about standards of reliability - my posts have been regarding the quality control and primarily focused on the obvious (exterior)
  • > @Migizi said:
    > also rxlawdude - I never said anything about standards of reliability - my posts have been regarding the quality control and primarily focused on the obvious (exterior)

As for "I say again," it's because I have said the same in the multiple threads like yours that pop up (seemingly at times when TSLA is rallying, but I'm sure that's a coincidence...)

As for reliability, you said: "I'm concerned the same lack of quality control on the body may exist internally with the hi-tech drivetrain assembly, which could result in premature failure (Such as poorly secured power cable rubbing and eventually shorting)." So you indeed expressed a statement implying your concern about reliability.

But more power to you if you find any EV that fits your needs and expectations. You're "painfully close" to ordering the MY. You'll be back.
  • Just picked up ours on 8/29 and the quality was pretty good. very minor hood alignment and they took car of it right then. Build date 8/13/20
  • edited August 31
    I just had an order come in, but the sales rep said it had some alignment issues and with all the recent reported problems, we agreed to wait a few months and see if the line can improve. Even the demo cars at the factory store all had various blatant issues. There is no excuse for the lack of oversight prior to presenting to a customer. I don't think it is enough to just blow it off and say you're buying technology and range. The cars are popular because there isn't really much choice yet. The next couple years will bring much needed competition to this segment. Tesla should take note and step it up a bit.
  • > @xgman_98463466 said:
    > The cars are popular because there isn't really much choice yet. The next couple years will bring much needed competition to this segment. Tesla should take note and step it up a bit.

And until there is anything close to a reliable and cost-effective DCHV charging network for these unicorns, Tesla will still be the only choice. For at least five years. Multiple manufacturers need to pool their resources and cooperate in developing such a network. Electrify America is a case study of FAIL. You think GM, Ford, and others want to get in bed with VAG?
  • That would be nice, but I'm skeptical as well.
  • @rxlawdude - why is Electrify America a fail ? Not defending them but they are rolling out locations at a steady pace.
  • I took delivery of a Y last month in August 2020. I too was very concerned about quality issues after watching videos and waiting about 6 weeks for the car that was supposed to in local inventory but, after I ordered it, found out that the shop didn’t have the car, then needed repairs/ parts after they got it (5 rescheduled delivery dates with very poor communications). Anyway, I brought a checklist and the representative said that they wanted to do a quick delivery process for “my convenience” but they allowed me to stay until I was done the inspection. It was a Saturday and they were doing lots of deliveries. There were obvious scratches inside and outside the car (I was told they won’t fix the inside ones because the policy is if you can’t “feel them” when running a finger over it, they won’t fix them). The coat hangers didn’t work (they told me 50% of the time that happens). More concerning, there were alignment issues like the taillights sticking out and not aligned as well as the rear seats misaligned.

I pointed all of the issues to the delivery person, who wrote down things and said they would schedule repairs. No e-mail, record, or other communication from them again. Used the app to schedule repairs at a different site. They had no record of the delivery items identified and they wouldn’t fix A “rock” ding (per Tesla’s policy) even though I had only driven the car twice and that ding was an identified item at delivery. They also didn’t have the coat hanger parts and told me I would need to ask again for that repair later when they had it in stock (again no follow up communication and how would I know what they have in stock). Just found out that they broke the side of the tail light that was adjusted (could only see it with trunk open and you don’t see anyone for repair pick-ups). The interior modeling on the left backseat side is coming apart now as well (had to bend the pieces back together but still not fitting correctly). No loaner during repairs...Uber credit which expired prematurely and I needed to call to get fixed so I could use it to pick up the car hours after it was done,

Lessons learned: I’m not a car engineer or a paint finishing expert and I’m still not sure the car is what it should be. Take your own pictures of issues at delivery or refuse delivery...don’t assume they will follow up or handle it without you driving the process and make your own documented record. Bring a car expert if you can (shouldn’t Tesla employ these as part of their process). One should not expect such quality issues and lack of customer attention/ follow-up/ ability to get a hold of a live person at this premium car level.
  • My Y was delivered in June. No issues on delivery and no issues after 2,800 miles of driving. A truly remarkable car.
  • Took my delivery last week. No issues except some dirt and acuff marks inside...needs a wipe down tested for almost all documented issues on various sites and I can't find a flaw. It's a wonderful car. Best I ever had
  • I placed an order for Tesla Y (white exterior, white interior, performance) on August 21st, picked it up today. During the long wait for the car (used to just going to a car dealership and leaving same day with new car) I read these forums and got worried about quality issues, so I printed out a checklist and brought to dealership this AM. Couldn't find a single thing wrong with it, even paint. Felt I was pretty meticulous. My VIN was 34XXX. I also got really worried when I saw such an old VIN (was expecting 40+).

My guess (and it could be wrong) is that for everyone who posts about a quality issue there are 10 people out there without them but then again I could be wrong. At least that is the case in other venues. Only reason I am posting this is because I read the OP's post and I know how you are feeling. Anyways its a great car, consider getting it. You can always refuse to pick it up if there is some major quality issue. I said I wouldn't put my down payment until after I looked at the car, the dealership was totally fine with it. The entire process of pick up took maybe 20 minutes.
  • > @marcustcohn_613318 said:
    > @rxlawdude - why is Electrify America a fail ? Not defending them but they are rolling out locations at a steady pace.

Price. Reliability. Number of actual stalls vs "stations."