Model Y

Vibration at 70+ mph

Anyone experiencing vibration when you get over 68-70 mph? I just picked our car up and the car is amazing but the unstable feeling at speeds over 68-70mph is making me think about returning it. (Yes I had the wheels road balanced by a professional)

Comments

• I meant “road force” balanced
  • Did it vibrate Before the “professional” played with the tires? No issue for me at 100
  • So, you are considering returning the car, because a front end vibration, without having Tesla look at it first........? Well, good luck with that.
  • It could be the lane departure warning. I was having the same problem but discovered that the vibrations occur when I switched lanes without signaling. Check your settings.
  • @yelobird_98747025 yes, that’s the reason it was taken to a professional. @jordanrichard_629778 Tesla doesn’t have a SC in our area and the Charlotte rep told me to take it to the tire place and have the tires rebalanced. @rmrobinson06 we have lane departure warning disabled.

From reading threads on this forum, others have had issues with loose front louvres/bumpers/license plates that have required a foam-related fix. Others have had issues with the foam inside the tires that Tesla uses to dampen sound. Curious if anyone has experienced this in the new MY’s?
  • I picked up my MY last week and noticed the same problem between 70-80mph. I've service scheduled on the 16th...will update after the issue is fixed
  • > @Motozen said:
    > Anyone experiencing vibration when you get over 68-70 mph? I just picked our car up and the car is amazing but the unstable feeling at speeds over 68-70mph is making me think about returning it. (Yes I had the wheels road balanced by a professional)

Have you check the tie rod under your front tires to make sure the nut are actually there and fastened? Seems silly but others have reported the same problem to find out they are missing a nut which is extremely dangerous.
  • I did a few several mile runs at 75 and zero noise or vibration - just smooth as can be as was my X and before that my S.
  • Yep. Picked mine up Sunday, and that was the first thing I noticed at freeway speeds. Kept trying to convince myself it wasn’t real, but it is for sure.
  • "Tesla doesn’t have a SC in our area and the Charlotte rep told me to take it to the tire place and have the tires rebalanced", right but that doesn't address the notion of you actually considering giving the car back to Tesla over this.
  • Had mine up to71+ yesterday. Smooth and steady. I have a low VIN-9xxx so was concerned when I heard of bolt issue. Get checked out before you return the car. I would consider returning an action of last resort.
  • I'd say it was the Aero wheel covers but I don't think the Y comes with them like the 3. If it doesn't happen with the windows down then it's probably a sealing issue which is common among 3's since I always notice it whenever I'm in one especially when it's windy. Their fit and finish is not top notch but hey they are turning them out as fast as possible to make a profit and since they are the only game in town practically still (until Fisker etc come soon) they will continue to have some issues.
  • had the same issue, just came back from service.. they found my front passenger tire was very unbalanced...turns out it was a defective tire, and the foam on the inside was separated. they replaced the tire and now it drives perfectly.