Model 3

Software update for poor drivers

Did we really just get a software update that allows people to drive poorly? Why would there be a "stay in the passing lane" option?

The US has a huge problem with drivers that are such poor drivers they live in the far left lane. Germany has no speed limits on many of its highways but they enforce this restriction both with the police and insurance. Hence, German autobahns are safer than US Interstates.

Why would Tesla automate this?

Comments

• If you've driven on parts of CA Highway 5, you'll understand. Most of the freeway is two lanes per side, and trucks destroy the right lane with major cracks and potholes. Traffic is not always that heavy, so you want to say in the passing lane as much as possible. Still, you move over if someone comes upon you. You can go 20-30 miles without having to move out of the passing lane at various times. Obviously, you would not normally use this feature on a three+ lane freeway, if the road quality isn't so bad or traffic is heavy.
  • TEA score 90.
  • No Left lane Restrictions in our state if you drive fast.
  • Maybe they will add a "Sub-feature" that looks at the rear camera and moves over when a car get close, or maybe when it flashes it lights.
  • I think it's an improvement. For one thing, I do have a "preferred" lane sometimes when traveling, and it would be nice if the car could be set to that lane, barring passing, etc. So, if you are in a rt lane on a 4-lane highway, it could use the next leftmost lane for passing, but return you to your preferred lane. This can come in handy when you are aware of the landscape and know that one lane is preferred for an upcoming route.
  • All,
    Don't listen to our native Californians. They are examples of poor drivers to whom the OP refers. I suppose this new feature was put in by California drivers for California (ie "poor") drivers.
    While I love Rx and TT in general, they clearly don't realize that in most states, it is the LAW to remain on the right except when passing and if @TT actually does pull over to the right when approaching, he is one of the very few I've seen on I-5 that does so. Most left lane lingerers just camp out there the whole way from SF to LA whether they are driving faster or slower than those behind them. This, coupled with CA's stupid 55 mph limit for trucks while cars are trying to go 70 mph kills any semblance of smooth traffic flow on I-5 when it gets busy. I avoid it at nearly any cost.
    As far as @mrburke's comment: if one has to flash their lights to tell a poor driver to move over, they are also a poor driver since A: they shouldn't have been driving slower in the left lane anyway, B: if in the left lane, they should have been alert enough to see you approaching, and C: In the People's Republic of CA, you can get arrested for inciting road rage if you flash your lights at someone.
  • Doesn't stop you from hitting your turn signal to change lanes out of the passing lane.
  • Did someone say it is an "option"? SMH
  • @"Magic 8 Ball" : Yup, it's an option. And I tuned the blame thing off, soon as I read about it after the upgrade hit last night.
    Hogging the left lane around here won't win one any favors.
  • Given that you're supposed to be paying attention fully while operating autopilot, if you let it sit in the left lane i would assume that you're not paying attention.
  • > @Tronguy said:
    > @"Magic 8 Ball" : Yup, it's an option. And I tuned the blame thing off, soon as I read about it after the upgrade hit last night.
    > Hogging the left lane around here won't win one any favors.

I did not expect the option and welcome it. If I am in the #1 lane I religiously watch for cars coming up on me and move out of the way when safe. The behavior I did not like is going into the #1 lane and then having the car put me back into #2 behind a slower car and it did that a lot. If I am going faster and passing cars that are in #2 then I am fine being in #1 even if someone is trying to drive into my ass. For past few releases the car was going into lane #3 and sometimes #4 even though my destination was many miles ahead, I was not a fan.
  • Until they improve navigate on autopilot I like this option. It is frustrating on my commute when it moves out of the passing lane when it will only be moving right back over in a few miles to take a left exit. That is frustrating and I would rather manually move out of the passing lane then have it make these unnecessary moves
  • As I don't allow AP to actually do the lane changes, this is somewhat moot in my case. But I can see how the option to change its behavior makes sense.
  • > @macrhino said:

> The US has a huge problem with drivers that are such poor drivers they live in the far left lane. Germany has no speed limits on many of its highways but they enforce this restriction both with the police and insurance. Hence, German autobahns are safer than US Interstates.
    >
    > Why would Tesla automate this?"

Because Tesla is US company so it is formalizing the bad behavior and ignoring all the highway signs that say "Stay Right Except to Pass".

Right lane is least used lane on US highways, usually in better shape than left lane.
  • More lies from Fish. Amazing.
  • A couple of things, to stop the brickbats:
    1. I have it rigged for the car to suggest lane changes. I then let the car do them or not as I please. Locally, there are Really Good Reasons for this: An exit ramp might be a mile or so up on a five-lane highway and NoA might think that the right lane is the right place to be.. Except that there's three or four exits before the one I want and they're loaded with cars getting on and off. Better and safer to do like the humans around here do and wait until until one is about a half mile or less from the exit before getting over. Given that that's the case on the right, I don't mind the reminder to get over when on the left, which, given the left exits around here, sometimes one has to ignore that, too. Although NoA is getting better with those, too.
    2. NJ is one of those, "Pass or get off the pot" states. So hanging out in the left lane doesn't just get one the evil eye from all those speeders doing 85 on the Garden State Parkway, it might get the attention of an unmarked State Trooper doing the same, with time on his/her hands. I can do without the drama.
    For those where the traffic isn't so heavy, the right lane is full of potholes and frost heaves (I think of Indiana for some reason..), knock yourselves out.
  • > I did not expect the option and welcome it. If I am in the #1 lane I religiously watch for cars coming up on me and move out of the way when safe. The behavior I did not like is going into the #1 lane and then having the car put me back into #2 behind a slower car and it did that a lot. If I am going faster and passing cars that are in #2 then I am fine being in #1 even if someone is trying to drive into my ass. For past few releases the car was going into lane #3 and sometimes #4 even though my destination was many miles ahead, I was not a fan.

Few people admit that they are a poor driver publicly. So you’re really observant when you’re in autopilot mode?

Cars should not sit in the fast lane. When I drove on the autobahn my cruise control was frequently set to 125mph. Still even at that speed sitting in the left lane is dangerous. Even for “special” drivers.

If you are not passing cars, get over. Even if you IMAGINE you are a really good driver.

Elon, think about this. Please do not enable poor drivers.
  • > @macrhino said: Please do not enable poor drivers."

More correctly, stop making the car a bad "driver".

Even AutoSteer does it. We have passing lanes on our two lane roads and Tesla will choose the left lane vs. correctly getting in the right lane.
  • > @macrhino said:

> Few people admit that they are a poor driver publicly. So you’re really observant when you’re in autopilot mode?

Yes, I clearly state I watch out for other cars religiously. I am only in lane #1 when I am passing, when it is safe to move over I do so. Apparently there is a language barrier or comprehension issue. I said "if" I am lane #1 I did not say I camp out or "sit in lane" #1.
    I clearly said if I am going faster than cars in #2 lane (I.E. passing) I am fine being in #1 lane "passing lane".

> Elon, think about this. Please do not enable poor drivers.

Get off your high horse. All cars that allow the driver to drive the car enable bad drivers. Proper use of the car is on the driver. All driver assist features, especially blind spot detection, can be viewed as enabling poor drivers.
  • edited September 16
    > @"Magic 8 Ball" said: Proper use of the car is on the driver. All driver assist features, especially blind spot detection, can be viewed as enabling poor drivers."

Except they are viewed the opposite...no surprise there that Tesla Phanbois have it backwards.

But you miss the point here entirely, it is the Tesla that is being the "bad driver" not the human.
  • > @FISHEV said:
    > But you miss the point here entirely, it is the Tesla that is being the "bad driver" not the human.

Nope, the human is still responsible for full control of the car, you have never grasped that concept. You are a blamer, like the rest, and fail to take responsibility for your own deficiencies. We have read volumes of your ridiculous posts trying to blame Tesla for many things that are actually cause by your own incompetence.
  • I’ll throw out a guess, but an uninformed one since I’ve never used FSD: perhaps when you see additional car(s) you will clearly overtake, far enough away that the car would ordinarily change lanes, but not so far that you need to be passed.
  • edited September 16
    > @"Magic 8 Ball" said:

> Nope, the human is still responsible for full control of the car, you have never grasped that concept.

You seem to have missed the topic completely. The issue is the car's not driving safely by staying in the fast lane.
  • > @FISHEV said:
    > > @"Magic 8 Ball" said:
    >
    > > Nope, the human is still responsible for full control of the car, you have never grasped that concept.
    >
    > You seem to have missed the topic completely. The issue is the car's not driving safely by staying in the fast lane.
    >

LOL
  • > @FISHEV said:

> You seem to have missed the topic completely. The issue is the car's not driving safely by staying in the fast lane.
    >

The car is not driving, the driver is driving using driver assist features. The driver is responsible for driving the car. Your incompetence has no bottom.