Model 3

Locked Out of Car and Unable to Schedule Service Through App

I'm stuck at home. Can't unlock car with app or keycard. I assume 12 volt battery is dead for the third time this year. Plus Schedule Service app is not working. After I enter details in Select Service screen, I hit next and nothing happens. When I try calling the closest dealership, I can't actually get a person on the phone. Any ideas on how I can get my car fixed?

Comments

• Try calling roadside assistance and see if they have a suggestion. The number I have is 877-798-3752, might be for Colorado.
  • I just went through this exact issue (12V died without warning). Same problem with the app - when it cannot connect with your vehicle, there is no way to schedule service on the app! (In my case, I used the app to schedule service with the app pointing to our MY, and annotated with "this is for our Model 3, VIN 0013xx.) Got a call from service within a few minutes and got scheduled on Labor Day (originally told it would be after the holiday weekend, local service squeezed me in with a mobile service tech and updated me on the change).

Finally, I was shocked at the price of the 12V: $125 installed. Shocked at how cheap this is considering the service came to the house.
  • “ 12 volt battery is dead for the third time this year.”

What did you do the first 2 times?
  • Can you put the 12v battery on a trickle charger or use jumper cables or will that that mess up the car?
    On my other cars I always had a Battery Tender plug attached to the car battery so I could plug it in if the battery died or if I was going away. If the car is plugged into the 240v outlet will this also charge the car battery or just the traction battery?
  • > @Tesla2018 said:
    > Can you put the 12v battery on a trickle charger or use jumper cables or will that that mess up the car?
    > On my other cars I always had a Battery Tender plug attached to the car battery so I could plug it in if the battery died or if I was going away. If the car is plugged into the 240v outlet will this also charge the car battery or just the traction battery?

In theory, yes. But have you seen what you have to remove from the frunk to even get to the battery? And under normal circumstances, the HV battery through an inverter provides charging to the 12V battery, essentially an infinite trickle charger. That still won't prevent the eventual failure of the 12V.
  • I have no idea how to remove the frunk to get to the battery. But in my other car, the battery is in the trunk and has a plastic box that snaps in to cover it. I drilled a small hole in the box and used a grommet so that that the Battery Tender connector can fit through it. They I open the trunk and plug the connector plug from the Battery Tender into it.
    Depending on where the battery is in the Tesla, a hole could be drilled in the frunk after taking it out and the connections could be made to the battery and the other end with the plug that connects to the battery tender could be run through it and come out inside the frunk after it is reinstalled.
  • If you need a battery tender for a Tesla than you have a bad battery.
  • Or some other electric fault.
  • I have an ION Booster portable charger that I carry with me for just such an emergency.

Fortunately I haven't had to use it except I helped a dead Model S -- after charging the 12v for about 45-60 minutes, we got the car "started" and plugged in the Supercharger. Boom Model S alive & charging again.

Didn't cost $125 but I do admit that's pretty cheap for home service.
  • Roadside Assistance still worked on the app. A tow truck driver took the car to dealership on Sunday. Still waiting on Service Center to contact me.

Note that this is the first time that I was locked out of my car due to 12v battery issue. I got a warning light about the battery in May and mobile tech came out to fix. In June, car wouldn't start after supercharging at mall but battery had enough juice to lock/unlock and attempt a reboot. Towed to dealership. I think the September 5 update completely drained the battery this time.
  • I hope they figure out why you are going through batteries so quickly.
  • This should help with the 12V battery issues.

"Interestingly enough, Elon Musk completely agreed with the Tesla enthusiast’s request. The Tesla CEO added that major software improvements are set to be released for vehicles’ 12V batteries, which should allow them to last longer."

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-12v-battery-improvements-ota-update-elon-musk/

Good job Tesla.
  • "Teslas currently do not have a feature that notifies owners about the health of their cars’ 12V batteries." - article cited by Howard.

Please explain the "low 12 v battery - replace soon" on my Model S back in 2018.

Perhaps Tesla Model 3 and Y don't have that feature, but it's long been built into MS/MX.
  • rxlawdude, Why ask when you answered?