Model Y

Model Y Roof Rack Noise

I purchased the roof racks for my model Y from Tesla and they produce a lot of wind noise 60mph+. I have installed a noise reduction kit from RPM (rubber tube), taped gaps at front posts and re-installed several times for proper fit. It's not me. ;-). It's the racks or roof but I cannot tell where the noise is coming from.

I know racks can cause some noise at speed as I have had racks with my last 5 cars but nothing like this.

Anyone else have the same issue?

Comments

• I installed Tesla Roof Racks on my Model Y (it was an easy task) and have had no noticeable wind noise. I'm very sensitive to road and wind noise at highway speeds. My 2018 Rav4 LE Hybrid was just too loud for me at speed so I traded it for the Model Y, which is much better. It's 3 to 5dB quieter (which is a lot) on the same highways as measured by the SPLnFFT phone app. That app would quantify the wind noise you hear but not help determine where its coming from.
  • here too, NO noticeable noise from roof racks. Advice: never ever cut the rubber gasket in the t-slot.
  • > @kholberger_98740747 said:
    > I installed Tesla Roof Racks on my Model Y (it was an easy task) and have had no noticeable wind noise. I'm very sensitive to road and wind noise at highway speeds. My 2018 Rav4 LE Hybrid was just too loud for me at speed so I traded it for the Model Y, which is much better. It's 3 to 5dB quieter (which is a lot) on the same highways as measured by the SPLnFFT phone app. That app would quantify the wind noise you hear but not help determine where its coming from.

Happy to hear its good for you but unfortunately the noise is just unbearable for me at this point. ugh...
  • > @Tecumseh said:
    > here too, NO noticeable noise from roof racks. Advice: never ever cut the rubber gasket in the t-slot.

lol. did you cut it ?
  • Had the roof rack for a couple weeks now. Very minimal noise. Even added Yakima HighSpeed Bike Mount and surf pads. Still sounds ok. Very impressed with it.