Model Y

10-14 Week Delivery Schedule

Has anyone noticed that the MY delivery schedule is now 10-14 weeks. Any thoughts? Line stoppage? Battery day announcements? Building LR RWD orders?

Comments

• yikes, maybe it will go back down tomorrow
  • 9/22 will be BIG. Model S and X refresh, I hope new battery tech will go into all the cars (maybe X&S will finally get the new 2170), Model Y will probably gain LR RWD and 3rd row option. Maybe few additional refinements are in play too such as Air suspension for Model Y and Model 3.
  • Only the MY has the 10-14 week delivery. M3, MX, and MS are 2-4 weeks. Something special is happening with the MY production line. With quarter end only 3 weeks away, the plot only thickens.
  • Yes I ordered the Y last week and I was told by the Tesla employee 2-4 weeks and now I see its 10-14 weeks. He actually said she would bet i would have it by the end of September since it is the end of the quarter. Honestly that is going to hurt my trade in. I will have a lot more miles on my trade in now. Wonder what the issue is.
  • I was told by my “advisor” that they will be switching to production of European vehicles in October and cars ordered then wouldn’t be delivered until December.
  • Interesting I am just about to put in my Y order and yikes now I see the longer wait time.

I did check the 3 and it still says 2-3 week so seems just the Y has really increased.
  • I went to the dealership yesterday to test drive and the day before it was 2-4 weeks. When I was there he said I missed the quarterly cutoff that day and should look at current stock. When I got home the site showed the 10-14 weeks. I ended up still ordering because I wanted things they didn't have in current inventory.
  • I’m wondering if this has to do with it. Looks like an additional machine is being put into place and they might have shutdown the model Y production line.

https://electrek.co/2020/09/09/tesla-deploying-second-giga-press-machine-fremont-factory/
  • Interesting but the new equip is outside so don't see why production inside would be affected.
  • Maybe Tesla is taking a Model Y “time out” to implement the new casting. machines and to address their build quality issues. Maybe they are getting tired of being beat up on their delivery issues given the new competition coming to the market.
  • Hmm, I wonder if someone accidentally pulled the trigger on S & X early. I even took a screenshot showing 10-14 weeks. Maybe a mistake or tell tale of what is coming on 9/22.
  • So now I see both the X and S have been updated from 2-4 weeks to 8-12 weeks. Now remember that was in the past hour. I still see the 3 is at 2-4 weeks but could be next to be updated.

So now I wonder is it battery day, tech change, European vehicle production, price change on the horizon?

The age old question to order now or wait.

I am not in dire need of the car at this exact moment but I do want to take delivery before NJ decides to raid the $5000 EV credit fund and take it away.
  • Understand because I have a similar issue in California. However, I don’t think i would be so quick to take a Model Y delivery until the issue is understood. You might just be taking a beta production version.
  • > @007bondMI6 said:
    > So now I see both the X and S have been updated from 2-4 weeks to 8-12 weeks. Now remember that was in the past hour. I still see the 3 is at 2-4 weeks but could be next to be updated.
    >
    > So now I wonder is it battery day, tech change, European vehicle production, price change on the horizon?
    >
    > The age old question to order now or wait.
    >
    > I am not in dire need of the car at this exact moment but I do want to take delivery before NJ decides to raid the $5000 EV credit fund and take it away.

I’m in the same boat with the NJ credit. The guy at Springfield told me I would be looking at the end of October. When I checked back on the site today it showed 7-11 weeks.
  • Not sure where you all live, but I ordered my Y on 7/13 and picked it up on 7/17. It was much faster than I had anticipated. This was in Fremont.
  • That was then and now is now. Look at the website. It’s now 7-11 weeks. Guessing it will become clearer on battery day.
  • If you are in Fremont you are so close to the factory. The times we see are for the East coast and that's 2 weeks just for transport.

Agreed the times seem to be fluctuating.

Concern about waiting is price change due to new tech as we know all to well the prices and options change at random times so no telling that 12 more days will bring.
  • I don't know if this is the right place to post this but I have a real problem and I have been hoping I can get someone from Tesla to help me, since my efforts to date involving many hours and multiple calls has been fruitless and mind numbing. I am a long-term Tesla customer and enthusiast, having purchased two Teslas, a 2012 Model S Signature P85 and a 2016 Model X P 90 D. To date multiple members of my family have purchased Teslas based on my recommendations and additionally 4 friends have as well. I have also been a stockholder since the early days of the company.
    I currently have a reservation for a Model Y which has been in place for many months. While I live in Chicago, I have a second house in California and I wanted to pick up the car in California. Back in early August I indicated I would be in the Freemont area from September 11th to the 16th, and then traveling to Los Angeles and eventually to my house in Orange County a week later. I had requested to be able to pick it up at the factory in Freemont. It took almost two weeks for Tesla to resolve how to do this. To date I only get automated texts saying the delivery date is weeks away. While I know where I will be on a specific date, since I don't know when the car will be available, I can't tell them where to deliver it. My choice would be in Freemont on or before the 16th. However if that does not work, I am not flying to Northern California to get the car when I am in Southern California, nor am I driving to LA if I am in Orange County. I try to explain this to multiple Tesla sales people who 1) continually want to send the car to Chicago since my account is registered there, 2) have no idea what I am talking about and say a supervisor will call me and never does, 3) get an answering machine where nobody returns messages or 4) tell me that this is the way Tesla does business to maximize productivity and efficiency so live with it. I am not sure this is the way to treat a long-time customer, who has directly spent almost a quarter of a million dollars on their product, influenced at least twice that much in purchases, and frankly is very frustrated. It truly seems like Tesla does not care and has a very take it or leave it attitude. I know it has been 4 years since I bought my X, but boy has the attitude toward serving and meeting the customer's needs changed, and not for the better. They are not only bigger than GM, they have become GM! I have hesitated to write this out, hoping someone from Tesla could help me out and actually care what a customer thinks. I am now having second thoughts about moving forward with this car. Anyone have any suggestions?
  • Would it help to change your account registration to reflect the address in California? At least then the Freemont pickup may be an option. Good luck with getting the car.
  • I have that straightened out but now Tesla called and offered a M/Y with 800 miles and a tow hitch which I did not order. At first there was a discount, but they called back and said that because the configuration was different than my original configuration, they have to increase my price by over $2,200 due to the price increase in the full self driving. This is crazy. Paying more for a used car that is basically the same is nuts. They are so inflexible! Might need to pass on it all.
  • Anyone notice that over the last 3 days it has gone from 10-14 weeks to 7-11 weeks to 6-10 weeks now? Not that I am complaining, but lately with COVID days feel like weeks. At this rate we will be right back to 2-4 weeks by next week.
  • > @ruprecht111_7372 said:
    > I have that straightened out but now Tesla called and offered a M/Y with 800 miles and a tow hitch which I did not order. At first there was a discount, but they called back and said that because the configuration was different than my original configuration, they have to increase my price by over $2,200 due to the price increase in the full self driving. This is crazy. Paying more for a used car that is basically the same is nuts. They are so inflexible! Might need to pass on it all.

Why not wait after 9/22 then just have it delivered where you are instead of flying to pick it up so you have to drive it back? Yeah End of Quarter is always crazy at Tesla.
  • > @jmallit said:
    > Anyone notice that over the last 3 days it has gone from 10-14 weeks to 7-11 weeks to 6-10 weeks now? Not that I am complaining, but lately with COVID days feel like weeks. At this rate we will be right back to 2-4 weeks by next week.

Maybe ramp up using new press is going better than expected. Who knows, when I ordered our Model Y, website had 6-8 weeks and we got our car in 2 weeks shipping to St Augustine FL. So you just never know. Granted we ordered White AWD which is by far the most popular trim.
  • Well today I see 5-9 weeks and thats been there a few days now. I have not ordered yet still on the fence if I should wait till after battery day in case there is something of interest to the Y happening.

Also it is end of the third Q so they are going crazy to make as many cars as they can to close the Q. I am in no rush I can wait I don't want a car assembled as fast as they could to make numbers.

My only real concern was losing the 5K NJ rebate and that seems to be holding for now.

Once concern is if the prices goes up after battery day so wife says order now if something changes cancel and put in a new order for whatever changes if it is better. I think in that case you lose the deposit not sure.

Thing is I am in no real rush to get the Y we have our 3 and both working at home at this point. Like I mentioned only issue is I don't want to lose out on the 5K rebate.