Solar Panels

Rate my power panels

I have a medium size setup, 24 panels, 7.56kw, love in SoCal. No power wall. I live in a 2300sq home.

I can’t for the life of me figure out these spikes from midnight to 3/4am most days. Why would they last for so long then go out when the panels start to work again around 8am. Thoughts on my solar system by the looks of the energy usage. See next post for pics.

Comments

• > @MarkusGravy said:
    > I have a medium size setup, 24 panels, 7.56kw, love in SoCal. No power wall. I live in a 2300sq home.
    >
    > I can’t for the life of me figure out these spikes from midnight to 3/4am most days. Why would they last for so long then go out when the panels start to work again around 8am. Thoughts on my solar system by the looks of the energy usage. See next post for pics.
    >
  • See photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/J4Bjbp17MhTUdePC8
  • Are you charging a car ? That looks an awful lot like a charging event.
  • No EV vehicle. We're all asleep those hours. The only thing I can imagine is the water softener, but that only runs once or twice a week, and not that many hours. Can it be related to the solar panels?
  • Stating the obvious - solar panels require incident light, so - no - the events at night have nothing to do with the panels. You can also isolate the events by type...select and deselect what you want to see by touching the blue, yellow and white circles at the top.
    That long and consistently high consumption is pretty impressive and would not seem to be consistent with a circulation motor for a softener. It is more like resistance heating - if the water softener incidentally heats the water as part of the process, that would be the only explanation. I have no idea of how they cycle - maybe another member has more insight.
    Other than that consumption - your general patterns appear reasonable. The output timing and maximums of your panels suggest a pretty heavy cloud cover, marine layer or heavy smoke (or all of the above).
  • Thanks, Jones_lab_guy! Appreciate your knowledge and input.
  • Most home chargers for EVs take about 32A at 220-240V, which is strikingly similar to the 7kW you're seeing from about Midnight to 5AM. That's roughly 35kWh. I'm with Jones, that's pretty clearly an EV charging.

If you're seeing that consistently, it may be time to stay awake until that time interval, or until you see that massive flow on the app. Shut off your PWs, to see if your main panel e-meter is showing that amount of flow. I'll bet it's not. Another thing you can try, is to wait until you see the huge flow on the app, then connect (with another device would be best) directly to the TEG's WAP to see if it thinks there's a large flow leaving the PWs. Again...I'll be there's not.

The only thing I can think of is that your Tesla account is crossed with someone else that owns an EV, and you're seeing *their* data. The good news is (if that's the case), is that unless you're on a PPA, your system has been merrily producing energy, and you've been getting credit for it on *your* e-utility costs, but your data reporting through the Tesla servers is simply messed up.

Please do tell us what you find. This is very interesting.
  • Thanks, Gregbrew. It's so strange. I don't have an EV and I don't have a PowerWall. No one is up those hours. Could you please elaborate this: "then connect (with another device would be best) directly to the TEG's WAP to see if it thinks there's a large flow leaving the PWs. Again...I'll be there's not."

As I'm a n00b at all this still. Thank you!
  • https://www.tesla.com/support/energy/powerwall/own/monitoring-from-home-network
  • Oops! No Powerwall means you don't have a TEG. Your system reports data from the inverter to the small (~4" square) Communications Gateway box via the ZigBee RF protocol. That data then goes to the Tesla servers via your home's wired network.

I'd give 3:1 odds that the app data you're seeing belongs to someone else's account. I know it's not uncommon for installations with weak coms between the inverter and Com Gateway, for the inverter to latch on to a neighbor's Com Gateway, and report through that one. It should still work OK, because the data is labeled with your installation number, which is different than the neighbor's.

I wonder if it's possible that the installers mistakenly attached your data feed to a neighbor's account *at installation*, because your inverter started out connected to their Com Gateway?

I'd give those same odds, that if you walk around your neighborhood, you'll find a house beside or behind you that has solar on their roof and a Tesla in their driveway. If they do, you might knock on their door and introduce yourself, thank them for helping the environment, and explain what you think is happening. You may want to show them your I.D. (that gives your address nearby), just to assuage any concerns that they might have that you're a creep. , and kindly ask them if they'd be willing to give you their Tesla solar installation number. Armed with theirs, and your identifiers, call Tesla customer service (ugh! 1-888-765-2489 or 1-877-961-7652) and they should be able to straighten things out.

Of course, this all depends on whether or not the hypothesis is completely out to lunch.
  • Gregbrew! Go buy yourself some lotto tickets! Tesla tech came by and sho'nuff they mixed up the accounts as you predicted. So, for the last 3 months since my installation, I've been looking at some Laguna Beach guy's data, thinking it was mine. SMH.
  • You're welcome, but much of the credit goes to Jones. He's the one who first noticed the similarity between your night-time power spike and an EV charging power profile. I just had a peek of the graph out of curiosity about what he was seeing, and took it to its next logical conclusion. I've seen too many graphs of EVs charging to consider that it was anything but, having driven EVs since 1997.

Congrats on getting it all straightened out. I'd suggest you download the last three months of *your* data from the Tesla app, and verify that everything looks copacetic.

Cheers!
  • Thanks also to Jones_lab_guy! Wouldn't have ever known without your guys' help.