Model 3

Not Getting Notofications Anymore? (Android)

Hi all, I have an Android phone (Pixel 3 XL)

I am no longer getting charging notofications at all, and I assume car alarm ones either... ut oh!

I've tried deleting the app, rebooting the phone, reinstalling, signing in, and being sure the notoficiations I want are checked in the app, as well as having my car selected, but they still do not come through.

I've verified in my Android settings notofications are indeed turned ON, so they are on at the system level, they are on in the app, I've cleared data and relogged into the app and resetup notifications, but still not getting any.

I've done this various times now and they are still not coming through. Anyone else having this problem recently?

Comments

• I have a Pixel 3 and have not had the issue. Hubby has a 3a XL and while his sometimes lag a few seconds from mine, he also seems to be getting them.

So, probably not related, but it looks like all of your actions have been on the phone side. Have you tried rebooting the car and/or doing the 2-minute power off? Maybe something is hung up on that side preventing them from being sent rather than something preventing you from receiving?
  • Open Tesla app, then Settings.
    Under Notifications, see Vehicles.
    Make sure your car is listed. Several times I've lost notifications and found a zero here. Just add back your car.
  • I'm getting the same issue on my iPhone. After the latest update to the Tesla app about a week ago, I no longer get any notifications on my phone. Not charging completed, software update, nothing. Notifications are turned on, phone and car have been rebooted.
  • > @hokiegir1 said:
    > So, probably not related, but it looks like all of your actions have been on the phone side. Have you tried rebooting the car and/or doing the 2-minute power off? Maybe something is hung up on that side preventing them from being sent rather than something preventing you from receiving?

I haven't done anything in the car yet, no. What is the 2-minute power off? I can give all that a go later today for sure.

> @sheldon_mike said:
    > Open Tesla app, then Settings.
    > Under Notifications, see Vehicles.
    > Make sure your car is listed. Several times I've lost notifications and found a zero here. Just add back your car.

I did note in my original post that I treid that already too, but thanks, good tip anyways for someone else who might come across this later.

> @melmartin_98345185 said:
    > I'm getting the same issue on my iPhone. After the latest update to the Tesla app about a week ago, I no longer get any notifications on my phone. Not charging completed, software update, nothing. Notifications are turned on, phone and car have been rebooted.

Interesting. I don't recall if it matched an app update or not for me, but I know I just got a new update for the app within the last day or two and it has not solved it for what it's worth.
  • > @corneliousjd_98414277 said:
    > > @hokiegir1 said:
    > > So, probably not related, but it looks like all of your actions have been on the phone side. Have you tried rebooting the car and/or doing the 2-minute power off? Maybe something is hung up on that side preventing them from being sent rather than something preventing you from receiving?
    >
    > I haven't done anything in the car yet, no. What is the 2-minute power off? I can give all that a go later today for sure.
    >

From inside the car, on the menus, I think it's Safety/Security, but it may be Software, there is a "Power off" button. Press that and start a 2-minute timer on your phone. Don't touch anything in the car -- doors, windows, breaks -- nothing. When the timer is done, put your foot on the brake and it will reboot.

Note that this will turn off the AC for that 2 minutes, so if you aren't in a shady place, either run that sucker full blast before you do it to cool the car enough to last that long, or put your window down before you turn it off (it can be down -- you just can't put it down while it's off without cancelling it). You have to be in the car for the length of it and it can get very warm otherwise.
  • I have noticed that some updates of the Tesla App have reset the settings on notifications, calendar sync, and fingerprint auth.

Make sure they are in fact still in the state you had left them. If not, set them to your desired settings. If they are, toggle them twice to see if that resets it.
  • calvin940: +1
    Also in car controls, Settings, Safety & Security, be sure Data is enabled.
  • I have tried rebooting the car and the 2-min power down, neither have helped.

Everything is enabled across the board for notifications/data access.
  • Any other advice on this? This is alarming me that it would not tell me if charging is interrupted, that's pretty important for me to know.
  • I’m had the same problem on my iphone for the past couple of weeks.

I have rebooted and checked everything on my car and phone. I am IT literate and all my phone and car settings are as they should be.

I’ve also installed the app on 2 other iOS devices and an android device and no notifications of any kind work.

Prior to a couple of weeks ago it was fine.

iOS 13.7 and previous
    2020.32.5 and 32.3
  • I still get most notifications on my iPhone, but some go missing. For example, when I charged at home yesterday, I got the charging started notification but not the charging complete. We have multiple iOS devices with the Tesla app installed, and none of them got the missing notification, so it’s probably a server side issue.
  • Could it be a WiFi problem? Try turning off WiFi and force it to LTE. See if you get notifications on LTE only.

Is your data plan current? Does it show expired in the menu? Maybe the car thinks it’s expired?
  • > @HAL2001 said:
    > Could it be a WiFi problem? Try turning off WiFi and force it to LTE. See if you get notifications on LTE only.
    >
    > Is your data plan current? Does it show expired in the menu? Maybe the car thinks it’s expired?

Nope. Nothing like that. Fails on both WiFi and LTE on all devices.
  • How about: Is cabin overheat protection gray’d out? If it is your car thinks it’s in transport mode.

Also you didn’t specifically say if you verified the Tesla data plan expiration date? Being in IT myself I like to hear absolutes. :-)
  • > @HAL2001 said:
    > How about: Is cabin overheat protection gray’d out? If it is your car thinks it’s in transport mode.
    >
    > Also you didn’t specifically say if you verified the Tesla data plan expiration date? Being in IT myself I like to hear absolutes. :-)

Overhead protection is set to off. Not greyed out.

Car is 5 months old so data plan is ok. All other data services work as they should.
  • @HAL2001 - I’m not sure which data plan you’re referring to, but the ability to receive notifications has nothing to do with any data plan. As long as both your car and your phone are connected to the internet, you should be able to get notifications.
  • @EVRider I wasn't sure what Tesla called the data service was so I checked my M3. Under Software when does the "Premium Connectivity" expire?
    And are you certain Notifications are not part of the Premium Connectivity plan? I don't know myself, just looking for any reason the OP is not getting Notifications.
  • > @HAL2001 said:
    > @EVRider I wasn't sure what Tesla called the data service was so I checked my M3. Under Software when does the "Premium Connectivity" expire?
    > And are you certain Notifications are not part of the Premium Connectivity plan? I don't know myself, just looking for any reason the OP is not getting Notifications.

Notifications are under Standard Connectivity included with every car.
    https://www.tesla.com/support/connectivity
  • That is a lot to read but this jumped out at me.

All cars come with Standard Connectivity which provides access to most connectivity features over "Wi-Fi only".

So if your on LTE and you do not have Premium Data then might that be an issue with Notifications? I will have to look at the entire doc tonight. I Do not have time to read it now.
  • I have premium connectivity. My iPhone 11 has not given me any notifications from my Tesla since the last app update. All other notifications work. I can communicate with the car for unlocking doors, turning on A/C etc... but notifications have been silent since the last update.
  • Notifications don't require WiFi. If they did, that would make things like supercharging notifications and Sentry Mode alarms pretty useless.

The connectivity plans determine which services your car has access to, and whether you need WiFi for some of those services. Notifications are a feature of the mobile app, not the car. Nothing in the app is impacted by which connectivity plan the car uses.
  • @melmartin_98345185: Roger on the app update. But Apple keeps on changing iOS around for security reasons and other reasons; so does Android and Android phone makers. Not disagreeing that you're not getting updates, but an app that's not in the foreground is an app that both Android and iOS both like to rig so it can't communicate with, say, servers who want users' locations every five seconds, all the time.
    I'd suspect that it was either a required change by Tesla due to an API change in iOS or some change in iOS that sleeps the app so it won't respond to an external touch from Tesla's servers.
  • > @EVRider said:
    > Notifications don't require WiFi. If they did, that would make things like supercharging notifications and Sentry Mode alarms pretty useless.

But notifications do require Internet Access on both sides. If you do not have Premium then the manual says your data is via Wifi only except for software updates. The manual is not specific if Notifications are part of the standard data plan.

> @EVRider said:
    > The connectivity plans determine which services your car has access to, and whether you need WiFi for some of those services. Notifications are a feature of the mobile app, not the car. Nothing in the app is impacted by which connectivity plan the car uses.

You are probably 100% correct but if the Premium service expired it may explain why notifications have stopped. Since they just added new Notifications for windows and locks they may have tried to make those notifications premium only and accidentally messed things up. Who knows...... But the proof is in the Software menu. If your premium data plan is not expired and your not getting notifications then its not data.

BTW, No one has posted if they called Tesla customer service yet. Surely someone must have called in the problem. What did Tesla say? I find it unusual that people have this problem and haven't contacted Tesla yet.
  • > @HAL2001 said:
    > BTW, No one has posted if they called Tesla customer service yet. Surely someone must have called in the problem. What did Tesla say? I find it unusual that people have this problem and haven't contacted Tesla yet.

I did, got the normal script of checking notification settings on the phone and saying it must be something with that... :/
  • Disabled WiFi in the car over night to make sure it wasn't anything with my home WiFi, left car on Premium LTE service and still no notofications coming through.