General

Electrocute America Shuts it Down.

You may not want to be driving an EV down I-95 today. Electrify America decided to close every station in bulk for "upgrades". This renders drivers completely stranded on this stretch of road. It is almost unbelievable, especially on this long holiday weekend.

https://twitter.com/Out_of_Spec/status/1302964220686934026

Comments

• You have got to be kidding me. Hanlon's Razor ("Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity") would apply here, but I'm having a hard time imagining the level of stupidity that would be required to explain this. That kinda leaves malice...
  • Wow!

I can only assume that they know their customer base and didn’t anticipate it being used this weekend, just like every weekend.
  • My guess is that it wasn't really a decision at all but more likely a reaction to a larger scale failure of their system, "upgrades" being the cover story.
  • Can you imagine the crap from the media if Tesla did this!
  • Now wait a minute... were any drivers actually stranded or is this just unfair reporting of the type typically aimed at Tesla?
  • edited September 8
    Except this is not your grandfather's "Labor Day" weekend with Covid-19 etc. And it will be the new per kWh pricing which should be interesting to see where EA lands on pricing vs. Tesla.

Most of the cars for EA's CCS fast DC charging are delivering in 2021. So not many people are using them yet. I'm typically alone when I use the EA chargers. The Porsche and Bolt guys being there one day was the exception.

https://imgur.com/u8poR6R

https://imgur.com/EP9pcN3
  • @FISHEV “ And it will be the new per kWh pricing”

You... you do realize it’s in the past, right?
  • Five hour response time fishy. You're slowing down. What's the matter, did you have to find an open EA charger?

Still, I called it. I'll take the points. Although I must admit not really much of an explanation from the fishpert as to why they chose to shut them all down at once.
  • They have so few customers because they didn’t include the most used charging adapter in the USA.

It’s like they don’t want customers.
  • Ah, so they're planning ahead. I get it now.
  • edited September 8
    I don’t think they actively don’t want customers, it’s just that the key performance metrics aren’t profit/market share/growth/etc., but rather satisfaction of a consent decree.

When you punish your kids by making them clean their rooms, they don’t do a good job.
  • They actively don't want customers. These stations are money losing sinkholes for at least 10 years. The more use they get, the more demand charges they accrue, the more money they lose. Shutting them down on the hottest weekend of the year during a holiday makes perfect sense. /s

Teslas don't need EA. Most cars can't get a fast charge out of them. Most of their stalls are max 50kW and there will be few non-Tesla cars delivered in the USA for at least 24 months that can take advantage of 150kW let alone 300kW.

It's a joke, but doesn't have to be.
  • Smells like a buyout but who would be the buyer?
  • Buyer will be politically well connected. Bet on it.
  • > @M-A-B-MCMLXXX said:
    > You... you do realize it’s in the past, right?

Such drama!!

You do realize Labor was yesterday? OMG!!!!

You do realize it was just chargers in a 400 miles in VA-NC!!!!

You do realize once the updates were done they were working!!!!

It is ironic that Musk claimed he started Tesla to promote EV’s yet the Tesla fanbois fear and loath other EV’s or other EV fast DC charging as they think it is a threat to their being “special”.
  • edited September 8
    > @FISHEV said:
    > Except this is not your grandfather's "Labor Day" weekend with Covid-19 etc. And it will be the new per kWh pricing

> > @M-A-B-MCMLXXX said:
    > > You... you do realize it’s in the past, right?
    > You do realize Labor was yesterday? OMG!!!!

Yah, I sure do. That puts us in a position to verify.

So, did EA charge per kWh rather than per minute over labor day weekend as you said it would? Their website suggests you were wrong, but maybe they just forgot to update it. https://www.electrifyamerica.com/pricing/
  • > @FISHEV said:
    >Tesla fanbois fear and loath other EV’s or other EV fast DC charging
    >

I think you're more wrong here than normal. You'd be hard pressed to find a significant number of tesla drivers who don't think it would be wise and good for EA to add tesla connectors.
  • > @M-A-B-MCMLXXX said: You'd be hard pressed to find a significant number of tesla drivers who don't think it would be wise and good for EA to add tesla connectors."

We do see a lot of Tesla owners request the CCS adapter, the US/EU standard fast DC charging plug, so the Tesla owners can utilize the 7,000 EVgo/EA/Blink etc. chargers all over the US.

But to this topic, a wildly exaggerated self promotion by a YouTuber. Had he looked later, he would not have seen the down for upgrade signs as they were only down while updating and only in one small geographic region known as being low EV population.
  • @FISHEV ” We do see a lot of Tesla owners request the CCS adapter, the US/EU standard fast DC charging plug, so the Tesla owners can utilize the 7,000 EVgo/EA/Blink etc. chargers all over the US.”

Yes and as discussed here ad nauseam, doing so at the vehicle inlet violates the IEC standard for CCS. Adapters at the EVSE side are permissible. Whether an adapter within the station or full new plumbing, it would be wise for EA to roll that out.
  • > @M-A-B-MCMLXXX said: it would be wise for EA to roll that out.

And EA, EVgo et al are rolling out the CCS fast DC charging stations very fast. EA only has Phase II to go, remote locations like OR NW coast area, WA SW coast area etc.

Most recent EA charger to go in is 50 miles from the coast so that works for Taycan, Kona, Niro, new Leafs, e-Trons, MachE, VW, EV's with 250 mile plus range.

https://forums.tesla.com/discussion/174692/gm-and-evgo-partner-to-add-2-700-new-fast-chargers-over-the-next-five-years