Model X

Conditioning The Battery

With Battery Day coming up I thought I’d pose a question about battery maintenance.

This is more of a Tesla question more than Model X but what are the specific recommendations associated with “conditioning” the battery for receiving a charge or starting a drive? Reading through my Model X Owner’s Manual I could only find references to conditioning the battery in particularly cold environments with only brief mentions about conditioning for other purposes such as warm environments or creating the ideal temps for the battery in general.

I definitely could use some backup on the manual’s information AND since I am still waiting to take delivery, I need experienced drivers’ or technicians’ advice. Do the vehicles show you your battery temp and what the ideal limit-temps would be? It would be nice to know when conditioning is NOT optional before a drive or a charge. It would be especially nice to know the specific temperature ranges that are optimal for the battery, besides -22 to 140 F because I KNOW there has got to be a more optimal range to be in for better battery health or performance.

Comments

• It does not show you the battery temp, and it's really not a concern. I just get in and drive. I never worry about temps as Tesla handles doing whatever is needed (2 Tesla's over 7+ years).

Now if you are in cold weather, regen will be limited until the battery warms up. There are ways to reduce this, such as having a heated garage, warming the car before leaving, or having the charging stop near when you plan to leave. All this is really just optional stuff and does not affect battery longevity or power. I think you'll find once you get the car - it's not something to worry about.
  • Thanks, TT, I think I am just looking for the option to really see the inner functions of the car. I guess we'll have to wait for Mr. Musk to unlock a "pro version" for folks who want to go the extra mile to play with every aspect of the vehicle.
  • There are ways to interconnect an ODB Bluetooth monitor into CAN bus 3, and with an app, see the details. The in-car ODB connector is worthless. You have to wire into the diagnostic port, which is not difficult. There are companies that make plug-in adapters too. Then you use app software like "Scan My Tesla" to view battery module temperatures, coolant temperatures, and a bunch more of car's inner details. I should write up an article on the whole process as I've done it myself a while back. Maybe next week!