Model X

Phantom hard braking on autopilot

Hello fellow MX owners -

This issue does not seem to be a new problem with autopilot, but wanted to start a discussion amongst MX owners. I have a 2018 MX with software 2020.36.3.1. I've not had many issues with autopilot until about a month ago, and now with almost every drive with autopilot (daily), I get phantom, unprovoked, hard braking, usually during autolane changes, but also during driving straight.

This is somewhat concerning, as this is a safety issue. If someone is tailgating me, I would most certainly be involved in a rear end collision.

I spoke with Tesla Customer Support, and this has been reported. This was escalated, and I'm awaiting to hear back from the engineers.

Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks.

Comments

• Yes - I have noticed the same issue over the last couple of weeks. I have just updated to the latest software release (2020.36.11) and I had the issue again this morning whilst driving on the motorway and overtaking a car on the inside lane. It’s a major safety issue - have contacted Tesla to arrange a service appt.
  • yes, I have the same issue everytime drive with AP
  • 100% in autopilot for seemingly no reason extremely hard breaking scaring us and extremely abrupt, this NEVER happened before a recent update 2020.32.3 and it is concerning about getting hit from behind. really hope tesla working on this matter. also, recent update wants vehicle on autopilot to pass in right lane, not okay driving that way; another weird glitch.
  • We routinely experience phantom braking when using autopilot of various degrees of deceleration; soft, medium, and very hard, almost violent.

My wife and are always startled and like other have posted, very concerned about someone rear-ending us.

I know submit a ‘bug report - phantom braking’ every time it’s medium and above. On a single 100 mile trip to Seattle a month ago or so, I submitted 3 bug reports for phantom braking. The problem is, you never get any feedback.
  • My understanding is no one looks at bug reports unless you talk to service. It's more useful for some hardware related intermittent, then let service know you created a bug report and tell them what date and time so they can look through the logs.

For software issues like this, I'm sure Tesla is aware of it. The updates over time have reduced the issue. I've not seen a phantom brake event in 9 months or so now, but I'm sure some people still get them in specific situations. It may need the new 4D software that is expected later this year and being rolled out to early access customers now.
  • Faced this a few times.

Tried a few things and have not seen it happen since then (it's only been 2 weeks, the data sample is of a very short duration - so take this with the grain of salt)

1. Disabled the Automatic emergency braking in setting (needs to be disabled before every drive)

2. Updated software to 2020.40.4 and

3. Was informed by a tesla service techician to disable data sharing (the reason was that the car not only shares data but also pulls data for dynamic decisions so a past event with another car might be the trigger for auto braking at a certain location.)

I have stopped disabling the AEB after software upgrade so currently software upgrade seems to be working, if I face another instance then will disable data sharing and finally AEB.

Hope this helps.
  • I've got a Dec-2016 manufactured MX and I immediately noticed the hard phantom braking after the last software update and after the FSD computer upgrade. Before this, I'd get the random braking, but it was always when there were significant dips in the road - and I was able to rationalize the braking to the sensors thinking the sudden change in slope as an obstruction - and braking.
    But now - this braking is extremely hard, random, and very frequent.

I'm going to try @akshayshah10_98059959 suggestions and see if it makes a difference. I've got 2020.36.20, and I'm not sure when Tesla will push this update to me.

In the meantime, Autopilot is pretty much unusable until this issue is fixed.

Thanks all.