Model 3

Regenerative breaking - cars behind not aware

I’ve had my parents tell me after driving my Model 3 that they’ve had cars behind them swerving to avoid crashing into them when they let off the “gas pedal”. I have my regenerative breaking on and yes it does slow down considerably almost as if you are using your breaks.

Never noticed this to be a problem for me but curious if other Tesla drivers have similar experience as my parents. If this is a serious safety issue, having the break lights go on when regenerative breaking would be a solution.

Comments

• The brake lights do go on when using regenerative braking. You can see it in the screen.
  • They do go on… The people who are swerving behind your parents were following too close and not paying attention.
  • Either that, or another thought, are your parents used to driving your model 3? If not, they may be triggering the regen brakes in unexpected ways that people behind don’t expect.
  • It should be putting on the brake lights when regen is sufficient to mimic braking. Having been in back of another Tesla, it's a bit too sensitive and flashes a lot. Other drivers all think it is directed at them which is another issue.
  • Brake lights will flash a lot especially if someone doesn’t know how to feather their regen braking properly, if they are constantly
    taking their foot off the accelerator too quickly. Learning how to judge distance relative to regen braking strength is an aquited skill.
  • If you’re really gentle on the regen, you can decelerate without activating the lights. If it’s really an issue for them, maybe you should observe their driving habits.
  • > @Bighorn said:
    > If you’re really gentle on the regen, you can decelerate without activating the lights. If it’s really an issue for them, maybe you should observe their driving habits.

I don't see that as an issue. Gentle regen leads to gentle deceleration.

Double-clutch, and down shifting. slows my old BMW down very quickly without any brake lights.
  • The brake lights are a function of deceleration. They illuminate when needed.
  • Your parents need to learn to let off the accelerator in the same way they would ease off the brake pedal in a conventional vehicle.
  • Uniform provisions concerning the approval of passenger cars with regard to braking
    http://www.unece.org/fileadmin/DAM/trans/main/wp29/wp29regs/R13hr2e.pdf
    See section 5.2.22.4.
  • Correction:
    > @TranzNDance said:
    > Your parents need to learn to let off the accelerator gradually in the same way they would gradually press down on the brake pedal in a conventional vehicle, if they intended to slow down gradually and to avoid getting rear ended.
  • If they are truly concerned, assuming they are not going on a trip, just turn off the regen when they borrow the car.
  • > @mrburke said:
    > > @Bighorn said:
    > > If you’re really gentle on the regen, you can decelerate without activating the lights. If it’s really an issue for them, maybe you should observe their driving habits.
    >
    > I don't see that as an issue. Gentle regen leads to gentle deceleration.
    >
    > Double-clutch, and down shifting. slows my old BMW down very quickly without any brake lights.
    >
    >
    It was brought to my attention by my wife who was following me who felt it was dangerous. Any time you decelerate with someone following you, there’s a risk they may not notice you slowing in the absence of brake lights and
    risk rear ending you. I understand the corollary with manual transmissions.
  • When I first got my M3 I was concerned about what the brake lights did so I paid close attention to the brake indicators on the display. I found it closely mimicked my braking habits.

NJ is full of tailgaters and no one is giving me the bird. Mostly people get upset that AP follows at a safe distance and cant stand the gap in front of me even though i am speed matched. I run at a 4 spacing.
  • If you have any doubts you can check on a lonely road where is something reflective - like road signs, markers.
    Take foot off accelerator and you will see reflection from your brake lights in mirror
  • I’ve heard of far more people irritated by too frequently illuminated brake lights and assertions of brake checking.
  • > @Bighorn said:
    > I’ve heard of far more people irritated by too frequently illuminated brake lights and assertions of brake checking.

That's true. People used to drive with ICE often drive like "coasting".
    In EV there isn't such a thing, so some EV "pilots" from behind looks like brake pumping jerks.
  • Great that the comments seem equally plot between “no brake lights” and “too sensitive brake lights”.

When you slow down above a certain acceleration they come on. Do that often, they come on often. Do that rarely, they come on rarely.
  • @jallred
    I mentioned both because it could be either depending on driving behavior.
  • I do feel that those coming from manual transmission tend to have better fine pedal control than those that are used to Automatic. I had conducted some experiments and as mentioned it is not directly related to regen exclusively. If your foot is still on the accelerator, but reduce the pressure, the car will start to slow, but not necessarily show lights.

Releasing the pedal completely does show the lights, but also will some value where there is a greater than x deceleration (the value of x is unknown to me).
  • When Brake lights illuminate is not something Tesla is arbitrarily pulling out of their arse.
  • It’s based on an accelerometer threshold and there are circumstances where brake lights won’t illuminate when you’re fully off the accelerator. It’s not a common situation.
  • > @lisa5289_98745630 said:
    > I’ve had my parents tell me after driving my Model 3 that they’ve had cars behind them swerving to avoid crashing into them when they let off the “gas pedal”. I have my regenerative breaking on and yes it does slow down considerably almost as if you are using your breaks.
    >
    > Never noticed this to be a problem for me but curious if other Tesla drivers have similar experience as my parents. If this is a serious safety issue, having the break lights go on when regenerative breaking would be a solution.

Just change the regen option to LOW when they are using the car.
  • > @calvin940 said:

> Releasing the pedal completely does show the lights, but also will some value where there is a greater than x deceleration (the value of x is unknown to me).

As Bighorn says - light illumination is based on deceleration.
    I haven't checked really well, but I am quite certain - if car have some speed (more than 10 kmph) and SOC is below 90 %, every time you release "gas" pedal, you will get brake lights on.