Model Y

Charging Y using 14-50 plug

I had my Y for 1 week now and use the 14-50 wall mount every night and I have yet to get 30 MPH charging. Every night it maxes at 29 MPH. Not a big deal at all, but I wonder why. Any thoughts on this?

Comments

• There is a setting in the car to change the Amps, assuming your circuit is capable of doing 40A the car may still be set to 32A? That’s just a guess on my part as I don’t have my Y yet and am unfamiliar with the MPH numbers.

Also- if you set it to 40 it can still be dropped to a lower rate due to other circumstances. I know mine does this during the summer for some reason, I just leave it lower.
  • that about what you get. 30 with a 3 and 28-29 with Y. When I plug to a 6-20 i get 20 on the 3 and 13 on the Y. I take it its like the difference also with the X and S not charging the same rate
  • correction on the nema 6-20 i get 15 on the 3 and 13 with the Y
  • I would not worry about 1 mile. Might be related to your wiring, or some other component that system recognizes and accounts for. How old is your house? Ours was build in 2020, not sure if that matters but we are definitely getting slightly better charing rate than Tesla documentation states.
  • I have a 14-50 outlet on a 50 amp breaker in my garage.

The mobile charger that came with my model Y maxed out at 32 amps when using a 14-50 adapter. Equates to 29 miles per hour.

I also have the 14-50 corded charger (with an unremovable 14-50 plug). It maxes out at 40 amps. Equates to 36 miles per hour.

I notice the cord on the unremovable plug version is quite a bit heaver than the cord on mobile charger that came with the car. Guessing that is why it can handle 40 vs 32 amps.
  • I'm fairly certain the mobile chargers limit of 32 amps is due to the wire gage in the cord. Wall chargers wires are definitely thicker to handle higher amperage
  • > @stacok_98279004 said:
    > I'm fairly certain the mobile chargers limit of 32 amps is due to the wire gage in the cord. Wall chargers wires are definitely thicker to handle higher amperage

This!

The connectors that came with earlier S models were much thicker and would let you go up to 40A. I bought the wall connector that plugs into the 14-50 plug and forgot to mention that minor detail.

If you use your UMC to connect there is a 32A limit from what I remember.
  • > @Timmyc said:
    > I had my Y for 1 week now and use the 14-50 wall mount every night and I have yet to get 30 MPH charging. Every night it maxes at 29 MPH. Not a big deal at all, but I wonder why. Any thoughts on this?

now if you look at Tesla's website for home charging it shows the Y at 29 MPH charge with NEMA 14-50
  • Yea I noticed that the Y charges a little less MPH then the 3 not sure why as I thought mostly all the same?
  • must be the 30% difference. I know the charge point is slightly different. Much tighter when plugging in than the 3