Model 3

USB Drive is not being detected by my Model 3

Picked up my Model 3 about 3 weeks ago, all is great besides it not detecting my USB Drive. Trying to use it for TeslaCam/Sentry Mode. I am on version 2020.32.3. When I plug in my USB drive, the lights on the USB go on, but the car doesn't detect it. I am using the USB slot in the front console of the car. I confirmed it does have power by plugging in my phone and it charged. It is formatted for FAT32, and has a folder called "TeslaCam" in it. I have tried 3 different USB drives. Tesla has confirmed they are all compatible with the car to support TeslaCam and Sentry Mode. I tried scroll wheel reset, as well as the "Power Off" button reset. The button under Safety and Security that says "format USB device" is always grayed out as well, even with my USB drive inserted. Had a friend come over with his Model 3, tried out his USB on my car still no luck. Tried my USB drives on his, and they all worked. Any ideas?

Comments

• The "Format" in the car is greyed out if you have two devices connected. It only allows formatting when one USB drive is connected.

Everything else sounds ok. Be sure "TeslaCam" folder is that exact case. "Teslacam", for example, will not work.
  • I thought Tesla moved to exFat format. What version is your car at?
  • 2020.32.3 I have tried exFat as well, still nothing.
  • > @"TeslaTap.com" said:
    > The "Format" in the car is greyed out if you have two devices connected. It only allows formatting when one USB drive is connected.
    >
    > Everything else sounds ok. Be sure "TeslaCam" folder is that exact case. "Teslacam", for example, will not work.

My car only has 1 USB slot in the front. The other is a mini usb slot that came with a wireless phone charger already plugged into it. I have been unplugging it before I try to format my USB, still no luck.
  • Are both plug outlets in the console failing to see it? Are you using some kind of splitter or cable extender?
  • Can your usb play music?
  • Yes both fail to see it. Not using any type of splitter or extender, plugging the USB drive straight into the car. I have not tried to put music on my USB drive.
  • You also said "the lights on the USB go on."

Is it a powered drive? Though, you said your friend tried his, which I presume worked in his car.

Have you done a reboot and/or power off?
  • Yes I have tried a reboot and a power off. The USB drive's I have been trying work in my friends car. The USB drive he uses for his car though does not work in mine either.
  • I'd set up a mobile service then. You've done sufficient troubleshooting to eliminate most factors. It might just be a loose connection.
  • Try a stick with only music on it. See if you can play music.
  • Just make a service appointment with Tesla SC.
  • Got my Tesla 3 performance 2 days ago, and I am having the same trouble. 3 different USB keys. Even got a usb type C USB key. Both front ports charge, but are not recognized in terms of ability to read music off them, or to save video to them.
  • Is the Format button available or is it grayed out? If available then format it in the car, it's no longer necessary to format the FLASH key in a computer. If Format doesn't see it then make a service appointment.
  • @mdahu_98723192 Have you tried a two button reboot? Do it with the thumb drives unplugged. It’s described in the manual.
  • I tried the reboot and still nothing. I chatted with customer service and they recommended a service visit. They think it's a hardware issue.
  • This is the sort of thing that mobile service can handle. Chances are the USB ports aren't connected.
  • USB no longer shows as a music choice in our 2020 SR+. I tried multiple reboots to no avail. I contacted support through Chat, and they told me this is a known issue that they are trying to fix through a software patch. Up until a couple of weeks ago, it worked flawlessly, so I tend to think it isn't my drive, and probably isn't the car's hardware, but a software issue as support suggests. My TeslaCam is still working fine.
  • Tesla made the USB flash drive unnecessarily complex vs. plug and play.

Tesla is trying to address the issue with the ability of the car to format the flash drives specific to how Tesla wants it. You could try that.

Best solution is PureTesla.com and the Pre-formatted drive which is plug and play.

I went through two flash drives that worked and then stopped working before the PureTesla one which has kept on working since I purchased it over a year ago.
  • I just bought a Samsung SSD T5 500GB drive last weekend (Sept 5) and plugged into the USB port, formatted it in the Tesla and it worked perfectly. Before that I had a 32GB Sandisk USB thumb drive. Model 3 LR RWD 32.3 firmware.
  • My 256GB SanDisk Connect drive used to work. Now it won’t. I hit the format USB and it didn’t help and since then the format USB icon is grayed out. I plugged the USB drive into my computer and it says it can’t read it and I’m unable to format it....
  • I just took delivery of my 3 performance yesterday. when I tried using a USB drive, it wouldn't recognize it until I unplugged the wireless charging pad. as soon as I plugged it back in, it stopped recognizing it again. Apparently you can't use both at the same time. as long as I leave the wireless phone pad unplugged, the USB drive and sentry mode work.
  • > @HanyStef said:
    > I just took delivery of my 3 performance yesterday. when I tried using a USB drive, it wouldn't recognize it until I unplugged the wireless charging pad. as soon as I plugged it back in, it stopped recognizing it again. Apparently you can't use both at the same time. as long as I leave the wireless phone pad unplugged, the USB drive and sentry mode work.

That's clearly a defect. Get that addressed by Tesla.
  • On a related note, I highly recommend SSD over Flash. Flash Drives are not designed for the write load the TeslaCam generates. I had two units fail prematurely before switching to an SSD, which has been working flawlessly for almost a year now.
  • I tried formatting my USB using the Tesla, but it seemed to be taking way too long. So I formatted it with my computer, and it seems fine now.