Solar Roof

Smooth solar roof and snow shedding

I'm designing a house in the mountains of Colorado, and would like to use a Tesla solar roof. I'll start building it next summer. I have read that any pitch under a 6:12 (about 30 degrees) will not shed snow efficiently, and I've seen much steeper singled roofs in our area, with solar panels, hold snow for a long time after a storm, thereby loosing production from the panels.

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with the the smooth Tesla roofs (not solar singles, but the kind that butt up smoothly to each other), and if those tend to shed snow easier. They look very slick in the photos.

In case you're interested, the following is from a FEMA snow load resource: https://www.fema.gov/media-library-data/7d8c55d1c4f815edf3d7e7d1c120383f/FEMA957_Snowload_508.pdf

Roof geometry and roofing material influence the tendency of snow to
slide from a roof as follows:

Low slope roofs retain snow more so than pitched roofs. However,
roof pitches as low as 10 degrees have been observed to shed snow.

Steeper roof slopes shed snow more effectively. Thus, greater roof
slopes are common on buildings in the northern States and in
mountainous snow-prone regions.

Roof pitch that exceeds the angle of repose of snow results in snow
sliding; the angle of repose is the maximum angle at which snow
will not slide, approximately a 30 degree roof slope, often referred
to as 6:12 or 7:12. This is not to say that snow on roofs with a
shallower slope will not slide.

Comments

• Does anyone know if Tesla is even offering the smooth option for solar roofing?
  • There's only one style in V3. It has some texture but they are seriously slick with even a little moisture, much much slipperier than asphalt shingles, so my guess is that with any reasonable roof pitch, snow is going to slide like butter in a hot skillet. Be careful slamming the front door!
  • So far i am not aware of any release date for different solar roof types.