Cybertruck

Battery swap?

Of course this will have a battery that can be easily swapped by one person without special tools. This makes me wonder how heavy it is carry the equivalent of 5 gallons of gas of battery?

Comments

• They gave up on the battery swapping years ago. And it makes sense too, because when you swap the battery out, you still need to charge the battery pack you took out of the car. Both scenarios require charging, one does not require the infrastructure to replace the battery. Was a good concept, but not the masterplan.
  • > you still need to charge the battery pack you took out of the car

I'm not sure that matters as much when your goal is to get your truck out of a remote location without having it towed.
  • better get yourself one of these then.

https://sparkcharge.io/?v=7516fd43adaa

Swapping a battery in a remote location could not be easier than being towed.
  • > better get yourself one of these then.

Exactly! Why not just build this into the power system instead of asking customers to rely on a third party solution? I can easily buy a great truck today that does not have this limitation. There are generally a multitude of options for getting a few gallons of gas out to a stranded truck.
  • Considering the model 3 battery weighs >1000 lbs and the largest CT battery most likely be more than double that. No way swapping a battery somewhere remote would be feasible.
  • Years ago when Tesla was considering swapping batteries, they had a demo on stage with a robot replacing the battery.

It could be done and pretty quickly, but the cost to swap was more than the cost to charge and I believe you had to come back and get your battery back. You didn’t get to keep the swapped battery. That could be inconvenient.
  • yes, that and both methods require charging the battery anyway. Superchargers are cheaper for a global network.
  • It's far rarer to hear of an EV running out of charge than an ICE running out of gas. Tesla provides plenty of warning when getting low and provides directions to the nearest charger. If you ignore all the warnings and drive until it dies, you could still be towed to a charger. Some tow companies like AAA have a charging truck that can come to you and provide a 20-minute charge - usually enough to get to a charger.

Battery swap makes zero sense as there isn't a need, it's costly, and requires dedicated locations to do the swap. It's estimated the swap locations cost 20 times as much as a Supercharger location, so it's super expensive to build as well.

The idea of anyone personally putting the car on a lift, draining the battery coolant, and dropping out the 1300 pound battery, installing the replacement battery, and refilling the coolant is a bit crazy too. The cost of that spare battery is around $15,000 as well, so I doubt many people are going to be buying a spare, just to allow themselves to run out of power because they want to ignore all the warnings!
  • Not that I agree but I think the OP's perspective is that ICE trucks are superior to EV's.

First he compared a battery swap with the ease of carrying a 5 gallon can of gas.

Then he replied: "I can easily buy a great truck today that does not have this limitation. There are generally a multitude of options for getting a few gallons of gas out to a stranded truck."

Sounds kinda anti-EV to me.
  • The analogy of how easy it is to get a few gallons of gas out to a stranded truck, is equivalent if everything was electric most people would have a mobile quick charger like the one i posted earlier from sparkcharge.

Does it make sense to swap out your gas tank with a new tank thats full? No thats why theres a neck with a cap on it to fill it. You dont put a new wheel on when your tire tread wears down. You dont put in a new engine when the oil needs to be changed. At the time Tesla was doing it battery swap might have made sense because they did not have the 250kW charging technology. Sorry to have to put it this way, but with the cars technology, it tells you how far you can go when you use the nav.
  • Here's the opposite case of an ICE truck vs EV truck. A big event occurs (fire, hurricane, earthquake, etc) that takes out power. There is no way to get gas, as the gas stations are down. There is no way to process a credit card or pump gas.

First I leave my house every day with a full "tank" of EV power, so it's never randomly left at some low level as ICE vehicles are. Second, I have solar, so I can usually charge my EV even if there is a power outage. So I have more real range than most of my ICE friends every day. If I need to travel far, quite a few Tesla Superchargers have a battery backup as well, so they may be able to provide a charge even if local power is out.

Anyway, there can be specific cases where an EV or ICE is better. Overall, EVs will be taking over. EVs have less maintenance, last longer, have more power, are far cheaper to run, quieter, and non-polluting.