Model Y

VIN number before delivery

Hi guys, my wife and I ordered a Model Y in NYC at the end of August and received a text 2 days ago notifying us the car will be delivered on Sept. 25th (next Friday), we have yet to receive a VIN number and therefore unable to purchase auto-insurance. Typically how long before delivery should we expect to receive the VIN number? Thanks!

Comments

• check your MPVA on your account page. The VIn will show there
  • For me, the entire process was 19 days from order to delivery. If I recall correctly, the MVPA was posted to my account after about 5-7 days or so. That's where you'll find the VIN.
  • > @stacok_98279004 said:
    > check your MPVA on your account page. The VIn will show there

Pardon my ignorance but what is "MPVA" and where can I find it? Thank!
  • > @rmrobinson06 said:
    > For me, the entire process was 19 days from order to delivery. If I recall correctly, the MVPA was posted to my account after about 5-7 days or so. That's where you'll find the VIN.

Pardon my ignorance but what is "MVPA" and where can I find it? Thank!
  • Its the Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement and it will be listed on the right side on your account page. Just click your vehicle and you should see that with lemon law agreement etc.
  • > @stacok_98279004 said:
    > Its the Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement and it will be listed on the right side on your account page. Just click your vehicle and you should see that with lemon law agreement etc.

Gotcha thanks! We haven't received the contract yet so that's probably why we don't have the VIN yet. Much appreciated.
  • I didn't have any details either until Sunday when I was checking the page for an update. Then I got a call from Tesla and I was able to ask him for an update and he was able to provide a VIN and schedule my delivery. If that information was available, it should have been provided sooner rather than my having to ask for it. The whole process leaves a lot to be desired.
  • > @DR606 said:
    > Hi guys, my wife and I ordered a Model Y in NYC at the end of August and received a text 2 days ago notifying us the car will be delivered on Sept. 25th (next Friday), we have yet to receive a VIN number and therefore unable to purchase auto-insurance. Typically how long before delivery should we expect to receive the VIN number? Thanks!

Hi. I am taking delivery of our Model Y the day after you on the 26th of September. Just wondering what the last 6 of your VIN #'s are in comparison to mine. I am just under 49,000. Thanks.
  • i got a white performance and got my VIN and schedule for 24th pick up. Mine is 46000. I am wondering if anyone who ordered around 8/20 like I did has this type of vin. trying not to drive myself crazy worrying if this is a rejected car or just white/white/performance are not that common and the vin are lower
  • > @redscud said:
    > i got a white performance and got my VIN and schedule for 24th pick up. Mine is 46000. I am wondering if anyone who ordered around 8/20 like I did has this type of vin. trying not to drive myself crazy worrying if this is a rejected car or just white/white/performance are not that common and the vin are lower

Anecdotally, I think you’re fine. I ordered my MY AWD on 8/18, have a delivery scheduled for next week, and am in the 46xxx range.
  • > @ChargingCar said:
    > > @redscud said:
    > > i got a white performance and got my VIN and schedule for 24th pick up. Mine is 46000. I am wondering if anyone who ordered around 8/20 like I did has this type of vin. trying not to drive myself crazy worrying if this is a rejected car or just white/white/performance are not that common and the vin are lower
    >
    > Anecdotally, I think you’re fine. I ordered my MY AWD on 8/18, have a delivery scheduled for next week, and am in the 46xxx range.

Not sure exactly when I ordered..I mean i "ordered" December 16th but let my order sit until mid August. Mine is a White/White AWD Non Performance with 20" Black Turbine wheels. My VIN is 488xx. I called today to my local service center here in sunny S Florida. They told me my Y left the factory on September 9th. Not sure I remember the term he used for the date but something like the "exit" date. The good thing is that all our Y's produced after August 13th WILL have the new tail lights. I see a lot of Y's with people reporting VIN's of around 53xxx. I really don't think there's too much to this. I am thinking they build SO many and SO many sit on the lot in Fremont that it's not a matter of FIFO...but rather load up a truck of vehicles that match the specs and where they need to go and that's why you will see some with lower VIN's that aren't rejects but just when they were pulled and shipped. Besides, we own our car we are trading in so if there are major problems at delivery I will reject the vehicle and just wait even if it means another 2 months (which I'm sure it won't). Remember, Sept is the end of the current quarter. The service centers and dealers are REALLY trying hard to get as many vehicles delivered to up their numbers for the quarter.
  • > @tdwin2000 said:
    > > @DR606 said:
    > > Hi guys, my wife and I ordered a Model Y in NYC at the end of August and received a text 2 days ago notifying us the car will be delivered on Sept. 25th (next Friday), we have yet to receive a VIN number and therefore unable to purchase auto-insurance. Typically how long before delivery should we expect to receive the VIN number? Thanks!
    >
    > Hi. I am taking delivery of our Model Y the day after you on the 26th of September. Just wondering what the last 6 of your VIN #'s are in comparison to mine. I am just under 49,000. Thanks.

Mine is in the 44000s so HA! Anyways by looking at this thread https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1mM8-WVTzJ74qgHZhwtLPpKtzAyCCXTDofOFpFUsqdiA/edit#gid=0 there seem to be a lot of 43000s - 45000s for order dates at the end of August.