Energy Products

What gives???

I have 2 PW2's and a 8.1kw array. I'm was on time based control and discovered around 4 p.m. these days, the PW are max'd out at 9.9kWh delivery. However the delivery is to the GRID not the home. I checked my smart meter and at the time, it was showing 10.5 kWh being exported to the grid.

My expectation was that during peak cost periods, the powerwall would deliver to the home. This behavior has gone on for the last few weeks I've noticed.

I switched the app to just self powered and the battery export to the grid stopped.

I don't understand what is up and was hoping one of you experienced power wall folks would be able to clue me in?

Comments

• I'm not sure what your settings are, but mine works just as I expect.

My settings are:

Customize
    Advanced
    Cost Savings
    30% Reserve
    Peak 3PM-12AM
    Off Peak 12AM-3PM
    Same for both Week and Weekend

My system wakes up each dawn with 30% (or more) in the PWs and proceeds to power the house from the grid while the TEG sends PV to the PWs until they're full (around noon). PV then powers the house until 3PM, when the PWs take over, with all of the PV going to the grid until sundown. The PWs continue to power the house until they run down to 30%, or until midnight, whichever comes first. The PWs then shut down, and the house runs on the grid until dawn.

Hope this helps.
  • Mine works similarly to greg's system, and I'm in the USA. Note that different countries and perhaps utilities have different restrictions/operation. I'm using PG&E in Northern CA.

I have one unusual aspect - wired at my request. The HVAC is on the grid side of the system - so if power is out, I don't have air conditioning. The fan/heater is on the PW side so they can continue during an outage.

Now at night with grid power available, if the A/C comes on, the gateway is smart enough to power the HVAC from the Powerwalls through the gateway. This was unexpected but rather slick!
  • Affirmed again. Same basic settings as Greg. I use a slightly different reserve (depending on winter/summer) and my peak is 4p-9p weekdays only...no mid-peak.
    PWs take over at 4pm and stop at 9pm (weekdays). PV recharges PW to start the day (until about 11a) and surplus PV not used for the house goes to the grid until 4pm. 100% of PV goes to the grid from 4p till sundown.
  • It just occurred to me. Sounds like one of your CTs (Current Transformers) is on the wrong wire.
  • > @gregbrew_98470014 said:
    > I'm not sure what your settings are, but mine works just as I expect.
    >
    > My settings are:
    >
    > Customize
    > Advanced
    > Cost Savings
    > 30% Reserve
    > Peak 3PM-12AM
    > Off Peak 12AM-3PM
    > Same for both Week and Weekend
    >
    > My system wakes up each dawn with 30% (or more) in the PWs and proceeds to power the house from the grid while the TEG sends PV to the PWs until they're full (around noon). PV then powers the house until 3PM, when the PWs take over, with all of the PV going to the grid until sundown. The PWs continue to power the house until they run down to 30%, or until midnight, whichever comes first. The PWs then shut down, and the house runs on the grid until dawn.
    >
    > Hope this helps.

Much appreciated. I'm with PG&E here in NoCal and my settings were identical to you. I put it just at back up for a bit but will try again as you suggested and if I still see what I saw before I posted, I'll call Tesla support.
  • Tesla fixed it with a phone call, something about a "meter wiring issue," which turned out to be a software issue. She confirmed I was dumping both batteries into the grid at max output once peak pricing started at 4 p.m. :( I don't get how that was possible since California doesn't allow residential battery systems to send power into the grid in the first place. I'm just glad its fixed.

Thanks folks for the help!
  • Hi

What is the model and ac output of your Inverter? just to want know which inverter Tesla installing for 8.16kw system
  • Yup. Probably one of the CTs was mis-installed, but they can often change it in software, by changing a sign or re-assigning an input to a different register. Well-designed software can do this kind of stuff.
  • Sany, I have Sunpower panels and each has its own microinverter rather than a string inverter.