Energy Products

iOS, macOS or web access to Delta inverter?

I am getting far less peak output and production than I should be from my solar roof, and I want to sanity check what the Tesla app is reporting against the direct diagnostic data from the inverters. I have an M4-TL-US and M8-TL-US Delta inverter, and these apparently only have a BLE interface by default, and there exists only an Android "M Series App" that can interface with it. Delta's MyDeltaSolar iOS app can only interact with these inverters if they have the optional communication module for Wifi / Ethernet. Anyone else without an Android device figure out a way to talk to these Delta inverters?

Comments

• I have Delta inverters, Solivia 5.2TL. It appears there are two designs - ones with Bluetooth and ones with a mesh network. Tesla uses the mesh network to communicate with the gateway. The delta website talks more about the Bluetooth version, but I'm about 99% sure on mine there is no Bluetooth in the Tesla installed versions - which means no app will work. Mine does have a display panel so I'm able to get some basic info that way. On mine it didn't look like you could add Bluetooth either - I think it's one or the other, not both.
  • The manual for the Delta M Series inverters definitely talks about an Android app being used to configure the devices through BLE. I also was able to find a general BLE probe app for iOS that showed my inverters broadcasting some kind of information.

I really don't know what you mean specifically by "mesh network" in this context. These inverters have to be configured somehow on installation, right? How does the installer do it? Rather stunning if Delta forces the use of an Android device to do so.
  • I just looked at the TL datasheet, and here is one key:

"Easy to understand charts and reports can be displayed at the touch of a button, and displays of the user’s site photos,
    local weather and site data are also provided. You can monitor your PV system continuously from anywhere you have internet access with the SOLIVIA M1 G2 Gateway (optional).."

Tesla has its own gateway, so I don't see any way to get that connection or use the Delta software. I also ran my Bluetooth scanner and didn't pick up anything from the inverters.

The M series could be different. I didn't find a datasheet for that series.
  • Delta's web site and inverter documentation are sadly out of date and flat wrong. I contacted their tech support and was pointed to an iOS app from them called "M Professional." It was able to immediately access the inverters through BLE (with a strong emphasis on the L -- because of the location of the inverters inside my house, I pretty much have to be right next to them to get the app to work). Bottom line, Tesla's app is reporting consistent numbers with what the inverters are directly reporting. That's generally good news, but eliminates a source of software error hope in my case. My PV output is simply way too low for the design. I'm getting at best 60-70% peak output of the specified design, even on a perfect clear day. And even Tesla tech support said they expect systems to get between 5x-7x production (where x is the kW spec size) per day. For example, they expect a 10kW system to produce 50-70 kWh per day. I'm getting at best 3x -- and still trying to convince Tesla it's because their design shows my roofs facing east/west when they actually face northeast/southwest.
  • For comparison. I have SunPower panels - 10 kW system on a WSW orientation (225 degrees) located in SF Bay Area (Napa). Average summer production is about 62 kWHrs. Absolute peak is 70 and that happens only one or two days per year. 6x appears to be a good target for average summer production in my area.
  • I have a 10.46613 kW system and the absolute best I've seen so far on a perfect day was 43 kWh. But more typically I've been seeing in the low 30s. About half my solar roof tiles face northeast and the other half face southwest (despite my design document claiming half face east and other half face west). So I've got a slightly larger system than yours with typically less than half the production -- but Tesla still saying it's performing as "designed." Baloney.
  • Why on earth did they design and implement a NE segment ? If you assume the SW portion (similar orientation to mine) is 5.2 kW and do the 6x estimate - that segment theoretically produces about 30 kWHrs. If you assume the NE version is essentially shaded or at best minimally producing most of the day...do a 3x on that and you get 15 kWHrs. Seat of the pants from that says your average summer production would be 45 kWHrs. If the NE segment is even more disadvantaged...maybe 2x.
    Then you come down to lowest common denominator in the string design - if they combined NE and SW segments - the NE segments negatively impact the SW segments. Are they on separate inverters ?
  • Well, to some degree, they didn't have much choice -- my roof and orientation of the house is what it is. They covered every inch of my upper roof that they could. But they claimed a 10.46613 kW system based on facing east and west, which is clearly nonsense, as I tried to tell them multiple times. One section of my lower roof has PV on only one half: the northeast side over the southwest side, and that's just stupid. And my detached garage's roof is at angle to the house and its sloped roof *does* point due east and west. But that roof has no PV at all, just decorative tile. Again stupid. Yes, there are limitations given the way my house is oriented -- but their design choices and claims of the output are clearly flawed. They also way undersized me for Powerwalls. This install has been a nightmare from start to finish -- they are two months past deadline to finish and counting.
  • Produced barely over 2x today -- a measly 23.6 kWh. Peak output of 5.2 kW. It was somewhat overcast in the late afternoon but was pretty clear otherwise. Clearly something rotten in the state of Denmark.
  • Just as an FYI. My solar production has been about two-thirds of normal lately because of the smoke from the CA fires, and ash on the panels. I'm in Huntington Beach...far from any of the fires, but am still severely impacted.
  • @BLD - You are getting about the same power as my roof. It's rated at 10.8 kW, and on a great summer day, I'll get about 45 kW/h for the day. I have a solar roof, which is different, and distributed on all four sides of the compass due to some shading issues from trees and a two-story house next to me. It is about 4 times the power of my prior solar panel system (not Tesla, 11 panels, 3 kW), so I'm happy. I can't say if you should be expecting more or not. Without a south-facing side, that may be all you can expect. For me, only 1/4-1/3 of my system is South facing- just not enough roof in that direction. North direction is smaller but generates more power than I expected. Perhaps the wavy glass cover on the panels helps capture more light.

Lately, my daily is in the low 30s due to smoke, but today is awful. Peak power was about 65 W (yes, watts). Looks like I'm living on mars - dark and orange. I got more power on a rainy day!
  • You're actually doing magnificent compared to me. Max output at any given time (read directly from the inverters) has been 140w. From a 10,100 watt system. Total output for 8 hours has been 0.9 kWHrs. I normally get more during a thunderstorm.
  • I'm in the SF Bay Area also with a solar roof. During today's Martian climate, I got ZERO kWh. Half of my PV faces northeast, the other half southwest. I handed Tesla my utility bills and additional load requirements and made clear I wanted to be off-grid. They came back with what they claimed was a 10.46613 kW system that would generate 52-73 kWh per day and 27 kWh of storage. The system currently is wholly inadequate for the requirements they were given.
  • I’m in Maryland. I have the Delta M10. I downloaded the app (iOS) M Tool on the App Store. Developer name is Jiang Tao Yan. I connect to my inverter by Bluetooth. (I saw the installers standing close to it). You will need the “date code” from your inverter to connect to it. Should be 4 digits. Hope this helps
  • BLD, In my contract, Tesla (Solar City, really) guaranteed *annual* production. Nothing about daily, or monthly numbers. Does your contract really state daily production numbers, are you going by what somebody *told* you, or are you taking annual production and dividing by 365?

There are many environmental variables to production, including clouds, humidity, dust, smoke, ash, etc. These are just in the air, and don't include panel cleanliness (which can be effected by many of the above), and vary significantly as the seasons change over a year. This is why the production guarantee is an annual thing. In fact, mine specifies that production deficits are calculated over a rolling *24 month* period, before any compensation for under-production is even considered.

Read your contract carefully. If something is not there, Tesla typically cannot be held to account for it, and you may have to wait two years before you can claim recompense.