Energy Products

Direct local lan access to Tesla gateway?

I am aware of the very limited web portal provided by the TEG on my local lan. It doesn't have any of the reporting features of the iOS /Android app -- and is unable to make configuration changes. Has anyone heard plans to make this local web portal fully functional? Is there a way to get the mobile app to interact on a local lan? I find it crazy that I can't configure my system without general Internet access through Tesla's servers.

Comments

• What's worse, is that in a grid emergency, your home network will probably go down, too. At least the TEG's WAP will still let you know if your system is functioning properly.
  • Why would I lose my home network if I still have power from my panels or batteries?
  • If my infrastructure goes to sh*t (which it has and likely will again, thus the huge investment in this system), and I have no utility power, internet or cellular service (again, has happened and will again), I should still be able to locally configure my TEG as long as I have panel or battery power. Having remote access through Tesla's servers be the ONLY way to change things is absurd. I see that the local lan desktop site does have an installer login -- but I don't have that password. And I'm nor arguing for that kind of access either -- I'm only saying I should be able to do everything the Tesla app can do directly on site, if necessary.
  • Oh, by "home network" you thought I meant general Internet access. No, I meant just my local network. I fully expect my ISP to go bye bye when the grid goes down too. And cellular sometimes goes out as well. In my area, even 911 radio service has been known to be taken out (the radio towers interact with a fiber connection going over a mountain range to the non-local dispatch center). Lots of single points of failure -- this is why I need the ability to go it alone as much as possible sometimes.
  • And no, I don't live in Afghanistan. I live in a well populated coastal area in the San Francisco Bay Area -- and the infrastructure is just laughable. I wish I could send my local politicians the bill for this system.
  • For comparison - also live in the SF Bay Area (Napa). Have lived thru the hell of no utilities prior to my PowerWalls. 1 year experience...
    21 events totally 64 hours. Longest one was 31 hours during the fires last year. Home network and everything inside the house didn't;t even know the grid had gone away. Outside services lasted for about 24 hours. Every cell tower within 30 miles was either burned, battery depleted or otherwise taken out of service about 18 hours in. Cable and internet services (both Comcast and AT&T) lasted about 24 hours before they crashed and burned. Lights stayed on but the rest of the world disappeared by the end of 24 hours. I could still see my PowerWalls via my home network and was able to continue to monitor them thru-out the ordeal.
  • But had you decided that you wanted to switch from "Backup only" to "Self powered" or some other configuration change while access to the outside world was gone, you would not have been able to. I don't care if I have to hit Tesla's servers for historical data, but I should not need to send any data off my home network in order to configure my setup. The desktop web local lan UI needs to be as capable as the mobile app. I *think* it may be possible to use the direct APIs to do something -- but what a pain. https://github.com/vloschiavo/powerwall2
  • I had full access *AND CONTROL* the entire time. During the fires last October - I was producing more than I was using, so control of my cars for charging (to bleed off some extra storage space) was useful. During an outage - there are no useful configuration changes you would want to make. You are simply monitoring your production, consumption and storage. Management at that point is realistically limited to turning stuff on or off in the house in terms of consumption.
  • How did you control your system (say switching Customization from Self-Powered to Backup-Only as I said) if your mobile app had no way of reaching Tesla's servers through the Internet (either your ISP or your cellular carrier) and Tesla's servers had no way of reaching your gateway? And during a true Internet outage, you can't use the mobile app to even monitor your system either -- the app requires a round trip through Tesla's servers to do *anything*. You can still monitor through their desktop web site on your local lan, but that's it -- and that monitoring is very coarse compared to what the app shows you.

Except for analytics and access to historical data for the gateways/inverters stored on Tesla's servers, we should not need to be able to reach their remote servers to monitor or control our systems.
  • The connectivity to controller is enabled triple redundant. WiFi, cellular and ethernet. I have all three installed and active. Based on that redundancy, I was able to communicate and monitor using my iPhone and the IOS app. I did not do a direct connect from my desktop to the gateway, though I could have. Cell towers down - no cell service. Internet down and just my local wifi. Still saw the real time behavior and performance of my system. Based on losing all other connectivity, it was my only entertainment (other than my wife continually demanding that I go into the attic to get suitcases and load up the truck to evacuate) for a fair segment of the outage duration. The grid came back without cell service and without internet. Still able to monitor via IOS device. I really had no reason to get any of the server data, so no idea what that might have looked like - I only cared about the "what's my status right now" view. Never lost that.
  • Sorry, no. The Tesla app specifically complained to "Check Internet Connection" when the phone was on my local private network but could not reach the general Internet. It lets you see data the last time it synced with the gateway, but it doesn't update anything and eventually complains about network timeouts. As I feared, the only access to the TEG when the Internet is out completely (including cellular) is through the very limited desktop web UI and possibly the direct REST APIs.
  • Sorry, I misspoke. I meant to say "...in a grid emergency, your home network's *connection to Tesla's servers* will probably go down, too."

That's been clarified by others with subsequent posts.

Yes, your only connection to system status during a grid-down situation might be through the TEG's very limited WAP interface. So you must set up your PW configuration in such a way that both meets grid-up, and grid-down conditions, because you won't be able to change it once your Tesla server connection goes down.

Not good.

Tesla...are you listening? The TEG's WAP interface is inadequate.
  • For Gateway 2, open the box and take a picture of the label. It has two key numbers near the top - TPN and TSN.

You can get direct connectivity on a local network without the internet. You have to find the IP address - likely using your router's admin listing of connections. It will appear with a client name that is the TPN-TSN. Something like:

1118431-00-L-TGxxxxxxxxxxxx

For example, the router may identify it at an address http://192.168.1.101

Now in a browser, enter the address you found from your router.

You can then see the basic status, similar to the phone app. You can log in and get some more data, but it's not all that useful and you can't change the configuration. You use your Tesla account email address. For the serial (at least with Gateway 2) enter the last five characters from the serial number in from the Gateway label, TSN (Tesla Serial Number). Something like "00GFM".
  • Tesla should update the app to support a direct connection to the TEG's web interface when the internet is down.

The app should be updated to provide access to the installer functions.

The TEG's web interface should still be provided as a fallback - and provide the same functionality as the app.

Plus the web interface and app should provide the same numbers on the % of charge available (right now, they are different, since the app is not including 5% of the charge being held in reserve).

Also - note that connecting the TEG using a wired connection creates a small security risk to all devices on your local network - since the wired connection is accessible if someone opens the TEG, removes the TEG cover plate, and uses the ethernet cable to connect to your internal network (bypassing any firewall protection).