Cybertruck

We Ordered 2 Trucks 500 miles 2021 - Solar Power?

Does anyone know if the solar charging on the Trucks will be an option or standard?

Comments

• I think the answer is no, no one knows. I'm hoping it would be included, but I am thinking it won't be and won't be available initially either. I could be wrong though.
  • My current understanding is that it was not part of the initial unveiling. But two things have been floated by others and then no dismissed by Elon.
    1) Solar - It seems there is enough surface area on the CT to make this more than a gimmick
    2) Fold down mid-gate. I.e. the ability to roll down the back window, fold down the back seats and then fold down the "mid-gate" opening up the entire cabin to the vault. This would be great for hauling very long objects and would be great for camping. With the vault cover down the would create a lot of interior camping space.

Would love to see both of these options added. And of course the Cyber Quad. Pretty sure I would get all three options.
  • It was mentioned that the truck bed cover would also be a solar cover option. That does not mean that it will. I would be interested in it as well, but it completely depends power output and price for it. If it costs $10k for 10 miles of range per day on a sunny day, its not worth it to me.
  • Accessibility of the cab from the bed would be very useful. That gives one a full HVAC system in the camper for free.
  • The Cybertruck has no official mention on their site of having solar available for the first version at least. The Fisker Ocean SUV is the only EV that I know of that actually will have a solar roof (they say is will generate approximately 1000 miles per year).
  • Keep in mind that 1000 miles per year sounds like a large number, but thats an average of slightly more than 2.5 miles per day.

But you are correct there was no official mention. I think it was a tweet.
  • @bassbone1 "...is the only EV that I know of that actually will have a solar roof"

No one knows if it will "actually" have a solar roof until they start making them.
  • > @TabascoGuy said:
    > @bassbone1 "...is the only EV that I know of that actually will have a solar roof"
    >
    > No one knows if it will "actually" have a solar roof until they start making them.

Correct, but the Karma had one and prototype shows it on the Ocean and I believe information is on it in their FAQ section of their website too...so I'd have to think it will in fact have a solar roof. We will have to see how it all plays out though, yes, it's getting exciting out there in EV land.
  • Sure, they can show or say anything that they want on a prototype EV. The issue is if the solar roof panels actually do anything more than run the dome light for three minutes.

Don't get your hopes or excitement up quit yet.
  • I have a 7kw solar set up on my house. On a good day I can make 35 kW or ~20% of a 150 kW battery, my panels cover just over 450 ft^2 of space. If the using the roof area of my LX which is larger that the CT given the bed area, I’m estimating best case solar return will be ~1% per day. So like others have said pure gimmick.